CD Player Upgrade, Advice needed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by brokenhat, Mar 18, 2006.

Tags:
  1. brokenhat

brokenhat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, I have an Arcam AVR300 with a NAD C521BEE CD Player with Monster 400 Interconnects. My speakers are Epos M12.2 biamped from the Arcam using QED Silver Anniversary XT wire. I am looking to upgrade the CD Player and have narrowed it down (I think) to the Arcam CD73T and the Cyrus CD6s. Both seem to have similiarly great reviews and would make a noticable difference in sound from my current low end player, so which one? Should I stick to the Arcam as somtimes cd/amp combinations from the same manufacturer work better together? Also I live in Bermuda so I ahve to buy blind although I have heard the Arcam at a friends house but with everything else different... Thanks,

Or would a Benchmark DAC1 be the best bet? I could use it with my current NAD as well as my Soundbridge....

Matt

2. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I bought a Cyrus CD6 about two years and was very pleased with its performance with my AVR300. To my ears, they compliment each other well - the fast, punchy and detailed nature of the CD6 offsetting the more laid back Arcam sound. However, I would say that the CD6 has a slightly lean sound and is not really one for bass fiends.

At the time of buying the CD6, I demoed it up against the Arcam CD73 with my then Denon AVR3803 amp. The CD6 was the clear winner and well worth the extra £200 or so. I thought the CD73 was a step up from my previous 10+ year old £250 Rotel but not as big a leap forward as I was expecting. The CD6s should be even better than the CD6.

Can you get your friend to lend you his CD73 to try in your system? You may find that it's a relatively small upgrade from your NAD and that you need to spend a bit more to get the improvement you're after.

I'd also say that your NAD is more likely to be similar in character to the Cyrus. If you find the CD73 is a bit too laid back for your liking when compared to your NAD, the CD6 may well be the way to go.

I'm not familiar with the Benchmark DAC1 so can't comment on the improvement this might bring.

I've recently upgraded my CD6 to a CD8x and have added a PSX-R power supply. Absolutely fabb :clap: .

3. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt, I haven't heard either, but I was in the same boat just a week ago. I was curious if I would even notice an improvment using the analog outputs of the 73T into my AVP-700 vs using a digital output into the 700.

Never got a response. Have you tried the digital output of your source into the 300? I got better performance this way than when using either of my DVDP's analog outputs.

BTW, I had narrowed my searce to the Arcam, Rega Apollo and Naim CD5i. I went with the Naim, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the others. The new Rega is getting excellent reviews and it's about $300 more than the 73T.

4. brokenhat

brokenhat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the AVR300's DAC to be slightly below that of the NAD so a bit disappointing in other words. I ended up ordering the DAC1 last night after reading award after award that it has won, I'll update you on my thoughts when it arrives in about 5 days. I did listen to the Arcam compared to the NAD CD's at my friends house and the Arcam was the clear winner. Thanks to you both for your replies.

5. Hoggers

Hoggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello..

Would be interested to hear how you find the DAC1 with the AVR300.. am toying with the same sort of idea so any feedback would be good.

Cheers,

Alastair

6. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt

I recently auditioned both Cyrus and Arcam models. Both are excellent players but as mentioned earlier the Cyrus can sound a bit lean. It depends on what you listen to. I would say that if your preferred listening is mainly classical or acoustic go with the Cyrus, if rock or pop you'd find the Cyrus a bit lightweight so I'd recommend the Arcam. As a rock fan I stuck with Arcam. Hope that helps.

7. brokenhat

brokenhat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've had the DAC1 now for 2 hours and have tried it with both Soundbridge and NAD CD as transports and all I can say is WOW!! I can now officially retire my CD player forever as lossless via the Soundbridge and DAC1 is now officially just as good.:thumbsup:

8. brokenhat

brokenhat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if you can bi-amp the AVR300 and A75? I can't seem to find if the gain is teh same on both. Thanks.