CD Players

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by 91willy, Mar 28, 2006.

1. 91willy

91willy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could some of you please advise me on a decent CD player? I am done with Sony, Technics, Teac and RCA etc. I have had at least one of each. The last being a RCA that broke 15 days after its warranty. I do not necessarily need another DVD reader. MP3 and RW would be nice but top priority on my list is lasting at least 3 years with normal usage.
    I have a Harman Kardon that works great but cannot afford a new one in that price range unless I buy it used from a trusted source (which is my second question).

2. Goldie

Goldie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of budget are you looking at?

3. speedy.steve

speedy.steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had Technics then a Musical Fidelity (~£800 new) for 5 years.
    Pretty good player and miles better than the £200-500 mainstream stuff.

I recently upgraded my speakers to ProAc D25's and since the amp is way up there the A3 CDP was definitely holding thing back.

I auditioned several players and found the COPLAND CDA823 to be the one for me.

It does everything effortlessly with a detail and clairty that I've not expereinced before. Rather subtle but fast with it.

The A3 could have an edge to the highs that could get irritating at times esp on fast complex rock.
    The Copland just gets on with it and manages beautifully.

4. 91willy

91willy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for your help Guys. OK, but I am in the states and Copland yes is out of my range.

I need a simple but reliable (last awhile) CD Player. Thanks

5. rwatson

rwatson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat as 91willy, as I'm in the U.S. also, but there aren't many Hi-Fi forums here. Also, it's been my experience the same manufacturers will create different models for different countries. Even like-models will sometimes have different specifications and "innards."

Having said that, I still need to pick all of you for information too. I have owned a bargain end Technics CD player back in 1991. It actually sounded pretty good. It too broke after a couple of years and my next (and still current) player is a Sony CDP-C345, 5 disc changer. I thought I was doing good, but soon realized how much I miss the old Technics. It masks everything I was finding remotely fascinating in my CD collection. I was under the assumption that as time drags on, technology expands, and products get better. Wrong! I no longer heard the crisp "snap" of a fingernail on a piano key. Instead I've enjoyed a somewhat "muddied" or "murky" experience. Is this what people out there (the masses) are calling great?

I just received an new Harmon Kardon HK 3480 receiver and will be updating the CD player as soon as possible. I am in a location where it's impossible to audition any CD players. Around here, it's WalMart system in a box. What do you folks recommend? I'm looking for a multi-disc player, or I will settle for a single loader. I enjoy revealing highs and mids in my music. In other words: No matter how embarrassing it may have been, if it happened in the studio, I want to hear it! I'll be running it on the HK 3480 with a set of JBL 4312B monitors. I don't know if these were even offered in the UK. I've been considering the latest Harman Kardon disc player, but I have heard bad reviews on this. They all claim that they sound wonderful, but have problems with it within days. Of course, Sony is not an option. Can something like this still be had for under $500 (200 pounds)?

Oh, and thank you for receiving me here.:D

6. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For entry level I would look at the Cambridge audio players,moving up a bracket,I would look at the Rega Apollo.Both are great players.

7. rwatson

rwatson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much. I'm reviewing them now. Anyone else's thoughts?

8. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    NAD are another one to consider - the C521BEE retails for £200 over here and the C542 retails for about £330 here. I've been very pleased with the C521BEE - it digs up tons of detail, without being too bright and fatiguing. I've had two Sony players before that and I wasn't exactly over the moon with either of them.

NAD used to make a multi-disc player, but no longer do. Personally, I'd go for a dedicated single-disc player over a multiplayer.

9. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I would recommend the best Marantz player you can afford. I would also suggest sticking with a single disk player ensuring your money is spent on build quality or sound quality rather than a multidisk transport. This should offer good sound quality at areasonable price and comes with a 3 year warranty in the US. If they are prepared to back their player with that I think you can buy with reasonable confidence.

10. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  11. rwatson

rwatson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehehe, my crow is about to be served. :oops: Well, anyhow, I like it here.

Thanks for the suggestions. I found a place here selling the Cambridge Azur 540C for $199 and the 340C for $299. They also offer the Marantz CD-5001 for $299. I have a feeling I will never find these prices anywhere else. Now, decisions, decisions.

Oh, the NAD players, well, I'm having a difficult time locating them. They are a hard one to come by here also.

Thanks again.

12. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You might try 2nd hand.

http://www.audiogon.com/index.html

Will.

13. ae93gti

ae93gti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the NAD C542 about a week ago. It has me playing CDs all over again. Use to play them in the DVD recorder and they sounded pretty average and therefore hardly listened to them.

I played this against the

NAD C521BEE (IMHO, this was actually the second best in this lot, go figure)
    Marantz CD5001 (found it a little light on, something missing)
    Yamaha CDX-596 (wasn't in the same class for me)
    Yamaha CDX-396 (as above)

Not sure on models in the US.

Of course the C542 just had to be the most expensive one in this list auditioned (apart from one quick test run in a Musical Fidelity A5, scary), but as always, ended up spending the extra cause I heard the difference and liked what I heard.

I couldn't easily audtion the CA products, and I had the opportunity to listen to the ones above in the same listening room at a hifi shop here in Sydney.

Which ever way you go, I don't think you will be disappointed as I believe you wil be a step up from where you were.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

14. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Coudn't stretch to the C542 unfortunately, but have found the C521BEE to be a cracking player. I've had mine for about two and a half years now and haven't heard anything that's made me want to change it :) I'd heard a C320/C520 amp/CD combo setup a couple of years previously and always wanted to own one. Added the C320BEE amp last year and am well pleased with the sound.

When I demo'd the NAD, I also listened to the CD5400 from Marantz (now replaced by the CD5001. Wasn't too keen on the Marantz - it sounded a bit bright and a touch bass-light for my liking. Not to say it's not a good player - just wasn't to my taste.

15. KAKU

KAKU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ever Thought Of A Pioneer Cd Players Specially The Pdm 603 Superfine Cd Players And Have Personally Repaired Many Of Them

16. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hmm - personally have not had much luck with the two Pio CD players we owned - one was a twin-deck jobby from about 1989 or so, the other was a CD/LD player from 1996. Both were very unreliable amd died after only a few years use. However, I've found their DVD players to be excellent - I'm considering buying a Pio DVD recorder shortly.

17. ae93gti

ae93gti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Um, not sure that's a recommendation?? :confused:

18. rwatson

rwatson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still with you gang. Your suggestions aren't falling on deaf ears (otherwise I wouldn't be in the market). I'm very,very stuck between the Marantz 5001, NAD 521BEE, and 2 Cambridge models. My only problem, as I said before, is I have no way of auditioning them. As I also said before, I like for my highs and mids to be detailed, but while sorting through reviews of each brand, I hear too many contradictions. One person will give bullets such as "Amazing detail in the mids," while the next review will say "Not very lively."

I'm about to cut a picture out of a magazine of each player, toss them on the floor and let my cat choose. Whichever one he carries off first, well, that's the one I order.

But wait, if he drags IT off first, that may mean he doesn't want me to have that one. Okay, okay. The last one on the floor gets my vote. But what if the last one on the floor means he doesn't want anything to do with it?

Ahh, the agony...:rolleyes:

19. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    How about an ARCAM CD73. Costs £399 over here.
    www.arcam.com
    They give 2 year warranty with their products. Sound wise its better than any of the ones mentioned so far. Warm but precise and detailed is how I would describe it. Not sure if they sell in the states but you could alwayas contact
    Arcam via email and ask.
    The machine usesa Sony DVD transport so if it failed in years down the line the transport should be easy enough to source.

20. Jimholt

Jimholt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    This is a U.S. forum i think and this link will take you to a thread about a cd player i have bought through the recommendations from the postings. It is very good for the price and i am very happy with it. Their is a new version coming out a bit dearer but in black. Jim.
    http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114328

21. Graham J

Graham J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just found this site while searching for info. to help me decide between Arcam CD192 and Musical Fidelity A5.
    They both have marvelous reviews so hard to choose. Can't compare in my small city. Too late once you've bought one. I'm worried that my ears won't be able to detect any improvement over my existing Arcam CD72.
    Anyone know about these two:confused: ?

22. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You might find some answers here :
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119

Will.

23. musicman1999

musicman1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    graham j

i believe you can have a new dac board installed in your 72 and upgrade it to a 192 and save several hundred dollars.

thanks
    bill

24. Graham J

Graham J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Will & Bill.
    The upgrade in Australia costs almost the price of a brand new one - but I like living here anyway.
    However, I'm very fortunate to have borrowed an MF A5 cd player and amp for the long Easter weekend - My friends and I are wearing our ears out like mad.
    It sounds very impressive but is missing non-sound controls & features the Arcam has.
    Can't get to see or hear an Arcam so might have to rule that out rather than risk.

25. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm trying to find a 2nd hand CD73 here in Hong Kong, so if by some small small really small chance enyone knows of someone, pm me:)
    Tks

26. rwatson

rwatson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help, all. I just punched the "Complete Order" button for the Cambridge 540CD. So, did I do good? When the "Old Lady" approaches me with a knife in my sleep, can I honestly take comfort in knowing I did okay?:rotfl:

rwatson

27. 99Flake

99Flake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    540CD is a good player although I personally would have got the 640c instead, not much more but a far superior player. I have owned the original 640c and was much better than any NEW rotel/NAD/Arcam in the sub £500 bracket. Listened to the Rotel and Arcam players, both £500 (cannot remember model numbers though) and neither came close to the 640c IMO. I sold the 640 a year ago though and was without a decent CD player till Friday and have now got a 640c V2.0 which is even better, and it is not even run in yet!! So I am one happy chappy at the moment :)