Cd/SACD Player - Arcam CDs 27

So you heard it...do you think it sounds like "usual" for an Arcam compared to say a CD 17 or cd 37 ? or due to the change in DACs (and others) it sounds warmer / brighter ... less/more forward / more detailed ?

So you heard it...do you think it sounds like "usual" for an Arcam compared to say a CD 17 or cd 37 ? or due to the change in DACs (and others) it sounds warmer / brighter ... less/more forward / more detailed ?
I haven't heard a 17 or 37 before....coming from a 92 it sounded much more upfront than my existing player, and picking out detail from tracks I really know that I haven't heard before. It really seemed like a fantastic player and great value for money.

Thanks !

Great...and how is contruction , specially in the drive / tray ? solid "metal like" or more "plastic" ?

Yeah it would be quite good to know.

Tempted by the UDP411 a bit now as its getting good reviews but I need it to be pretty silent in operation

Just about to demo this player. Will give feedback as soon as I can.

Listen out for any motor noises :)

I had the demo of this today. It was connected to an Arcam A39 & kef r500 speakers. First off, the tray mechanism, it looked and felt flimsy, even more so than my sony blu ray player (790). When I loaded a cd, there was some noise, but was silent during playback.

I took a few cd's with me, but found myself changing tracks and discs quite quickly, not a good sign. Now, I'm not the most articulate of people, but while listening, you were aware of the speakers instead of them disappearing like they should. Comparing this to my current setup of an AVR600 & CD192 with proac studio 125's, it just did not sound as good to me.

I then tested the Naim CD5si. This was immediately an improvement, the same CD's sounded much better and found myself not wanting to change songs or albums as quickly as before.

So, a little disappointed with the cd27, but if i did not have the 192 i probably would have been all over it like stink on poop.

Hmmm...its replacing a DV139 possibly but maybe not if a bit like this

At least the cds27 has xlr :-D maybe i will give it a try...

I don't think the A39 has balanced inputs, but would have been nice to try. I'm still deciding what to do, go with the Naim 5si, or look at better alternatives. I'm not convinced that the 27 is better than the cd37. I wonder if Arcam are going to release a CD49...

But the "Kind" of sound is similar the CD37 or CD192 ? but maybe not as good in your opinion ? or Brighter, Warmer more/less detailed ?

Do you know if the player had been "Burn In" ? Maybe it needs to...

Today i had a demo of an CA 851c with an old Arcam 350+Focal Chorus, and i really liked it... it's a little punchier/ brighter than an Arcam, but you have 3 different Filters, and they change the sound a little if you listen carefully. One of them makes the player Brighter and another more warm with a little roll off in the High Frequencies. Some people say that it's a little "analytic" but i didn't think felt that at all...maybe the Arcam amplification , doesn't allow it to be much noticeable.

Doesn't have a stream functionality, but works as a DAC... it's a little more expensive than the CDS 27, but seems really well build and the tray isn't flimsy at all.

I also had a demo of a Naim SuperUniti 2 with some Focal Arias, some weeks ago...some call the Naims very "musical" but i didn't really enjoyed it at all...too much forward and "Driven" (but not bright...differente thing) and Punchier for my taste... and not as detailed as an Arcam or the CA 851c.

If my marantz cd 6005 has a somewhat similar sound to that it sound a little more laid back.

But the "Kind" of sound is similar the CD37 or CD192 ? but maybe not as good in your opinion ? or Brighter, Warmer more/less detailed ?

Do you know if the player had been "Burn In" ? Maybe it needs to...

I don't know if the player had been run in, I suspect it may have been brand new out of the box, same for the naim, as I saw him unbox that one.

Just like you said, I didn't think it sounded as good, to me anyway.

Anyone has compared the sound of the Arcam CDs or the internal AVR 750 DACs with say a Audiolab 8200cd or a Cambridge Audio 851c ?

Do you think it wil sound very different (Audiolab , CA and ARCAM) even connected to the same AVR 750 ?

Preferred the DV139 to the 750s DACs but not too much in it

Anyone have any reviews on this player? I looking at the Arcam CDS-27, Marantz SA11S3 and possibly the Esoteric K-05...to replace an Oppo 105.

I'm running a demo model UDP411. Sounds fabulous. Nice and detailed and less shut in than the DV139, if it helps.

I'm not 100% sure how it handles SACDs. They sould pretty great via 2 ch.

Got the mag. They really like it and appears to be the UDP411 minus the video outs etc

Anyone have any reviews on this player? I looking at the Arcam CDS-27, Marantz SA11S3 and possibly the Esoteric K-05...to replace an Oppo 105.
Which one did you get meanwhile? I am also planning to replace the Oppo 105...

Thx for reply in advance
Flo

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom