1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD player to Meridian G68 connection

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mattmarsden, May 23, 2005.

1. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi all

As the Meridian G68 digitises any analogue input, am I right in thinking that the best connection to the G68 is coax digital?

This being the case am I best off with a CD player that is an excellent transport as opposed to having good DACs?

With that being the case can someone recommend a good CD player that makes a good transport??!!!

Also, could someone with good experience tell me how good the G68 DACs are musically?

Thanks...

2. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best connection could be from a Meridian CD player with MHR. Meridian processors are very good with music which tends to outshine any video processing they do.

After that, digital would be better than analogue since there would be two more coversions from digital to analogue and baqck again it the input stage on the G68. As per my post in the DVD forum, I think same brand front ends tend to sound best - Meridian/Meridian, Tag/Tag etc....

Best transports are Wadia for CD IMO - but they don't make DVD transports....

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt,

If you are going to use a straight CD player to the G68 then yes the best connection would be to use a coax and use the DACS inside the G68 as they will probably be better than most CD spinners.
    With Ref to CD Players used as transports i would presume that anyone with a Coax output would do as the Meridian will reclock the signal, but i could not really say for Definite as i have only used the MHR link on my G68 so maybe someone with a bit more experience could tell you which would be best, hopefully GaryG will see this thread as he has alot of experience with CD replay :)
    The best sound i have heard by far was thru a Meridian 808i CD Player but my G68 + G91 IMO was not too far behind.

Regards
    John

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    John

Indeed I have seen this thread.

Matt

There are a number of options available dependent on your budget and what level of performance you want to achieve. Some things to consider: Do you want to be able to play DVD-A, SACD or just RBCD? Is music a priority or an equal split with movies? Do you want to use a computer for a source so that you can have music on demand? Have you already got a G68? Will you be using Meridian digital speakers or an analogue system? Once we know where you want to go we can offer some suggestions.

5. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Matt

Forgot to mention, I posted my impression of the G68 DACs here

6. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Ah yes. That thread. :D

7. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks for the replies...

I'm assuming that the G68 DACs will be just fine for 2 channel hi-fi then!!

8. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The G68 is a nice, single box solution for both DVD and CD, slightly better suited to DVD than CD in my opinion. If you don't mind having a few extra boxes it's worth considering the 568.2 with a separate DAC, which if bought on the used market would be slightly cheaper than a new G68 and offer better quality for CD on the L/R channels (assuming the DAC was better than the G68 DACs) although slightly lower quality on the centre and surrounds, unless of course you bought more than one external DAC. Also, if you get an external DAC with a volume control you can have an additional digital connection from the source directly to the DAC, by-passing the 568.2 for improved performance on CD (the pass-through on the 568.2 is not totally transparent, although trading off the convenience of digital bass/treble management). You may want to consider buying a jitter reduction box such as a 518 or preferably an Apogee Big Ben which can make a significant improvement to the performance of your source (depending on how susceptable it is to jitter). At a later date, you could add a Tact room correction system if you felt that was necessary, which does full spectrum correction not just the lower frequencies like the G68, again, the Tact is not totally transparent, something else to consider.

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    matt - After owning quite a few dedicated Hi Fi setups mainly Cyrus and rotel and the Cyrus setup was not exactly cheap the G68 + G91 combination goes far above any of my previous setups for performance in 2 channel and for AV use the G68 is brilliant it just gives me a good balance for both Hi Fi & Home Cinema for which i am very pleased... :)

Regards
    John