CD Player...... With extras?

Going Grey Now

If the sound quality from HAT dac is similar or almost as good as my external DAC then I would rather have HAT dac.

I think ill need to do some reading on what I need as I have no idea what parts, both hardware and software wise.
What I can say is that I previously had a DAC HAT made by ALLO; the BOSS DAC 1.2. It all fitted quite nicely in a case.
At the time, I thought the overall SQ was on a par with my Dragonfly Red.
Subsequently I’ve moved on to DACs from Schiit (Modi then Modius) and am very happy with my kit.
Since I purchased the external DACs, ALLO have released a version 2 of the BOSS. I’ve read encouraging reports but never used one. DAC HATs are also available from several other manufacturers. I think ALLO sell the BOSS 2 as both a HAT and a pre built streamer in a nice blue case!
Am I correct in saying that your Arcam r-DAC has a USB input?
If so, then I know what I would probably do if I were in your situation;
I’d buy a RPi version 4, 2 gigabyte. To start with I wouldn’t bother with a HAT, but I’d go USB out from the RPi and USB in on your DAC. I‘m not saying that this would be my long term solution, but it would least give you the opportunitynof seeing if you get on OK with a RPi streamer, before deciding whether you want to incur the extra expense of a DAC HAT.
I’m sure others will be along who have experience of the Arcam DAC to comment in the quality of its USB input.
For software, I’d start off with Moode or Volumio.

password1

Distinguished Member
I don't actually know or remember what the back of my Arcam rDac looks like...That sounds a good way forward without paying for a dac hat to begin with.

I used to build my own computers back in the early 2000s and late 90s when i was a kid..so hopefully a raspberry pi is as straight forward.

Going Grey Now

I don't actually know or remember what the back of my Arcam rDac looks like...That sounds a good way forward without paying for a dac hat to begin with.

I used to build my own computers back in the early 2000s and late 90s when i was a kid..so hopefully a raspberry pi is as straight forward.
I’m not an expert on the Arcam but I’ve looked at a couple of photos on line and provided I’ve chosen the right model, it does look to have 3 inputs; Co-ax, Toslink and USB. Before going Co-ax (and after owning the BOSS DAC), I did try USB in on my Schiit Modi for a while and it was fine. I used a standard USB cable and didn’t get drawn in to discussions about expensive USB cables!

Like you, I’ve previously built PCs - I think my latest effort was about 10 years ago.

I found the whole RPi setup quite fun really. The trickiest bit is probably flashing whatever software you choose onto the micro SD card. I had no previous experience of Linux and think I’ve probably only had to look up a couple of Linux commands in 18 months. Most of the time I simply access everything through the Moode ‘front end’.

If I can be of my more help, please feel free to drop me a PM.

crashcris

Distinguished Member
@Big Simon . I think I'm mostly achieving what you want to do. I have a 1 TB SSD loaded up with music, plugged into the USB of my Sony Blu-ray player, which is Linked to my AVR (Yamaha ) Linked to TV . Using the BR remote, I can pull up the music and play. I only use this personally for 5.1 surround sound music otherwise I just Airplay stereo music from my phone or mac to the Yamaha. The Sony also plays SACDs, which was why I bought it. A more recent 4k Blu-Ray player that also seems to do all the stuff I'd need is pretty inexpensive £145 below. Amazon product
This doesn't display the artwork unless looking at the TV screen, which I prefer to switch off.

I hope this is the sort of reply you were looking for, if not, sorry for misunderstanding your original post. All the best.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom