• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

CD players

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
What amp and speakers are you using it with?

If you like the naim sound how about a second hand Naim dac-v1 (£6-700) plus a Cambridge CXC transport at £300 new.

Naim DAC-V1 Digital Audio Converter with Original Box / Remote | eBay

Cambridge Audio CXC (Black)

Or keep it all Cambridge and use an 851d dac/preamp (£700 ish sh) with the CXC or upgrade to a 851n with built in streamer for a little bit more second hand.

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZURE 851D BLACK DAC & DIGITAL PREAMPLIFIER PRE AMP VG Condition | eBay

Cambridge Azur 851N – Electronics & computers – Leverstock Green – Marketplace | Facebook

Or an outsider looks wise but a CXC with a second Chord Hugo.

Chord Hugo DAC Digital to Analogue Converter Headphone Amplifier in Black Finish | eBay

Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
If you have the avr850, which has a decent dac built in, just add the CXC to this.

gibbsy

With the quality of the Arcam you don't really need anything other than a transport. No doubt you already have a blu ray player. Is this not sufficient?

The Marantz you've mentioned is also an excellent stereo SACD player. Using this player with the Arcam would give you the choice of which DAC to use, either analogue out or digital out. Built like a tank.

simonblue

Distinguished Member
I have a large CD collection,SACD playback not to important only got couple,so trying to get the best sound from my CD,
I am one of those great believer that for the very best,one box solution are not the way to go,
i:e CD player for CD,blu ray player for blu rays.

The CXC transport is not a bad idea,as people say the DAC are very good in the Arcam.

Also found the a Yamaha CD-S2100 at a great price ?

Thanks for the advice :)

gibbsy

My Marantz SACD player, I believe, is better than the SACD capability for stereo than that found on my Denon 3313 blu ray transport. Perhaps some of that is due to the fact that the Denon has to be connected by HDMI to a Denon receiver whilst the Marantz has a direct analogue connection to my Rega stereo amp.

Without doubt the Arcam will slay my Denon X6200 on the music stakes which makes your choice of player or transport an interesting decision.

dannnielll

Gibbsy, I know you like some Alison Krauss... Well there is a superb quality singing by her of the song Simple Gifts ,being accompanied by Yo Yo May on the CD Classic Yo Yo . It is a treat for the ears and soul.

gibbsy

Gibbsy, I know you like some Alison Krauss... Well there is a superb quality singing by her of the song Simple Gifts ,being accompanied by Yo Yo May on the CD Classic Yo Yo . It is a treat for the ears and soul.
I've got Alison Krauss on the Robert Plant album Raising Sand. Apart from that I've nothing with her on, although she appears on a Tom Jones blu ray video.

simonblue

Distinguished Member
My Marantz SACD player, I believe, is better than the SACD capability for stereo than that found on my Denon 3313 blu ray transport. Perhaps some of that is due to the fact that the Denon has to be connected by HDMI to a Denon receiver whilst the Marantz has a direct analogue connection to my Rega stereo amp.

Without doubt the Arcam will slay my Denon X6200 on the music stakes which makes your choice of player or transport an interesting decision.

It does been doing a lot of research :)

dannnielll

I've got Alison Krauss on the Robert Plant album Raising Sand. Apart from that I've nothing with her on, although she appears on a Tom Jones blu ray video.
My mistake, but even still, the singing and playing of that piece is wonderful and available on Tidal.

gibbsy

My mistake, but even still, the singing and playing of that piece is wonderful and available on Tidal.
Tidal. That's far too 21st century for an old fart like me. If it's not on the silver disc it don't get play time.;)

dannnielll

Tidal. That's far too 21st century for an old fart like me. If it's not on the silver disc it don't get play time.;)
Pity because while the rest of that CD or presumably SACD ,is very high quality cello playing ,it is in my opinion missing the clear simplicity of the quoted song. And I would not be buying it. Since I am actually older than you (, I think, ) it must be the lack of rugby playing that left me a few of my marbles.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom