Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Agamemnon, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Agamemnon

Agamemnon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a real problem with this little bastard, and I haven't found help from anywhere else. Basicly, one fine day, fate decided my stupidity should lead me to installing some crap CD music ripper, as I had some music and no longer a stereo. Now, this program, if I remember correctly, did something to the drive, which stopped me from being able to burn CD's. Reading is fine from both CD and DVD, just not writing, Nero and Easy CD Creator both complain about initialisation failing. or somehting along those lines. I did a reformat, no hope. I got the ASPI firmware for the drive, no hope. But I remember, the installer saying something about installing something to do with ATAPI. When watching it (it took a few secs and I couldn't react in time) I thought "What the f-ing hell has it got to do with it?". And, viola (sp?) when I tried to back up some of my files, it screwed up. It either said it was installing 4, or 5.

I'm using a Sony Viao laptop, PCG-FX33G/BP which I think is a Japan-only model (gave me hell trying to get through the Toshiba website). Running on Win 2000 Pro, with all the normal stuff 'sept a RAM upgrade (Done at times which made it obvious this was not causing the problem). The drive is a Toshiba SD-R2002 CD-RW/DVD-ROM. Picture attached with a scan of the drive, has some random stuff. Tell if you need more detail on any part of the shot.

Thanks in advance for anything you can think of (got to be something to do with reseting firmware to do with ATAPI interface, I would think).

Attached Files:

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi and welcome to the forums :hiya:

It seems unlikely the program would have killed your drive.

Some ideas:

You might want to try removing the entry for your drive from Device Manager and allowing windows to reinstall the drivers. Also try removing Nero and Easy CD Creator and reinstalling them. Try flashing the drive with the latest firmware from www.rpc1.com

Good luck... and post back if you don't have any! ;)

3. Agamemnon

Agamemnon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said in the original post, I've done all of that. (Did a reformat and flashed the drive (not with the latest but the original, and what works better than that?

Also, incase I make this thing work, these DVD reigon free flashes, are they trustworthy?

4. Agamemnon

Agamemnon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can noboy help or advise?