cd rot can i claim for new ones

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by systemsdead, Mar 9, 2006.

1. systemsdead

systemsdead
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,962
    just been thru my cds i have over a thousand some i havent played for years.i have found around 60 or so with black spots on them is there anything i can do to claim new ones from the record companies,the disc are totally unplayable,also some of them have started to peel away the silver label side.at time paid around 10-12 each for them so it all adds up,anyone had success with anything like this.

2. Bobdk

Bobdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi Systemsdead,

I had a problem with a couple of DVD's not long ago and found some information on the matter, unfortunately I seem to have removed it from my computer. However, the gist of it was that the "rot" is caused by the layer on the disc oxidising. This can be caused by a damp/humid environment. The manufacturers will likely claim that you have not stored the discs in perfect conditions and as they are not in control of your storage conditions they are not liable. Whilst my storage conditons are not climatically controlled I would have said there were pretty good. On my DVD's it was the inner layer that was at fault, oddly enough one of my friends had a problem with the same title, Silence of the Lambs, which, reportedly, had been manufactured with a dodgy batch of early discs.
    What I am trying to say is I think you are stuffed! Sorry.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    This thread from a while back has some good info on CD Rot. The first post on the second page may offer some helpful advice for getting a damaged CD replaced.

Mark.

4. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Excellent post & reply from MarkE19 :smashin: ...
    Not that I have lost any CD's to CD Rot but perhaps this thread or the linked one should be "sticky'd" for future reference (?)
    Paul