CD Player

Eltoro

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

New to the site, but been reading all the excellent advice, but need some now myself if poss.

I’m looking. For decent CD player to pair with my Yamaha A-S801 + Dali opticon 6s, only have around £500 budget,
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Doesn't the AS-801 have a built in DAC and digital inputs? Are you planning to use the DAC in the Yamaha or connect the CD player via analogue inputs?

In you situation I'd be tempted my sled to save yourself £300 and get a Marantz cd5005 or similar priced Yamaha CDS300 for £199. Both are decent players but IMO they'd sound exactly the same if using the Yamaha DAC.

Agree with the above, no need to spend £500 as the Yamaha has a very good DAC. However the Yamaha does have a CD Direct function with a dedicated RCA circuit making it possible for you to use a CD player's DAC, something certainly worth trying out to see which DAC you prefer. In view of that I would highly recommend the Marantz cd6006 as probably being the best CD player available at it's current price point, I own one as well as a Marantz SACD player in the sa8005.

It's beautifully built, silent in operation and has an excellent DAC.

https://petertyson.co.uk/marantz-cd6006-uk-edition-cd-player

Doesn't the AS-801 have a built in DAC and digital inputs? Are you planning to use the DAC in the Yamaha or connect the CD player via analogue inputs?

In you situation I'd be tempted my sled to save yourself £300 and get a Marantz cd5005 or similar priced Yamaha CDS300 for £199. Both are decent players but IMO they'd sound exactly the same if using the Yamaha DAC.

Hi Jamie, thanks for taking the time to respond. The A-S801 does have a built in DAC and digital & analogue inputs, I’m sure I could check both to see which sound I prefer (if there’s any difference) it’s also good to see I could save some cash. Thanks again.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Agree with the above, no need to spend £500 as the Yamaha has a very good DAC. However the Yamaha does have a CD Direct function with a dedicated RCA circuit making it possible for you to use a CD player's DAC, something certainly worth trying out to see which DAC you prefer. In view of that I would highly recommend the Marantz cd6006 as probably being the best CD player available at it's current price point, I own one as well as a Marantz SACD player in the sa8005.

It's beautifully built, silent in operation and has an excellent DAC.

Hi Gibbsy, thanks for your help, the Marantz cd 6006 gets some great reviews, and at that Peter Tyson price looks a good buy, seems there’s no need to spend anymore, would also be good to use CD direct function also, looking forward to adding another piece to the jigsaw. Thanks again.

https://petertyson.co.uk/marantz-cd6006-uk-edition-cd-player

Seems a bit daft to spend 500 quid on a CD player when you have a great dac available.

One of these makes most sense to me.

Cambridge Audio CXC (Black)

If you need a CD player then one of these is about as good as it gets for your budget.

Marantz CD-17 KI signature Classic CD Player Box Remote Manual | eBay

Hi Paul, thanks for the advise, the Cambridge looks a decent bit of kit, but am I right in saying it’s digital only, and if so it doesn’t give me the choice of digital & analogue like the marantz cd 6006 would? Hope I’m wrong.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
No it’s a transport only. Not a CD player.

I very much doubt you’d need anything other than the dac in the Yamaha and a solid transport which the CA is.

No it’s a transport only. Not a CD player.

I very much doubt you’d need anything other than the dac in the Yamaha and a solid transport which the CA is.

Just reading the review in whatHIFI looks decent buy.

After reading all the reviews, I’ve bought the Cambridge Audio CXC, IN Black for £249 at richer sounds (great price I think)

Just need to choose between coaxial or toslink cables, if there’s any difference?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
After reading all the reviews, I’ve bought the Cambridge Audio CXC, IN Black for £249 at richer sounds (great price I think)

Just need to choose between coaxial or toslink cables, if there’s any difference?

I think you’ll be happy with the combination :smashin:

As for cables, it doesn’t really matter. Just use whatever you have hanging around.

If you haven’t any, then the ones ugg refers to above are just the job.

For coax digital audio I quite often use spare yellow plugged single RCA leads normally used for composite video back in the day.

If you want something to match your equipment then the

Yamaha CD-S700 should hit a high standard - £399 -

Yamaha CDS700 CD Player - Superfi

A good stand-by is the Marantz CD6006-UK-SE - £285 -

Marantz CD6006UKSE CD Player UK Edition - Superfi

This would be consider a step above those above -

Rotel CD14 CD Player - £499 -

Rotel CD Player CD14

It might be possible to find slightly better prices if you shop around.

If you want a good standard quality the Yamaha and Marantz are fine. The Marantz is generally highly rated in its price class. But I would say that the Rotel is a step above the Yamaha and Marantz, but also more money.

Steve/bluewizard

Just want to say thanks to everyone for their help, it’s nice to see people will still help others, hopefully as I get more clued up I can help others,
Thanks again to you all, much appreciated.

The Cambridge CXC is not a bad choice, but being only a Transport, it requires an external DAC. Fortunately you have one, but do you want to waste a Digital Input on a CD Player, when most CD Players already come with a very good DAC?

Cambridge CXC CD Player TRANSPORT - £250 -

Cambridge Audio CXC (Black)

It does have BOTH Optical and Coaxial Ouputs, so, for example, If you need the Optical for your TV, you can use the Coaxial from the CXC.

But, personally, though I have nothing against the CXC Transport, I would be more likely to go with a standard CD Player with built in DAC.

If you want to hit a high standard, the Rotel CD14 should do a very good job of it at just under your budget.

As to Coaxial vs Optical, Optical does give you electrical isolation between the devices, as it is only sending light. But, interference is rare, so either Optical or Coaxial will be fine. Both have data transmission capability far in excess of what is needed for Audio.

There is no doubt that the Cambridge CXC is a good device, and since you have a DAC already, and a very good DAC at that, you can save a bit of money. It is not necessary to do that, as, as I have mentioned, most CD Player already have very good DACs. But if a TRANSPORT is the way you choose, nothing wrong with that.

But then that's just one opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

62A63469-501F-4C3F-9106-E6B8EF845438.jpeg
Hi Steve, I only need the digital outputs for my music, not sure what else I’d put in them, my TV sound is through my Sonos 5.1 set up (pic)

I’ve now purchased the Cambridge cxc (£250 bargin) and it really sounds excellent straight out of the box with the Yamaha as801, so very happy chappie,
Not sure if this is allowed on the forum without starting a new thread, if not sorry, but just wanted to ask if you had any thoughts on upgrading my turntable from technica at-lp5 with 2m ortofon, to the Rega planar 3 with Ely’s 2 cartridge. Thanks again for all the advise and sorry if I’ve gone wrong.

F807EC8D-D5A6-4A2F-814B-1BD13BC7FAEC.jpeg
I’m happy that you’re happy with the CA. The Dac implementation in the Yamaha is by all accounts an excellent one so it did seem a bit daft to spend extra on a whole CD player.

Also, a fine looking st up. I love the stand. :thumbsup:

Ps, I hope you don’t mind the presumption in repairing your photo :blush:

View attachment 1114239 I’m happy that you’re happy with the CA. The Dac implementation in the Yamaha is by all accounts an excellent one so it did seem a bit daft to spend extra on a whole CD player.

Also, a fine looking st up. I love the stand. :thumbsup:

Ps, I hope you don’t mind the presumption in repairing your photo :blush:

Hi Paul, not at all (photo looks good now) I’m just wondering if my Audio Technica AT-LP5 is the weak link and if it needs upgrading?

I’m not a vinyl fan. Streaming’s my thing now. Don’t even remember where my cds are.

Tons of people here who still love turntables though.

I’d start a new thread specially for that question. It’ll get noticed better.

I’m not a vinyl fan. Streaming’s my thing now. Don’t even remember where my cds are.

Tons of people here who still love turntables though.

I’d start a new thread specially for that question. It’ll get noticed better.

Cheers Paul.

...Hi Steve, ..
Not sure if this is allowed on the forum without starting a new thread, if not sorry, but just wanted to ask if you had any thoughts on upgrading my turntable from technica at-lp5 with 2m ortofon, to the Rega planar 3 with Ely’s 2 cartridge. Thanks again for all the advise and sorry if I’ve gone wrong.

The Planar 3 is a substantial upgrade from the AT-LP5, though the AT-LP5 is nice, not to the standard of the REGA P3.

Glad you like the Cambridge CXC, as I said a good transport, but I personally might have gone for a CD with built in DAC. But then I have greater demand for Digital In.

I'm curious about the Speakers, they appear to be Opticon 6, care to comment on them? Are the bright? Are they Forward? Reasonably Balanced? Bass? I'm open to hearing any comments you might have. Some say they can be on the bright side.

In terms of cool factor and appearance, I wouldn't mind having a pair of Opticon 8.

Steve/bluewizard

The Planar 3 is a substantial upgrade from the AT-LP5, though the AT-LP5 is nice, not to the standard of the REGA P3.

Glad you like the Cambridge CXC, as I said a good transport, but I personally might have gone for a CD with built in DAC. But then I have greater demand for Digital In.

I'm curious about the Speakers, they appear to be Opticon 6, care to comment on them? Are the bright? Are they Forward? Reasonably Balanced? Bass? I'm open to hearing any comments you might have. Some say they can be on the bright side.

In terms of cool factor and appearance, I wouldn't mind having a pair of Opticon 8.

Steve/bluewizard

They are opticon 6’s, and I’ve only had them a couple of weeks, so think they need a little playtime yet, but they are a bit bright at the mo, but they seem even more so since changing my cartridge to the Ortofon 2m red, Bass is very good and not over powering, I find them very well balanced For my hearing, I’ve noticed a big difference since upgrading the stylus from the AT95EX less booming bass, I got them at a very decent price, £875, I’d hope they’ll improve even more with few months play?

My first upgrade though will be the Rega Planar 3 I think, just reading up on other turntables in its price range £500- £1000

Quick question do you think I’d improve my setup with a pre-amp or is the Yamaha as801 more than capable?

Quick question do you think I’d improve my setup with a pre-amp or is the Yamaha as801 more than capable?

Thanks for the Feedback on the Speakers.

When you said Pre-Amp, can we assume you mean PHONO Pre-Amp? That is a hard call. Generally through the years I've found built in Phono Pre-Amps to be fine. So, I would leave that for now. Once the system is up and running you can consider if you need a New External Phono Pre-Amp or if you are content.

The Yamaha AS801 is the TOP of Yamaha's Consumer line of amps, so I would expect it to have a decent Phono Stage. Whether you think you can improve on it is up to you. And you need to consider how much it is going to cost to improve on the existing Phono Stage. I know Rega, which makes good products in general, also makes Phono Pre-Amps, though not crazy expensive, neither are they cheap.

Rega Fono Mini A2D Phono Pre Amplifier Black (New Version)

Rega Aria MM and MC Phono Stage (New Style Case)

And of course, there are plenty of others to consider -

HiFix | Phono Pre-Amplifiers

But I would leave that for a later consideration.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Thanks again for the advice.

I’m happy with the setup I have at the moment, even the technica AT- LP5 if I’m honest is sounding good with the Ortofon 2m cartridge, so I may hold back awhile before considering a new turntable, I’ll let everything bed in I think then re-evaluate in 6 months.

Thanks again Steve for all the advise, much appreciated.

Dean/Eltoro

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom