1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd player with balls

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by durk, Jun 19, 2005.

1. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I was hoping someone on here could recomend a cd player with plenty of pace and power as my av amp seems to rob my music of both these qualities! so i was hoping that maybe a cd with big balls may compensate this a wee bit! any sugg's welcome! thanx.

2. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    What sort of budget are you looking at? Do you want new or second hand? What kit do you have at the moment?

3. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi, buget around £600 ish, im currently using a denon dv2900 as a source and a pioneer 2100 as an amp! im aware that neither is perfect for music but i dont have the room for 2 seperate units so i thought a punchy cd player would help matters a bit and still keep things simple! speakers are quad 12l quad l center and 11l at the rear, mj ref 100 sub!

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Well after demoing a few players up to the £1000 mark, I went for the Cyrus CD8 which I picked up second hand for £500.

The player has amazing detail although it is slightly forward so match it with warm speakers (should be a good match for the quads).

5. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    TBH I suspect that its the av amp thats letting the side down as far as music goes. Try to borrow an amp from a friend and run it with your cd to see what the difference is first before spending...

6. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I'll second Dave's sentiments.
    If you have room for a new CD player, you have room for a stereo integrated amp.
    Assuming your AV amp has pre-outs for the front channels, stick a good stereo amp in the loop, with it powering your front speakers. £600 will buy you a really good s/h integrated, though for better stereo, maybe a £150 NOS DAC (it's very small) and a £450 integrated would be a better option.

7. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanx
    Ive tried a decent stereo amp and it whilst does sound better for music, i found it a pain in bum having to fiddle around with the volume all the time it also seemed to upset the balance of my av amp when playing 5.1 stuff!

8. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would spend £300 on a stereo amp and £300 on a CD player, I think you'll be impressed! If you use a separate stereo integrated amp, you should do a full system setup with the stereo amp's volume at a reference point i.e. 12 o'clock. Then you've got a good reference point at which you know your movies will sound right. I don't find it to be a problem at all with my setup, but everyone's different I suppose :p

9. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Would a new CD player and power amps be better than an intergrated amp

10. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'd agree. If you're serious about listening to music, then a separate CD and Amp is the way to go. I'd agree that it can be a bit of a nuisance fiddling around with the controls when swapping between movies and music, but you'd pretty soon get the hang of it.

For £600, I'd certainly be tempted to look at the second hand market. There are some real bargains to be had out there. You could pick up a second hand Naim Nat 3 and a CD3 maybe a 3.5 if you're lucky. I am biased though having fairly recently discovered Naim kit - so assume that my comments are biased!!!

11. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    I get the distinct impression that a CD player is what you want - why dont you try the Musical Fidleity Xray as one of my threads earlier suggests it is to be discontinued and I've seen it around for £600 (you could probably even get an older A3.2 CD player for around £400 and that was £1000 new).

For the record I do agree with the other threads that the amp is worth changing - why dont you try and look up an Arcam receiver (AVR200 can be had for around £400ish 2nd hand and if you look around you might see the odd AVR250/300!).

You can also see the odd Arcam CD player (some FMJ ones) going for around £600 2nd hand.

12. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    With Balls = Naim
    Second hand Naim kit is usually a very safe bet.
    The Musical Fidelity kit has its merits, but I wouldn't describe it as ballsy or great in terms of pace.