1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-R/RW Playback on HIFI CD Player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Sunday Ironfoot, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Marantz CD6000 KI CD player and have come across some CD-R music discs that won't play on it, either it'll display an error reading disc message or it'll play the first track and sorta crash. However, I have four that play absolutely fine, no problems what-so-ever, all discs (including one's that do and don't play) were recorded on the same PC, using the same software (Nero 5.5). In terms of disc makes, three of the one's that do play are 'Discplanet' and the other is unknown, all the one's that don't play are 'Infiniti'.

Now I have looked at the discs and have noticed that the discs that do play have a slightly darker underside (the data side), dark green, while the ones that don't play are much lighter in colour, think silver colour with a very faint greeness too them. Could this be the cause of the problem, or is it simply down to my Marantz CD player being picky about different makes of CD-R's?

All discs are CD-Rs, all finalised, no CD-Text, recorded at 48X using 'disc-at-once' method.

2. bigboss

bigboss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sunday i am having exactly the same problems with my CD6000 OSE LE . I have some Traxdata cdrs which play fine.I got them from someone already recorded, ive tried Packard Bell , TDK and Liteon discs and have had the same probs with all them.Ive tried varying write speeds from 4x to 48x ,no text ,text all with the same result.It seems that the player firstly reads the disc ok then when you play, sometimes it shows error sometimes it plays ok,then if you skip a track it errors again.Really frustrating.Ive played all the discs perfectly in my Panasonic portable and have tried the discs in others to , no probs!I had a CD63 se before and it had similar probs .Ive also tried a different burning prog from Nero ,no difference.
    Ill keep checking this thread to see if you have any success and will inform if i have any
    Totally pi...d off
    Bigboss

3. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I'm sure there's a technical reason fot it, this sort of thing seems to be pretty much pot-luck.

I have a thirteen or so year old Quad 66 CD player that reads everthing I put in it, my mates brand new Saab won't read a single CDR/RW that he put in it, my (previous) Toshiba DVD player would only read CDRs that were OEMd by one particular company...

Best advice would be to go to somewhere like www.121cdr.co.uk and get a sampler pack and try burning at a lower speed and see which, if any work on your player.

regards
    Paul

4. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigboss, are your CD-R's a dark green colour or a light green colour?

I have tried 'Discplanet' media (white label one's) and these play absolutely fine in my Marantz CD player.

5. bigboss

bigboss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tdk ones i have are Silver both sides,as are the Packard.Where do you get the Diskplanet ones from?

6. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the 6000 KI as well and haven't had any probs altho I've only tried it with the TDK CD-R XG discs ...

DTTB

7. bigboss

bigboss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TDK ones are CD-R 80 METALLIC.

8. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems here either. I use Imation 80 min 48x on my Marantz 6000 OLE LE, I put cd-text on every disc using Nero, and have never had a problem.

9. johnr2000

johnr2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sunday,

Warning, this reply won't be of much use to you so is for interest only.

Just to say however, the real problem is that recordable CD's don't reflect the laser light (produced by the head in the player) in quite the same way as comercially recorded CDs. With recordable CD's you end up with a recording whose optical properties often don't quite meet the original CD technical specification as defined years ago! However, we all make use of the fact that many players will tolerate this shortcoming. Even the alignment of a player may determine the success of playing a CD-R. Threfore it isn't really fair to blame any player as long as it plays commercial CD's. The original CD spec. as thought up by SONY and PHILIPS was never meant to be a recordable system. Many people at the time assumed a fully compatible domestically recordable system would never be possible. Worringly, they haven't yet been proved wrong!!
    One useless piece of info, - commercial CD's are made using just a few original masters. A series of processes are used to make negative stampers which are pressed into the final CD material to form the recording instantaneously. Notice the similarity with vinyl record production!

I hope you have some success finding which players like which discs!

JohnR

10. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    All well and good unless the player has CD-REWRITABLE PLAYBACK stamped on the fascia ... (6000 KI SIG)

DTTB

11. johnr2000

johnr2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see where you're coming from! You're not the only person to have been caught out by such labelling on a deck. It's not a great idea for manufacturers to make such a claim. There's much variablilty of CD/Rs and CD/RWs and to a lesser extent different recorders. CD player manufacturers can argue that certain discs aren't up to it. The disc manufacturers will argue it's the recorder or player that's the problem. Meanwhile the poor consumer gets stuck in the middle.

JohnR

12. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to some computer shops and see what makes they have, again check for dark green coloured one's over silver-faint-green one's. Are you resident in the UK?

13. bigboss

bigboss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I live In Scotland

14. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought, but perhaps they have more in mind consumer audio CD-R/RWs 'burnt' on CD recording decks (especially their own?) rather than via a PC CD writer.
    I don't know if there's any difference in the process, or disks, but I've not had any problems with CD-R/RWs (from various brands) recorded on a deck, but some with PC burnt CD's. I put that down to my own incompetence at the time.

15. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    AFAIK, there is no 'chemical' difference between 'Audio' CDRs and regular CDRs. Audio ones simply have a flag on them to tell a tabletop recorder that it is acceptable. Once accepted by the recorder, all other things being equal, the end result is exactly the same as a PC burnt disc.

One of the difficulties here is in determining where the problem lies. There are two fundamental reasons why a given player won't play a given disc:

a) it can't 'see' the data on the disc
    b) it can 'see' it, but doesn't understand it.

(a) is caused by incompatibility between the player and the disc medium,

(b) is caused by errors in the recording process (ie - usually a software issue, or a problem with the burner.

The first thing to try is to burn your discs at a lower speed. Another thing to try is to use a different burn software. Another thing to try is to borrow someone else's PC with CD burner but use the same blank discs. Also, if you are burning straight from a compressed format like MP3 or WMA - try uncompressing the audio into .wav format first on your PC before burning your CD.

Using a process of elimination like this will help you narrow down where your problem lies - which, as I say, may be incompatbility between the player and disc, but may also be bad burning, corrupted data structure etc.

In my experience, unplayable CDs are more often the result of a bad burn (ie incomprehensible/corrupt data) rather than disc/player problems.

16. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is the CD-R's that don't play in my Marantz play fine in my PC and other CD players/HIFI systems around the house. I think it's more to do with the CD Player being picky about different brands.

17. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried using a lens cleaner on your Marantz? In general, the laser pickup will have to work harder with CD-R/RWs, so this might help it in recognising and reading the disks (if the lens is at all dirty or dusty).
    I've used an Allsop cleaner in the past to good effect.

18. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point, I'll give it a shot. BTW do cheap lens cleaners work as well as more expensive one's or are they just all the same. I don't want to pay extra for a proper audiophile quality lens cleaner if it works just the same as a cheap one bought from Dixons.

19. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Um.. has anyone had a CDRW fail to play..?

All I can see in this thread is a failure to play CDRs which it doesn't claim to do (on the fascia anyway).. :devil:

20. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that depends on whether you believe the claims/hype :rolleyes: . There's carbon-edge, or microfibre this and that. Probably all pretty similar in the end. Good luck.

21. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    It is most often the case that

a) a CD player WILL play CDRs but won't play CDRWs. So, CD players that CAN play CDRWs are often specifically advertised/labelled because it's unusual.

b) an early DVD player WILL play CDRWs but won't play CDRs. So, DVD players that CAN play CDRs (which is becoming increasingly the norm) tended to be specifically labelled, again, because it (was) unusual.

22. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    I used to have a CD4000 CD player and was CDR/CDRW. I had no problems playing either one. Some players are picky on what speed the discs are burned at. Try 8 or 12x instead of 48x.

23. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    When I had a 6000 OSE LE I regularly got "Disc Error" messages with numerous disks. (CDR and RW and also originals)

I sent the player back for a refund.

My Philips 963SA is a much better CD player anyway, so it was a blessing in diguise :)

Attached Files:

24. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As well all the previous things posted, one other thing that it "could" be - some players don't like 80min media, or only like certain brands (there can be more differences between blanks than just the dye - even different batches of the supposedly same blank can be different, albeit the differences are probably small - some batches of the supposedly same media are, so I've read, sometimes actually manufactured by different companies in different factories).

Most players cope fine, but some don't - at 80min, it's getting to the upper end of what's possible with this format (I know there are 90 and 99 min blanks - not very poular though, due to huge incompatibility problems).

In case you are bothered with the details - 80min CDRs have narrower track pitch for the pre-groove (the groove which guides the laser round the disc) - this is after all how they fit the extra blocks on in the first place, and some drives can find it difficult to follow. Add to that the fact that this track pitch itself has a tolerance - this is how some discs can have a longer lead out time than others (see overburning for details of disc lead out time). And finally, apparently not all discs which claim Orange Book compliance are truely 100% compliant anyway!

Oh what fun CD recording can be, especially if you have "problematic" hardware.

25. bigboss

bigboss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The latest from me is that i phoned Marantz UK,the guy says that the CD6000OSE can get a CDR upgrade or re calibration done under warranty.He seems to think that it is a recognised prob with the player.Ill keep you posted.