CD Receiver - any good / better alternatives to DM41 (which is not available)

Simon2000

Novice Member
I am looking for a single box CD receiver / mini-hi-fi solution. The main requirements are:
  1. Decent sound quality at low/medium volumes
  2. Must have CD player
  3. DAB / internet radio
  4. Easy to use, suitable for an older person who can manage the basics but is not massively "tech savy"
  5. Bluetooth / streaming capability a bonus but probably not required
I have looked at the following:
1 Denon DM41DAB - WhatHiFi like this (5 star review) and it is cheap - but out of stock pretty much everywhere, certainly not available online at the moment in the UK
2 Marantz MCR412 - bit more expensive, but I have read some negative comments on the sound quality ("uninsipiring" "dull")
3 Marantz MCR612 - getting to top of budget now, looks very similar to the MCR412 but with extra streaming features, but What-hifi say the "sound lacks excitement", so I am guessing the MCR412 and MCR612 basically suffer from the same issues here.
4 Denon CEOL N11DAB - these CEOL models look sleek but are too reliant on apps / remote controls, not even a volume control on the front, which is a deal breaker.

So I have ruled out the CEOL, and the Denon DM41 was my original favourite but is out of stock, so I am now looking at the Marantz MCR412 or possibly MCR612 (this one a bit expensive / top of budget), but I fear the sound quality of these will be a disappointment.

Are there any other options? I suppose I may have to consider separates, but prefer a single box solution.

Many thanks,

Helix Hifi

Marantz are not dull at all. Buy it, if you’re not happy return it. Marantz has pleasing, relaxing dynamic sound.

If your heart is set on Denon, then maybe some shops have some demo models. Used is an option to.

What a hifi “5 stars” is nonsense.

mseve1

Don't forget to consider Yamaha in your shortlist. Their MCR-N470D and MCR-N670D systems (incl speakers) are good alternatives to the Marantz 412/612 models. I would suggest that there is little difference in SQ between each of these manufacturer's equivalent electronics.

Ascotbilly

I’d go the DM41 all day long and spend the savings on some speakers.

Try this place they stock a lot of Denon kit - Ask for Ken the owner. Have bought a few bits of kit from him over the years including an early DM set and my recent Rega Amp just before lockdown

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I am looking for a single box CD receiver / mini-hi-fi solution. The main requirements are:
  1. Decent sound quality at low/medium volumes
  2. Must have CD player
  3. DAB / internet radio
  4. Easy to use, suitable for an older person who can manage the basics but is not massively "tech savy"
  5. Bluetooth / streaming capability a bonus but probably not required
I have looked at the following:
1 Denon DM41DAB - WhatHiFi like this (5 star review) and it is cheap - but out of stock pretty much everywhere, certainly not available online at the moment in the UK
2 Marantz MCR412 - bit more expensive, but I have read some negative comments on the sound quality ("uninsipiring" "dull")
3 Marantz MCR612 - getting to top of budget now, looks very similar to the MCR412 but with extra streaming features, but What-hifi say the "sound lacks excitement", so I am guessing the MCR412 and MCR612 basically suffer from the same issues here.
4 Denon CEOL N11DAB - these CEOL models look sleek but are too reliant on apps / remote controls, not even a volume control on the front, which is a deal breaker.

So I have ruled out the CEOL, and the Denon DM41 was my original favourite but is out of stock, so I am now looking at the Marantz MCR412 or possibly MCR612 (this one a bit expensive / top of budget), but I fear the sound quality of these will be a disappointment.

Are there any other options? I suppose I may have to consider separates, but prefer a single box solution.

Many thanks,

I’d first ignore anything WHF has to say. It’s a meaningless comic, I mean quite literally too. Once summed and re-read, their articles are semantic nonsense.

What speakers will you be using?

I’d personally ignore the Marantz offerings. They have very little in the way of reserve current. Not a power amp to covet.

Simon2000

Novice Member
I’d first ignore anything WHF has to say. It’s a meaningless comic, I mean quite literally too. Once summed and re-read, their articles are semantic nonsense.

What speakers will you be using?

I’d personally ignore the Marantz offerings. They have very little in the way of reserve current. Not a power amp to covet.

I have no speakers, so will need to buy something suitable along with the unit, possibly the speakers the manufacturers supply if well matched, although looking at other options.

Helix Hifi

Denon PMA6000NE with matching Denon CD player. Triangle Bora speakers. The book shelves ones.

Then add 2.5 mm speaker cables, RCA cables. This system well put smile on your face when playing music. Plus it’s an old fashion CD player.

CD players makes me nostalgic. I remember I bought cd singles!

Ascotbilly

@Helix Hifi - That’s a cracking system I fancy it myself !

I remember buying an early Foo Fighters CD Single and being “amazed” at the multimedia section of a couple of videos. The things we take for granted nowadays!

Helix Hifi

Triangle Bora BR03 they are called. Front ported bass reflexes too. So easy to place in the listing room. I imagine placing them in book shelves with some soft feet’s underneath the speakers is going to sound splendid. Or get speaker stands.

Denon is called PMA 600NE. My mistake. This might cost more then your original budget/plan. However you well be rewarded with better sound.

Other book shelves speakers are QA 3030i. This are large book shelves speakers, depth wise.

Must admit I have not listed to any Triangle speakers. However I keep reading they are good speakers.

Helix Hifi

I have no speakers, so will need to buy something suitable along with the unit, possibly the speakers the manufacturers supply if well matched, although looking at other options.
I believe there are mini hifi system with matching speakers. Sony as example. I had something similar in the late 90’s. I seem to remember Denon also has it. At least few years ago.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
‘I have no speakers, so will need to buy something suitable along with the unit, possibly the speakers the manufacturers supply if well matched, although looking at other options.’

In that case I’d suggest a better alternative.

The above is a fine bargain. An excellent mini system, with a robust power supply and proper speakers.

Alternatively,

And these. A modern legend at a splendidly silly price;

I think either will delight you.

I’d be more tempted by the QA Concept 20s if it were my cash.

I’d also consider using the optical input for my tv. Doubling the pleasure and use of the cash.

A small, nearly invisible Bluetooth or streaming device can be added to either the other digital input or the analogue one should you decide you’d like one.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom