1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD player problem.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by dAvE6, Jul 22, 2002.

1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been pretty pleased with my NAD C370 amp and Marantz CD6000 OSE CD player.

It's fully run in now and out of interest i thought i would compare it to my old Toshiba SD210 DVD-player. And to my horror i could bassicly tell no difference. I thought the gap would be considerable. If anything the dvd player was more 'full' sounding but MAYBE a tiny bit less airy and ambiant. It even seemed more bassy.

Is this normal?! I'm now wondering if it's faulty. Or is it just that the difference between players is so miniscule that it's hard to tell? What exactly is supposed to be better, is there supposed to be an IMIDIETE noticible difference? Right now i find that having spent £250 on a dedicated cd player has been a bit futile.

Thanks.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I noticed this kind of thing with my system a while back...... in the end i sat down and discovered that the dedicated player was much better, just the dvd was tuned more suitably for a quick listen, it was more in your face and striking. Sit down and have a good compare and im sure you will find this too!

ad

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Dave

I suspect you are at the upgrade stage where difference in actual CD v DVD players are not that huge IMHO, the CDP you have bought is a good one BTW, but from my experience with DVD players, they are not as bad at CD playback as the mags make out, OK in all respects your 6000 OSE probably has the edge over the 210, but I think people tend to think that buying a CDP at the same price will give them twice the performance over the DVD I would probably class 6000 OSE in the 10-20% improvement region over the 210.

At the upgrade stage you were last, at adding a DAC to your DVD-V would have been a better option IMHO, due to the fact your paying purely for sound performance, it is the most effefctive upgrade in cost terms ie "sound per pound", rather than going for another integrated CDP where your stumping up transport costs again. To get a real upgrade to the Tosh 210 IMO you would have been looking at getting a CDP in the 500-750 sector, now I know you will say that would have been out of your budget but adding a DAC from a comparable CDP in that sector, ie you can on the second hand market get a MF X24K which is the offboard reclocking DAC section from the £800 MF X-Ray CDP. A far more viable option is to add a TAG DAC 20 direct from TAG themselves for£365 which used to retail for £1250.

I went from my £500 Pioneer 717 DVD to a £300 (£200 2nd hand) MF X-24K DAC and it offered what I was looking at as an upgrade up till then I had not heard (I heard a few BTW) a £500 CDP that could sufficiently better the 717 to equate to a 100% mark up, but adding a £300 DAC (from a £800 CDP) took the performance into audiophile regions, I changed DACs a couple of months ago to the TAG and again the CD playback of my system has leapt into areas I could not believe is possible. So in my case I have added DACs to a £500 DVD which roughly equated to £800 CDPs and the TAG DAC is from a £2700 CDT-DAC combo this is the price disaparity IME of getting a real (IMHO) upgrade to DVD players from CDPs.

Where to do in your case : Sell your 6000 OSE if you dont like it (it should sell no problem for £175-200) and look out for a 2nd hand DAC or add the TAG you wont look back IMO. Other than that your looking at buying a CDP in the £500+ region and that entails buying a transport again so not sound per pound upgrade in real terms IMHO.

4. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for that very informative reply! I'm relieved i wasn't SUPPOSED to hear a significant improvement. It made me worried it as faulty.

As for a DAC. Well, all i wanted was a reasonable and cheap-ish system and then to just forget about it after all the hassle i've had with home cinema. I don't want this to be a hobby. I want it to just be a stereo to listen to as a student. The only reason i didn't get a micro system was because i thought it a waste to sell my already existing B&W 603 speakers. So i decided to get an amp to blow my home cinema one out the water. And i succeeded. By deciding to sell and get a DAC would only put me on the scrutinising upgrade path again, which i REALLY do not want. I'm young, and shouldn't worrying over such issues.

All i wanted to hear was that the player wasn't broken. I'm happy with it's performance. Of course, before i was sitting there comparing it to a DVD player and thinking ''well why doesn't it sound much better? Surely that must mean if i bought a more expensive model it would be? Or maybe it's broken?''

But it seems it's all about small increments. To the extremely keen ear, then a DVD player may seem poor, but they aren't that bad like you say.

I was thinking last night. Maybe i should get that musical fidelity £1000 player instead. But that would be so stupid, as i could spend that £750 difference on CD's, a holiday with uni mates, a gamecube, spare money for going out. And the enjoyment from that stuff would FAR outweigh a 10% increase in sound quality from a CD player! Plus of course i would then end up being obsessed with the whole sound thing again.

Do you know what i'm getting at?

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    “Do you know what i'm getting at?” Dave

Yes, been there done that !!

Do not despair dude, you made the right call about wasting the 603s on the end of a Mini system BTW. In hifi like all things in life you should go with what you think Dave not what someone else thinks, If you think your 210 is acceptable or offers pefrormance on par with your CDP then who is right ?, its your ears dude. Even if you dont want this as a hobby dude but I still think that a adding a cheap DAC (compared to £300 CDPs) will give you a good taste of hifi can be like for little outlay. But going by your last post I would keep the kit you have got and leave it a few months to bed in, see what you think then you may grow into it and not need to upgrade anything. There is a thing called upgraditis in music & AV, ie the need for constantly changing your kit to achieve sonic nirvana. Which a lot of people struggle to find if you can avoid this affliction you will be doing all right.

Hifi is not life & death dude, but for some people it is a place to go and lose yourself after a day at work, it can take you to places (think of your favourite concert) that other things like (AV) cant do IMHO.

6. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Oh Dave Dave Dave, sorry to say it but it sounds like you are on the upgrade path, and once on its very hard to get off. Maybe not now, but in a few years time, you will be wondering if that £5000 cd has a 2% tighter bass than your existing £4500 player, and then when you get that you will want to upgrade your £4500 amp to a £5500 one to cope with the new cd, then you will notice that your previously excellent speakers (4900 by the way) will need upgrading to cope with your new amp . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

E- mail me in 10 years and say its not true :D

BTW, the £1000 MF cd is fantastic;)