1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Player to Amp - Analog or Digital Coaxial Interconnect ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by wilfredt, Jun 6, 2005.

1. wilfredt

wilfredt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for my ignorance, as I am a newbie into HiFi.

I have a Yamaha RX-V2500 amplifier and I just bought today NAD c542 CD player for listening to stereo music on CDs only. May I seek your advice on what interconnect should I use for listening to 2-channel music to get the best out of my system. My questions are :

1. Should I use Analog or Digital Coaxial interconnect ? Which will produce better sound ?
    Regarding digital output, the NAD C542 manual says that "The serial data output is taken after the error correction but before the digital-to-analogue conversion and filtering". If I go with digital out, am I missing on the sound quality ?

2. From this forum I came to know that the above decision will determine which DAC will be used. In my case, how can I know which DAC is better - NAD c542 or Yamaha RX-v2500 ? Any opinions here ?

3. If Digital Coaxial is better, the salesman recommended Van Den Hul DigiCoupler 75. Is there any better recommendation.

Please advise as I am lost with all the technicalities.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Your number 2 pretty much has the answer you need but unfortunately there's no way to predict which has the best DACs in. If you're performing any kind of bass-management within your Yamaha (ie. using any mode other than Pure/Source Direct) then you may as well use digital as the amplifier will redigitise the signal anyway. :)

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As you said in 2. it depends on which DAC performs better. Also note that most AV amps/receivers to a AD conversion of analog inputs, so even your CD's DAC is better and you use the analog connection the signal may still be affected by the DACs in the AV amp/receiver. The only way to get around this is if the amp/receiver has an analog bypass (see owner's manual).

You can know by trying it out: as it depends on the equipment it's hard to tell which connection will sound better, unless someone uses exactly the same combination - though the answer would still be somewhat subjective.

Yeah - mine ( ;) ), because it saves you a lot of money: don't buy an expensive cable, just make sure it's a 75 Ohm Digital Coax.

4. wilfredt

wilfredt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your prompt responses.

So I believe I have two options now which I should test to determine which option is better :

1. Use a high-quality analog interconnect to use the CD Player's DAC, using the Pure Direct mode in Amplifier to bypass the DAC in Amplifier.
    Here, is there any good recommendation for a high-quality analog interconnect for CDs below 100 US$ ? The brands commonly available in our region are Van Den Hul, Audioquest, Monster, Vivanco, Straightwire. Is there any analog interconnect recommended for the CD player NAD c542 ?

2. Use a medium-quality (not-so-expensive) digital coaxial interconnect to bypass the CD Player's DAC and utilise all the processing in the Amplifier.
    Here, I read from another thread that, in case of digital coaxial, quality does not vary much with the price (as against the analog interconnects where quality varies with price, I am assuming.). So I will try with a Monster or Vivanco cable which is cheaper.

Many thanks once again.