1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD R and CD RW

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by General Skanky, Feb 21, 2001.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Not really Home Cinema, but I just wanted to knowwhat CD-R/RW discs sound like on your gear? I'll be downloading MP3 to burn to disc.
    I'll be buying a CD ReWriter soon and wanted to know if it's worth it 'audio wise', not financially.

Also, do any of you have problems playing CD-R/RW in your players, regardless of what they state in the instruction book?
    I'll be playing mine on a Marantz KI 63 CD MK II player, but not sure if they'll play on my Yamaha S795, the book says no, but?????

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

2. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i think it is "worth it". I'm no audiophile with my battered Missions, Kenwood cd player & cast off Harmon Kardon Dpl amp but good mp3's sound great to me. A good mp3 imho is one that has been ripped off cd at a speed that doesnt cause read errors (varies) and encoded at a decent bitrate (192 to 320kbs). My Kenwood CD player has played every CD-R ive ever thrown at it - about 15 different makes, and i can get some to play in my Tosh DvD player even though its not supposed to work! cant remember which ones though as its not a requirement for me. I do have a friend with Arcam pre/power amps B&W 603's etc and he also enjoys mp3's. Napsters still goin strong at the moment, so what are you waiting for? Have fun!

3. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i believe the problem only applies to cd's burned in sperates sytems, i don't know what the difference is, but many dvd's declare they will not play them, when the scaffiest cd players will lay cd's burned in a computer

odd. what software are you using to convert mp3 into a format readable by cd players?

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, then Jesus H
    but got bored so it became some latin sh*t

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    And yet my Pioneer LD player is quite happy with CD R but not CD RW and vice versa for the DVD player!!!!!!!!
    I am using Nero 5 as it converts MP3 files on the fly to an audio file for CD playback. Very good.
    Only been at it a short time but it's all out there if you look.

------------------

5. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    out there if you look[B/}

can you be more specific, to save trawling through 'warez' sites and being confronted with hundreds of 'XXX hardcore, the pics you wanted to see, britney spears XXX etc' windows opening up.

I assume you downloaded the shareware version then got a CD key, or was it by another means.

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, then Jesus H

6. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Most software supplied with burners these days will do an MP3 format to CDDA format [CD Digital Audio] as per commercial music CD. I use WinonCD 3.7 and have had no problems, it is just a drag and drop operation after selecting CD audio from the start wizard. And would expect most other software to be pretty similar.

What interests me though, is some DVD players will play an MP3 CD-R, that means around 200 songs on one CD. Unfortunately my SD200E isn't one of them, but I hear the new model Toshibas will have this functionality.

MP3 format is a loss compression format not unlike jpeg, average file size 3-4 megs, CDDA is more like 40 meg per track, so you will hear the difference more on a higher quality system. For playing on PC.s or in the car it is perfectly acceptable.

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    All quite correct.
    It's just that Adaptec doesn't do the drag and drop conversion from MP3. I know as I pulled my hair out for a day or two. Nero 5 was the next one I tried and hey presto, all ok.
    My Yamaha DVD 795 states non CDR compliance, and even threatens poss. damage to a disc if played. It's based on the Pan 360 which is ok, so it should work.

Oh, as I remember, a computer buddy of mine said that at his works they were able to copy a DVD to disc. It took two days (huge number crunching apparantley) and the copied film is over two discs.
    I don't know the hows and whys, but he said they did and that's good enough for me. All PC based copying.
    Anyone else done or knows of anything like it?

------------------

[This message has been edited by General Skanky (edited 16-03-2001).]

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Copied it from a customer's disc at work.
    I'll do a copy for you if you want.
    I can also stick on Adaptec.

------------------