Answered CD player question for a retro friend

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by KiLLiNG-TiME, Jun 23, 2015.

1. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,749
    A question for a retro friend regarding two CD players he runs some ion (heed) amps & some AE109 speakers & he just wondered whether the Naim CD5 would be would be a significant upgrade over the Rega Apollo R.

Any advice as ever is appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by BlueWizard, Jun 24, 2015 (1 points)
  3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,309
    Best Answer
    Your sentence is constructed in a way that makes it unclear what you are asking.

So, you friend is trying to decide between the -

- Naim CD5
    - - Naim CD5si = £1100
    - - Naim CD5si XS = £2250

and the -

- Rega Apollo R = £550

Can you be more specific on the Amps? Brand and model?

The Acoustic Energy 109 are older speakers so it is hard to determine their value.
    Equally on the amps.

What I am trying to do is establish the price of a CD Player that is in proportion to the rest of the equipment. Given that your price range is from £500 to nearly £2500, you also don't have any idea of what is in reasonable proportion. As a broad generality, the CD Player should be roughly equal to the cost of the Amps.

I'm sure those are all very good CD Players, but what does your friend want and need, and how much is he willing to pay to get it?

The only HEED amps I can find are compact Half-Sided amps similar to the Rega Brio, if he wants the equipment to vaguely match, that implies the Rega Apollo R CD Player.

Heed Obelisk Si = £1299 -
    Heed Audio Obelisk si review | What Hi-Fi?

In standard full component sized CD Player, there are quite a few in the range of £500 to about £1000 -

Superfi - Rotel RCD12 CD Player

Superfi - Pioneer PD50 CD/SACD Player with DAC

Superfi - Marantz SA8005 CD/SACD Player

Superfi - Rotel RCD1570 CD Player

Superfi - Arcam CDS27 CD Player and Streamer

Superfi - Audiolab 8200CD CD Player

Superfi - Audiolab 8200CDQ CD Player With Pre-Amplifier

But if he plans to stay with the Half-Sized components and at a reasonable price, then the Rega Apollo R is about the only choice -

Rega Apollo R CD Player

Also, does he need CD Only or does he need SACD, or perhaps he needs BluRay/DVD? The Devil is always in the details.

Steve/bluewizard

4. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,749
    Yes sorry about that Wizard your quite correct not clear at all is it reading that back, unfortunately like a few others around here am quite dyslexic will try again as that made more sense in my head, have edited.

He has the Rega Apollo R & is considering an upgrade i believe, i will find out more in fact i should get him to join & ask himself.

Your correct about the amps i believe he has the original early design by Richard Hay before he passed away think it was called the ion nexus.

Thank you for reply will pass it onto him & ask for more info.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  5. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,749
    Well he's just gone & brought the Naim CD5si & i suspect it will of course sound better being as its in a different class to this Rega, thanks for advice BlueWizard & this will be the last time i post for a friend as there just to many variables & i hate being in the middle.