1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD player, SACD player or DVD-A player?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by mobily, Apr 19, 2005.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey all,

When I move house I intend to purchase a dedicated seperates system for music. The question is would it be worth buying a dvd-a player for example which can also play cds? Would the cds sound just as good on a dvd-a player as a cd player? This is because I could then take advantage of the extra stereo sound quality that dvd-a offers. I wouldn't have a 5.1 setup just two front speakers. Unless there is a way you can utilise the front two speakers from the cinema setup without having to buy extra speakers?

I did hear that there is a way of using pre-outs?

Your thoughts are appreciated

2. nmain

nmain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mobily,

I am in the same dilemma, do I buy a CD player or a DVD player that plays everything? I am leaning towards a good CD player for now as I can get a good CD player for a lot less than the price of a dvd player that might come close to the performance of a good cd player but may not be quite as good. I already have an entry level DVD player, I guess I will upgrade that in the future anyway and hopefully that player will do everything my cd player doesn't, ie SACD or DV-A?

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Mobily, yes its very possible, Ive always been a stereo fan and have added on DACs to my DVD-V players to lift CD replay, Im now the owner of a DVD-A player that sounds wonderful for the following disc formats :

Normal redbook CD
    HDCD CD
    DVD-V – 5.1 mixes downmixed to stereo
    DVD-A Stereo

All you need is a stereo amp and 2 speakers, Ive never went in for 5.1 music. You can use the Front pre-outs in a AV rig combining with a stereo amp, Im sure one of the experts who has done this can fill in. Anyway do a search on the forum for SD-9500 and read the threads.

nmain – consider adding a DAC to your current CD player.

You guys would be better off posting these questions in the Hifi forum, plenty of audiophiles about their to give advice.