CD Player replacement

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by pepsiblik, Feb 18, 2014.

1. pepsiblik

pepsiblik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My esteemed Arcam CD 5plus has died. The drawer won't open and spare parts cannot be had anymore. The dealer suggested to strip another CD player for parts but given the age of the player it is a total loss.

Thus, I need a replacement and given that I am completely oblivious of what is going in Hi-Fi these days, I need some advice. What are the models to look at to replace this player with? At the time the player cost me €650 and I am looking to replace it with something similar in terms of quality.

I read a good review on a Rotel RCD-1570 and the dealer sells that model. Would it give me a similar sound or are there others to look at (tight, solid bass, very rythmic and with drive)?

The CD-player is/was connected to an equally old Musical Fidelity Electra E100. I mainly play rock, metal, disco, rap and soul on it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. mattneighbour

mattneighbour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

If it is just the drawer opening that has failed then all you need to fix it is a plastic pulley/gear and a belt.

Here you go:

NEW CDM9 CDM-9 CDM9PRO CD Player Drawer Gear Wheel belt | eBay

I have an Arcam CD17 which I love, it's really musical. Disclaimer: I was involved with the voicing of it.

Regards,

Matt

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    I've seen this post up for a while now, but it doesn't seem to be getting much attentions.

I think the best we can do is make you aware of what is available, ultimately though it is up to you to decide.

Is CD your only goal? Do you need SACD? Or perhaps even feel the need for BluRay?

To some extent you judge by the reputation of the Maker.

Cd Players Arcam FMJ CD17 | hifix.co.uk

Rotel RCD-12 CD Player | Rotel RCD12 | black or silver finish Hifi Gear

Rotel RCD-1570 | RCD1570 | CD Player | from Hifi Gear

I would expect he Rotel RCD-1570 to be a pretty sweet CD Player.

As a more flexible alternative, the OPPO 103 Universal BluRay player is worth considering. It comes in two versions the Oppo 103 which has very good analog Audio Quality, plus very good playback. The Oppo 103 D Darbee, has enhanced BluRay playback and is suppose to be pretty stunning.

Oppo BDP-103EU

Oppo BDP-103D

These have additional features like Computer Network and Internet Streaming capability.

Cambridge Audio also makes a highly acclaimed Universal player.

Cambridge Audio AZUR 752BD Black | 3D Blu-ray Player | Richer Sounds

Though there are certainly other CD Player, it is hard to see how you could go wrong with either the ARCAM or ROTEL. Those two CD Player seem to hit your budget very closely.

If you feel your needs go beyond simply CD, then the Universal Players are all highly rated, and will play CD, SACD, DVD-A, BluRay-Audio, DVD-video, and BluRay-video, as well as having features for local and Internet Streaming of Audio and Video.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

4. pepsiblik

pepsiblik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thank you both for your replies. I've made some decisions. The big one is that I think I'll stick with a separate stereo and home cinema system. My needs are different for both.

The second big one is that I won't repair my Arcam alpha 5. It's had a good life and brought me lots of joy but I think the money is better spend on a new one than by patching it up for the third time. Sad but true.

So, looking for new stereo separates now :) And in the mean time my Denon 2012 will need to spin the disks. One downside is that I live in Cyprus. Good hi-fi dealers are far between and the range of brands they carry is less broad than what you'd find in the UK.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    One thing to consider when choosing a CD player these days is to look if you can find something you like with digital inputs such as Audiolab 8200 or or a separate player and DAC such as the Musical fidelity M1DAC and CDT.

Such inputs will allow flexibility for experimenting with such things as computer playback either now or down the road in a year or two.

Eloise

6. bigfish786

bigfish786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i bought a used Rega Apollo not long back for £180 and it is amazing. if you can find one on ebay or anywhere else, don't hesitate. they are a fantastic piece of kit.