Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

cd player

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by marcoeser, Mar 27, 2002.

1. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I have a 5.1 set-up with separate processor and power-amp and dvd. Now, I want to improve on my cd re-play, so I'm looking for a dedicated cd player to connect to my power amp, ie. with volume control? I'm looking for more detail, depth, sound stage, etc than my sony 735 dvd. I have £1000 to spend. I've been recommended a player form LINN (I've forgotten the name of the player). Does anyone know of any others I should listen to?
    Thanks, marc :)

2. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Shouldn't you connect the CD player to the processor ?

3. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    my processor (Sony TA-E9000ES) will convert any analogue signal to digital then convert the output as analogue. Reducing the number of conversions and shortening the signal path, will increase sound quality. I want to connect directly to my bridged amp (TA-N9000ES) giving 230 WPC (as I can remember) using the extra 2 channel setting.
    :)

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    theres a chap on here selling his Arcam fmj cd23 for £500 (half price) a very nice peice of kit, the Arcam cd92T £850, Roksan caspian £895 Exposure 210 £600

5. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi sean,
    thanks for the info but AFAIK none of them have a viable output I am looking for.
    marc

6. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,827
    Both my Denon 1450AR & Yamaha CDC 775 (multiplayer) have variable volume outputs.

The Denon has it on the analog outs and the Yamaha on both the digital & analog outs. It affects the headphone sockets as well.

Is this what you´re looking for??

7. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jase, exactly. I need the variable on the analogue so I can connect directly to power amp and bi pass the pre amp.
    What one do you prefer or should I listen to both?

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You mean the Genki i presume......I listened to an approach like this......but it suffered very obviously.

The variable out is not really meant for the purpose of varying volume, as such it sounds very average. I Listened to the genki on its own, and with a kolektor preamp. On its own, the player and power amp (a linn lk85) was somewhat short of what my marantz kis player and amp could manage......given the linn player and power amp cost twice as much, it didnt seem terribly worthwhile. However, the addition of the kolektor was totally eyeopening. Like you, i assumed a shorted path meant less signal degradation and such, but the preamp made an enormous difference, suddenly it was a more open, airy and controlled sound which my old combination wasnt even close to.

In my totally honest, semi educated, opinion you would be better getting a cheaper cd player and preamp for your money as opposed to the better player. Or you could even keep a lookout for second hand or demo stock, im pretty sure I have seen examples that together would approach your budget. Go listen to it, you really will be amazed!

Your sony may even sound better than using the cd player variable output!

ad

9. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,827
    marcoeser

Of the two, I actually spend more time listening to the Yamaha.

The Denon has a bit more clarity & detail but overall theres not a huge difference between them.

You may not find the Yamaha over in the UK (its the one with Yamahas Pro-Bit technology). The Denon should be available as well as their higher end 1550AR & 1650AR models.

Both were about 300-350 quid when I bought them but they may be available cheaper now.

cheers

Jase

10. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Buns, well, thats food for thought...... :eek: a guess slight change of plan is called for, I should go for a regular cdp, like the models mentioned by Sean.

The dealer who suggested the Linn also suggested the Meridian 508 cd player. Has anyone heard this? I've also thought that maybe the Meridian DVD player's ability at playing CD's could be equal to the 508's abilities. But I will have to check prices, I don't know how much it'll cost.

One other question, if I use the digital out from the CDp into my sony pre-amp will I by-pass the CD's internal DAC and use the Sony's DAC. I'm not sot sure what happens in this case, :confused: what is the optimum setup?

I need to do some more research I think.
    Thanks for all your help,

marc :)

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dont take my word as bible or anything, thats just how i heard it. Any respectable dealer will be more than willing to let you listen and make up your own mind!

The bypass of the cd player dac......it really depends whether the cd dacs or processor dacs are better.....i personally dislike using outboard dacs on lower priced stuff.....but again try it and see!

as mentioned by someone earlier, the arcam players are generally very respectable.

ad

12. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I read from another thread that someone was looking into getting a TAG DAC for his DVD player to improve cd replay. Is it something I could do with my Sony 735 dvd? will it be better option than a dedicated cd player such as the Arcam?:rolleyes:
    I guess there is no simple answer, I need to find a dealer and hear it for myself.
    marc