CD Recorder question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by chef, Aug 9, 2002.

1. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered a Philips CDR-775 CD Recorder. Its a twin deck CD to CD recorder but also has analogue and optical inputs.

So, to my question, Apart from the obvious recording from the CD player, I will connect it to my DAV-S300 DVD amp via phono leads and will want to record some stuff from the music channels off Sky. Does anyone know what the quality will be like?

2. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably will be ok. Have you thought about downloading Mp3z for your free music, it would be a lot easier!

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It will be fine.

4. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys!

Yes I have thought about downloading MP3's but space has restricted me to locate the CD recorder with my other AV equipment and not near a PC. Besides, wont the quality be better from the TV?

5. DaveMac

DaveMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chef,

Funnily enough I do exactly the same and have no probs at all. What TV are you using as I did a have a problem with one make?

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Philips as i've been looking at that also,

Take care,

Dave

6. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my DAV-S300 connected to a Sony KV-24WX1 and run phono leads from the audio outs of the TV into the DAV-S300 so anything played through the television will be processed by the amp of the DAV-S300.

When I have my Philips in place I will do some recording off the sky music channels and let you know what it sounds like.

7. DaveMac

DaveMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not tried the Sony KV-24WX1 but I did have problems with a Sony KV28FQ75......as it happens I had an impurity problem that eventually resulted in swapping for KD32DX100 and since then no problems. I never mentioned the sound problem to the engineer but I tried it on my mates and it was the same for him. Nothing major, just never seemed as clear.

Anyway, it would be good to hear what u think of the Philips. I normally try to stick with Sony even though they are sometimes a bit more expensive the quality overides.

BTW.....which which brand interconnect cable are you using to connect up ?

8. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks DaveMac

Do you find you loose a lot of quality recording from an Analogue source on a digital format?

9. DaveMac

DaveMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not on current TV but I did on the FQ75.....like I said I have no idea why. At the time I suspected something to do with DRC but I don't know enough about the subject to be sure. I've connected in exactly the same way this time but have no problems now.
    Are you able to test on any other sets?

10. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave Mac

I dont think DRC had anything to do with it as this is a Picture enhancement feature on Sony Sets and nothing to do with the audio. Was the FQ75 audio outs fixed at line level or were they adjustable?

I'm not sure if I can test on other sets but I'm sure everything will be fine with my set up. I'm just worried about the quality deteriation recording from an analogue source but as you have had no problems, I'll give it a go! I haven't thought about what brand leads to use to connect it up. Any recommendations?

11. DaveMac

DaveMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only thought it might be DRC cos I was looking for differences but as I've said I don't know too much about the subject....still I did have quite a few problems with the set so maybe it was something else....anyway no problems now. The FQ75 sometimes produced a hissing and sometimes a humming noise through the Amp.

I think it was fixed.....not 100% sure now but I seem to remember the output level is not adjustable/variable on the FQ75.

My mate has suggested the ixos or prowire and there is a review in WHat Hifi mag last month on phone interconnects....I'll see if I can dig it out if you don't have it.

12. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quote:
    My mate has suggested the ixos or prowire and there is a review in WHat Hifi mag last month on phone interconnects....I'll see if I can dig it out if you don't have it.

Excellent, I have that mag so I'll have a look.

13. DaveMac

DaveMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW what made you go for the Philips in the first place? Have you looked at any Sony recorders if they do etc....might be you will avoid any imcompatability problems!

14. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love Sony equipment, their quality is second to none but unfortunately, they haven't launched a CD to CD recorder yet and couldn't advise if they would be releasing one.

The Philips has everything I need and looks good for what I could afford. I shouldn't think there is any compatibility issues coz I heard Philips use Sony components and vice versa

15. DaveMac

DaveMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you order the Philips from?

Did you get the Sony stuff recently....my mate here at work is looking for a Sony av amp but I'm not sure where the best/cheapest place to buy is....any suggestions?

Did you see the review btw.....I said last month but when I checked it was actually the august issue.

16. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DaveMac

I ordered The Philips from Gratan Catalogue as they are doing a buy now, pay February and then pay over 50 weeks. I know it will work out more expensive but I didnt have £280 to pay out right. I'm hoping it will be delivered next week so I can hook it up.

I've had my Sony KV-24WX1 televsion for over 2 years now and my Sony DAV-S300 for just over a year. The television was bought from Comet for £469.99 and the DAV-S300 was bought from Dixons for £399.95. It might be best to shop around. I would look on Sony's website www.sony.co.uk for the product info and then shop around for the best price.

No, I havent seen the review yet as I dont have the August issue, but will probably go and get it at lunch time.

17. DaveMac

DaveMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know if you can't find and I'll scan and e-mail

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chef,

This is an interesting concept (I'm not at all technical so bear with me). I record a lot of music and never thought to record straight onto CD. Will this work with any tv....I have a Sony like you but not the same model number? Have you tried it on any other Sony TV's like some of the newer models....is it easy to set up or do I need to get my boyfriend to do?

Thanks

T.I.M.
    X

19. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iron Maiden,

Providing your Sony Television has audio phono outputs and you have a CD recorder with audio phono inputs, you will be able to record anything that is played through the television (audio only).

However, I am going to connect my CD recorder to my Sony DAV-S300 which is an all in one DVD player Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, Amplifier and tuner.

It is quite an easy process if you know how!!

20. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DaveMac

Couldn't get hold of the August Issue yesterday but I visited a few Electrical shops that sell Hi-Fi equipment and I think I'll go with the Ixos leads. The sales men in the stores basically said I couldn't go wrong with any Gold Connection Phono Leads.

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chef,

You're talking to the typical dumb blonde (albeit natural) here!!! You sound like you work in the industry....any tips??

T.I.M
    X

22. DaveMac

DaveMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

OK...but more than happy to send/fax if you want.....

23. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DaveMac,

Thanks but its ok, I think I've made up my mind now!

Iron Maiden,

No I dont work in the industry, wish I did but I'm just speaking from experience and what I've learned.

Any tips you ask? Well I suppose it depends on what exactly you want to do?

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well years ago I used to record music from the Tv onto audio cassette but would now like to do the same onto CD, mainly from music channels on SKY.

We already have an amp (surround sound system) and I had been thinking about buying a CD recorder just to make my own compilations but better still if I can record direct from the TV.

I guess my only concern is how much space it will take up. I don't really need to connect the recorder to my main TV do I?....like you said any tv with the right outputs will do (or do better Tv's have better outputs?). Is your Sony your main TV or just the TV you use for recordings then use another set for "normal" viewing.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

T.I.M
    X

25. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iron Maiden,

No, you dont need to connect a CD recorder to your main TV providing you have another TV with audio outputs. As far as I am aware, unless someone can correct me, most TV's audio outputs are fixed at line level. Some are adjustable I think. So the quality will releatively be the same from TV to TV. To get the best qulaity, you will need good quality leads!

My TV is my main TV so I will be keeping my CD recorder with my TV, Video and DVD system. Luckily I have the space!

26. Bluestu

Bluestu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Am I missing something here Chef or are you saying you now don't actually own the FQ75?

27. chef

chef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm my Nan's Grandson using her login! So go bother someone else! This has nothing to do with the FQ75 site! Thank you.

28. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    chef

Regardless of whether this has anything to do with the Sony FQ75, there´s no need to tell a Moderator to go bother someone else. An answer to his question would have been sufficient.

29. Bluestu

Bluestu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Jase,

Chef has been quite active in another area making some controversial statements about a set he claims to know well and own (Sony FQ75). It seems from his statements here that this may not be the whole story.
    I'm not entirely sure why he feels the need to comment on a situation he can know nothing about but lets hope the sillyness ends here!

30. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice chef....I'm going out this weekend to get what I need.

T.I.M.
    X