1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD recorders

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Bert Coules, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Can anyone recommend, or perhaps even point me towards a source of, a standalone CD recorder?

Many thanks,

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Do you really need stand alone, under £30 for a PC one and it'll work the same.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    ...it'll work the same.

Er, no it won't. For one thing, it will suffer from a severe lack of PC to put it in. I need a unit to go into my audio rack, a good forty feet from the nearest computer. And in any case, I'm afraid I'm too old-fashioned to happily embrace the idea of using my PC as the basis for absolutely everything in the audio/visual line: it's too messy, too complicated and too prone to crashing.

Richer Sounds are listing a Philips CDR796 dual-deck machine at under £180; does anyone have any experience of that particular model?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I had a Philips double deck a couple of years ago which made perfect copies but went wrong and researching on the net suggests they are not very reliable. I've just ordered a Sony one from Superfi for £160 including a 5 year waranty which got excellent reviews.

5. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Bassbin,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't looked for online reviews of the Philips yet; I'll do that today. I'll also check out that Superfi Sony offer, though I must confess to a (largely irrational) aversion to Sony gear.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

6. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've been using a Pioneer 609 for the last 12 months or so. Makes consistently superb recordings and very easy to use.

7. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Steve1056,

Thanks for the recommendation. Another one to check out!

Edited to add:

As you say, very good reviews. But I can't find any online retailer who actually sells this model. Do you know if it's still available?

Later:

Ah! Just found it at Superfi for £189.95 with free delivery.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want something a bit better check out Nad's C660 disc to disc recorder, much better quality. but about £500 (possibly more i forget)

9. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thanks for the recommendation, but that's more than I really want to pay.

I'd be interested to know in what ways you consider the NAD better: sound qualty? Build? Reliability? Ease of use?

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    been using my Yamaha 4x writer in my PC for nearly 8 years now...no problems!!

11. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    mjn,

Thanks for that, but what I'm after is a stand-alone deck, not dependent on a PC.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have had Philips and Marantz CD recorders, both of which became faulty, refusing to record.
    Eventually I was supplied a Pioneer PDR-509 as a replacement which has worked perfectly for three years or so.
    If buying again I would definitely have another Pioneer. :cool:

13. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thanks for that. I do like the look of the Pioneer (and two recommendations from users here count for a lot) but there's a sizeable price difference between the 609 at £190 and the Sony RCDW3 at £140, give or take the odd penny or two.

Has anyone owned or used the Sony? Any opinion would be welcome.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

14. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi - just a comment...

You would be wise to check if the player can use (or be made to use) normal computer CDR's - many are limited to using the higher cost "Audio" CDR's...

I had a Philips until receintly - an easy hack exists for them to allow normal CDR recording...

Have fun..

David

15. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    David,

Thanks. I had assumed that the CD recorder decks were restricted to "audio" blanks becase the data-only ones were manufactured to a lower spec, not suitable for music. Are you saying that this isn't, in fact. the case?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

16. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi

Well, its my understanding that there is a "levy" on the audio ones that goes siomewhere in the record industry - hence the higher cost.

I really doubt if there is any quality difference as its all "1's and 0's" at the end of the day...

I may be wrong on the levy front, but it does make sence...

Must be worth looking into however, as Audio blanks are much more expensive that a "stick" of 100 80min CDR's as a tenner?

David

17. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    David,

One hundred blanks for ten pounds? Where from?

I think you might well be right about the levy, but such things are pretty much a mystery to me. What's certain is that I don't want to embark on dubbing my rarer cassettes and reel-to-reel recordings onto CD without making certain that the discs I use are good enough.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

18. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi again...

I would not doubt cheap blanks... I do know what you mean though - it does seem "risky"!!! I have not had any issues - with reliability or compatibility... If you are worried, ask the vendor as to who makes them - its usually one of the big names you already know..

The blanks I buy are usually on a "Stick" of 100... meant for mass duplication and very common these days..! I usually buy from Silicon Group (.co.uk) who are in Edinburgh. Obviously you dont get any cases... just disks...

What about transferring your music to a PC just to rip them, then just burn the CD's as you want? A long cable from CPC would not break the bank.... even a cheapo 10m phono phono is about £1.20 plus vat...

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...atalogue&category_name=&product_id=CBBR084466

Have fun... at least you have options!

David

19. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    David,

I have thought of using a PC and transferring the tapes to hard disk first, but I would prefer to use a dedicated CD recording deck. Quite apart from not wanting a cable trailing through my rooms, I can't afford to tie up the computer for long periods.

There's also the point that part of me resists using a PC for this sort of thing when a unit solely designed for CD burning and nothing else is available. This is probably irrational, I know. If I didn't feel this way, I'd consider getting a second PC and siting it near the audio gear, but then I'd be into all the complications of housing the unit, the keyboard, the mouse and the monitor, not to mention the added noise and all the rest of it; so on balance I think I'm better off with my prejudice.

Thanks for the information about the cheap blanks.

Have fun!

Oh, I already am!

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

20. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi...

Yes, I agree.. PC's are nasty noisy things that often dont work... but we put up with them!

The Philips one I had worked great... I sold it as I needed the rack space and found Mr PC was doing the burning...

I would still check the CDR compatibility... you just never know when your last blank is a PC one!!!

Have a good night!

David

21. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Well, he who hesitates, etc. I went back to the Superfi site today intending to order the Sony dual-CD deck, only to find that the price had shot up by almost £50 since last week...

Edited to add:

My apologies to Superfi. They've replace the RCDW100 with a different model, hence the price rise.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

22. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I'll add my name to the list of happy Pioneer CD-RW decks.
    I've had the PDR-555RW for about 6 years now and it has worked without any problems. It cost me about £400 but the newer models are far cheaper now.
    Yes the decks do only record to Audio CD-R(W)'s and not those for PC's - unless you can find a hack to get around it.

Mark.

23. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Mark,

Thanks for the recommendation. Pioneer certainly seems to be leading the field. Since I'll be using the recorder to dub both from audiocassettes and from other CDs, it seemed to me that one of the twin-deck models would be a good bet as it would avoid the need to switch inputs when changing sources.

I'll check around, but do Pioneer do a twin-deck model, do you know? Though of course I might be over-stressing the hassle of switching inputs...

Edited to add:

I've now ordered the Pioneer PDR609. All you enthusiastic Pioneers users can't be wrong. Many thanks for the recommendations.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

24. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also recommend the pioneer. As others have said its easy to use and makes good copies. The whizzbang I really like is the ability to put in tracks at set intervals (good when copying from an analogue source such as radio).

Good luck choosing

25. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    WSC,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the fixed-interval track divisions, but it's a feature that I'll definitely be using. My Pioneer is on its way...

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

26. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    The manual for the Pioneer 609 does indeed say that data CD-Rs definitely will not work in it.

Is there then some actual physical difference between the data discs and the audio/consumer ones?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

27. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Bert

What I would try is to boot the player up, insert a real audio CDR, wait for it to settle down, then sneak the tray open with your finger nail... then swap the cdr for a PC one...

Close the drawer and away you go...

It works on most Pioneer units - give it a try on yours...

D

28. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
  29. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I've now received and played with my Pioneer 609 and very fine it is too.

What's the general opinion on the whole business of printing directly onto CD and DVD blanks? And does anyone know of a source for Audio CD-Rs with a plain white printable surface?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

30. verytalldave

verytalldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.....my first post to this forum......
    I have just ordered a NAD C660 double CD recorder. The reason I have gone for such an expensive model is simply down to quality of product. I was advised to avoid all Phillips recorders as they seem to be frail and more likely to play up. Also, the NAD has a 2 year parts and labour guarantee - which must say something. Like a revious poster, I was advised to steer clear of PC burners as their quality was sometimes a bit suspect.
    The cost of audio discs versus PC discs is not a big consideration. I would rather get a top drawer copy than save a couple of quid. Over the years its not an important factor.
    Can anyone offer any USEFUL advice on making CD copies? Has anyone got any hands-on experience of the NAD? If so, what are its good and not so good points?
    Thanks to all.......
    Dave.