1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Recorders - Beginners questions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Fast Eddie, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    1. Thinking of getting one of these, mainly for recording off the radio and tv. Is this possible?

2. Can you stop and start with recording, add extra tracks later, etc and then finalise when all complete like a pc cd writer or does recording have to be all in one hit?

3. Can they use cdr cdrw disks to record on or does it only work with audio cdr?

4. Is the playback quality of the player generally ok or is it inferior to the equivalent priced cd player?

5. What is generally considered to be the best budget recorder?

6. Where's the best place to buy hifi seperates second hand?

7. Have I asked too many questions? ;-)

TIA

Ed

2. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm assuming you're talking about a CD recording deck.

1. Yes. CDR decks have line inputs, so if you have appropriate outputs on your radio/TV this isn't a problem. If you want to record from DAB/DVD you could also record via an optical/coaxial cable. A timer is very useful (I have the TEAC CDRW800 which has a timer built in). Many decks don't have a built in timer.

2. Yes, you can stop recording and add tracks later. With CDR don't finalise until you're done. CDRW's can be unfinalised at any time. Unfinalised CDR's can't be played in normal CD players.

3. Consumer decks only use audio ('for consumer') CDR's and CDRW's. Pro decks can use computer CDR/RW.

4. Digital copy's are 'bit perfect'. Some say better than original due to reduced jitter.

5. Pioneer PDR-609 (~£200).

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd agree with pretty much all of the above,but with the exception of quality....jitter is dependent on the quality of the digital pathway in the PC(where using a PC CD copier)and usually this is fairly awful for digital noise levels,usually coming from poorly deisgned switchmode power supplies and relatively low quality clocks.
    I can certainly tell the difference between a copied CD and the original using my system,and wouldnt say I have the best ears around!

Having said that,the quality is pretty good,with only some slight flattening of soundstage and dynamics compared to the original.

Linn CD
    Perpetual Technologies P1A upsampler/interpolator.
    TagMclaren AV32R
    Krell KMA-100 monoblocs
    B&W Nautilus 805's
    REL 201 Sub

4. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I put that in without thinking really. Still, I'm sure I've read about it somewhere... If you're recording from radio or TV it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I have a Philips recorder I bought SH for around 100 notes, its brilliant, but I dont use it for playback as its not as good as my CD player.

Sound quality is brilliant and I have to say I cant spot a copy from the real thing, if I listen to computer recorded music there is a marked difference, so the dedicated audio recorder wins hands down (though its very much slower).

I have recorded a few vinyl records that have deteriorated over the years and somehow its managed to breathe new life into them.

One point to remember is though you can add tracks, you cannot move them around like mini disc.