• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

CD ROM problem with playing audio cds

Odo1991

Standard Member
hey
i built a new computer and everything works fine. up till now i didnt try retrieving music from an audio cd so i didnt notice this problem. when i tried today to move music from my cd to my itunes library it would move the first song, partially, and wont move the rest. when i tried to play it, it would play the first minute and few seconds of the first song and than stop.
this CD rom has no problem with other cd data as far as im concerned, does anyone have any idea why it wouldnt play the audio cd.
by the way this has happened in various players such as windows media player and itunes..
any idea would be more than welcome!!!!

Odo1991

Standard Member
its a Optiarc AD-7200S 20X DVD±RW/DL/RAM Internal SATA Bare Black Drive - OEM if im not mistaken its under SONY.
I did a firmware update so it should be the latest firmware.

on top of what i wrote before i just checked if it will work with cd that i burnt with music and the same thing happens for them.. it would play some songs partially but mostly it wouldnt.

also i just remembered that i think when i got the computer first i did stick in a cd and it did work :S which is kind of strange.

any suggestions?

Centinel

Standard Member
It sounds like the copyright protection on the audio CD itself due to the fact that it handles CD data correctly, have you tried ripping the track to your HDD using audio ripping software e.g. Audio Grabber (free)?. Try that first and see if it works ;).

Odo1991

Standard Member
Yeah i tried ripping it onto my HDD using WMA and iTunes and it didnt work.. i just tried audiograbber and it comes up with an ASPI error :S whats that?

also one of the cds that i try to play/rip has ripped and played successfuly before when i just built hte computer.. so i dont think its the cd :S
any other ideas????? Im depsrate :D

Odo1991

Standard Member
I have a few questions..
if my ASPI is corrupted.. how do i delete it.. or kill it as it says on 1 of the pages u sent me.
and also.. it says that its usually found on versions of windows before windows XP but i am using Vista which is after.. is it still this or just something similar..
again many thanks and hope u can get back to me with more useful responds :)

Centinel

Standard Member
The other methods I know of getting around it, are ripping at a lower speed. You also get the same problem sometimes if an incompatible Optical Software version is installed in vista, a popular one is people installing an incompatible version of Nero.
You could also try this ASPI --> Frog Aspi - Frog Aspi , but back up the file before you overwrite it. Hope that helps :).

Odo1991

Standard Member
Hey,
I was looking for the ASPI file itself and i cant find it :S
any ideas of how i can find it or where?
Im running a Windows Vista-64 bit..

Odo1991

Standard Member
does that maybe mean i dont need to delete anythign and just install the file they recommand??

Should I install Adaptec Aspi before installing FrogAspi?

No.
FrogAspi is an independant Aspi layer.
Programs which used an aspi, check only if wnaspi32.dll is present. So you don't have to install an other aspi! just copy FrogAspi (wnaspi32.dll) into your program directory or into C:\Windows\System32 directory

Centinel

Standard Member
Sorry for the late response, work has been hectic :O. No, I haven't got any other suggestions, when I reach similar positions, I back up my data and reinstall my OS, testing it before and after every piece of software installation to localise the error, that usually does the trick.

Odo1991

Standard Member
yeah i kinda got to the same position here too :D
so what i did on windows vista theres an option to just update ur OS and keeping all your files.. i did that.. at first it didnt find my CDROM but than i fixed that from some tips i got from microsoft.. but now its back with all the date.. and with the same problems :mad:
do you recon i should just erase the partition and start a whole fresh start.. fresh OS.. and do you recon that would make a difference or should techincly give me the same results as updating vista

Centinel

Standard Member
I'd back up my data, restore the OS, do all the "critical" updates, avoid any other drivers but the manufacturers if needed. Then before loading any other software apart from your chosen ripping software test your drive and see what results you get.
OS's can be funny sometimes especially MS Vista, all it could take is one program signature it doesn't like and it'll throw a fit, at least this way you can more or less rule out that and other possible software issues.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom