1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Player Output

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Will18, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Will18

Will18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Now I don't know much of the lingo so bare with me.

But when using a dedicated Cd player seperate, when sending out the signal to the amp via optical or coax the amp would decode the signal. But if connected via analoge then the music would be decoded via the CD player and thus give a better sound?

2. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Will18

There are a number of issues here mate.
    I presume you are talking about sending the digital output to an AV amp with internal DACs. If you talking about a stereo amp then of course you will need to use the analogue outs of the CD player.
    In general you will be better off using the DAC inside any CD player that you have rather than using those inside an AV amp as the DAC in the CD player will be better. Also, if you are going to use an AV amp for this then you need to make sure it has an analogue pass through or it will redigitise the incoming analogue data and reconvert it using its own DACs, thus losing any advantage you had in doing the DtoA conversion in the cd player itself.

Hope this helps
    Jim

3. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Rule of thumb is that a cheap CD player may have a rubbish DAC so send the output digitally to get a better sound.

A good CD player will have a reasonable DAC probably better than an average AV unit, so use the analog outs.

A standalone expensive DAC will make a better job on most cheap & mid-range CD players so use the digital out on the CD.

A bit simplified but that's the general drift.

Steve