Cd player sized pc

Itsthesmell

Im looking for a small pc that will fit in my tv cabinet along with the rest of my av gear, it will be primarily used for internet video streaming of live performances. Does anyone know of anything out there that matches what im looking for? Id love it to be the size of a standard cd player. I have a jonsbo case but thats the size of 2 cd players. Would a Raspberry Pi400 be upto the task?

jamieu

An Intel NUC?

But can you give some more details on what you exactly mean by internet video streaming of live performances. Are you planning to run some kind of media manager/player server software on it like Kodi?

If so a Vero 4K+ (which runs their own OSMC OS designed to solely run Kodi) or a Raspberry Pi4 running LibreElec (again an operating system designed to solely to run Kodi) would be fine.

In both cases you'd normally use a remote control rather than a keyboard to control playback. Although both will work with a USB or bluetooth wireless keyboard if you want to use one. You can try out Kodi on your desktop PC or Mac to see if it offers the features and plugins for the services you need.

An Nvidia shield is another popular Android based media device that comes with apps for various streaming platforms. It can also run Kodi alongside those apps.

Plex is another option, you'd normally install the Plex server component on a dedicated PC or NAS. — that you can then hide out of sight in another room or closet and then use a low-cost Plex supporting client device like a Roku or Apple TV to communicate with the Plex server.

Plex tends to make more sense if you have lots of devices (you need to handle playback) as the Plex clients are often cheaper (or inbuilt into ta TV already) than the kind of devices that can run Kodi (as the heavy lifting with Plex is done on the server side rather than the client) or you need access to your media outside of your home. Kodi tends to work out best if you have just one device that needs to handle playback and you don't want/need the cost/overhead of a full client/sever approach.

A standard PC running Windows works best where you need access to a full web browser (with keyboard/mouse control) or Windows only apps, because the streaming platforms/services you use don't have apps or plugins available on the dedicated streaming devices/platforms. Although all those platforms have some kind of web browser support — so most of the time you should be fine.

That all said, if you just need to 'cast' what is playing in your web browser to the TV then a Apple TV (AirPlay) or Google Chromecast is a much more appropriate (and cheaper) device for that purpose as you can simply 'cast' (effectively send to the TV) whatever is playing on your laptop/phone/tablet to the TV (via the Apple TV or Chromecast).

Last edited:

Itsthesmell

Wow thanks for the well explained reply. I just need a web browser with which I can watch video streams. So html5 capabilities are essential. And that's it really. I want it to have HDMI, and possibly silent. I'll have a look at the nvidia shield. I would prefer to run Linux over an android OS. I'm surprised no one has built one in the CD player form factor already.

jamieu

Wow thanks for the well explained reply. I just need a web browser with which I can watch video streams. So html5 capabilities are essential. And that's it really. I want it to have HDMI, and possibly silent. I'll have a look at the nvidia shield. I would prefer to run Linux over an android OS. I'm surprised no one has built one in the CD player form factor already.

If you have a phone or tablet then a £30 Google Chromecast is all you need.

You can then send any video playing in the Google Chrome web browser on your tablet/phone/laptop to the TV. Effectively you're using your phone/tablet as a remote control. That will also work with any other Chromecast supporting app on your phone/tablet like the Netflix or iPlayer apps.

If that doesn't work for you ie. you don't have a phone/tablet or don't want to use one, then an Amazon Fire Stick with a web browser installed should also give you what you need. Although entering URLs and controlling a web browser on a TV screen with a remote control is more difficult than doing that on a phone/tablet and then 'casting' the video to the TV, which is why the Chromecast is probably the more suitable device for you.

Even if you don't have a phone/tablet, you might find that it's worth getting a low-cost tablet to use exclusively with the Chromecast.

Last edited:

Itsthesmell

I'm trying to move away from wireless stuff after having boughts of sudden amnesia which is looking like was caused by heavy use of Bluetooth earphones.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
CD players come in various form factors and sizes, so a rough idea of what shape and size your CD player is would be handy.

Be aware that a lot of the Mini PCs like the NUC use external power supplies - bulky transformer plugs or power bricks - rather than the normal slim power cables most computers use. There are exceptions though, perhaps something like Fujitsu's Q558 would suit.

HDMI, or a DisplayPort output supporting Dual Mode, is ubiquitous so that's not a problem.

Video playback is usually done using dedicated hardware (to optimise power consumption for mobile devices) so noise is normally a non-issue for this sort of use because the main processors are just ticking over.

The exception would be if your video is being streamed in an unusual format rather than the normal MPEG2/H.264/HEVC/VP9.

There is a new video format coming in called AV1 that's not well supported yet, having hardware decode for that is a minor feature to keep an eye out for.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom