CD-ROM drives

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by dazed&confused, Feb 28, 2014.

1. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Quite a long time ago I made the mistake of ripping all my CD's to my computer by using Itunes instead of dbpoweramp. I feel that I should start again. My concern is that the CD transport in my computer seems cheap and nasty, and it loads the CD's vertically rather than horizontally in a rather unstable fashion without any kind of damping etc. My head tells me that this is no problem as the dbpoweramp database will correct any errors for me but my gut remains unconvinced and I'm thinking of acquiring a good quality external CD ROM transport to connect via USB.

So my question is this: am I correct in thinking that dbpoweramp will automatically correct any reading errors, rather than just reporting them, and is there any advantage to be had from a better quality, external drive? Maybe the drive would speed up the process by having to take fewer readings? And what about reading obscure CD's that have few if any copies in the dbpoweramp database?

Finally, is it easy to export my ripped files from dbpoweramp into an itunes library?

Many thanks for your advice....

2. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    I doubt the dbpoweramp database will correct any errors , if it uses Accuraterip it may tell you there's a problem although I've never been a fan of Accuraterip myself.

The rip accuracy will depend on the error correction on the CD-drive and how good the ripping app is at re-reading a sector until it gets a clean read, which is where some peeps feel iTunes falls short. That's why EAC is still favoured, it can be slow as it's repeatedly checking the read is good.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  3. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks amcluesent

Clearly I need to do some research on the matter. There appears to be loads of info on the net, along with loads of conflicting views and preferences. Could you kindly recommend a good, clear and comprehensive overview for me to read?

Regarding

[quote="The rip accuracy will depend on the error correction on the CD-drive and how good the ripping app is at re-reading a sector until it gets a clean read, which is where some peeps feel iTunes falls short."[/quote]

I infer from this that some CD drives are better for the job than others, and thus that it would be worth me investing in one. Could you make a suggestion or recommendation?

Many thanks

4. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
  5. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: