1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Rentals?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by GroundhogDay, Jul 22, 2004.

1. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if any business is doing CD music rentals like the DVD rental businesses that are around? It would seem a good way of exploring new music for one thing especially if like me you have a slow internet connection.

2. whiteflyer

whiteflyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you been to your local libary?

The ones in the Bolton area all loan CDs 80p for 3 weeks, which gives plenty of time to have a good listen.

3. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, here in Cornwall they are 60p for 1 week. But the choice is fairly limited. It seems to me that there is a commercial opportunity for someone to exploit - providing a CD rental service. Anyway, its a good source of income for the local library! I'm surprised that someone hasn't tried it. Maybe in the age of CD burning, MP3s and downloading theres no one willing to go into the market.

I guess the next best thing is to find e-friends with similar musical tastes to swap/loan/share music with. Preferrably ones with a big CD collection! Which is probably most of us....... my floor is usually cluttered with the latest batch of CDs. Seems music is one thing we can't get enough of.

4. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,678
    When I lived in Germany for a while, there were plenty of CD rental shops, very much like video rental shops today. They had a large selection, you sign up become a member, and then browse and pick CDs for the week. It was great!

5. spike99

spike99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With the ever increasing DVD rental options by post, I am also surprised that this has not been doen before. I wonder if there is a legal issue though, as copying is now a given right.

6. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Single artist mp3's.