1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Player Output suddenly very low - please help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by beckstrous, Aug 10, 2005.

1. beckstrous

beckstrous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I am a girl and this is my first post, so please be gentle :) .

I've searched the forums and the FAQ but can't find an answer to my question, so here goes...

About two and a half years ago I bought my first separates system from Richer Sounds. I had a very limited budget but I have an amp I am happy with (Cambridge Audio A5), DAB radio I am happy with (also by Cambridge Audio), a little turntable I like and an Acoustic Solutions SP120 CD Player.

Just recently I moved house and when I reconnected the hi fi system, all was fine - apart from the CD player, which was suddenly very quiet. The output was so low that to get a decent volume I had to turn the amp up to over halfway - I've never had it that loud before. Sound quality also seemed to have been reduced: suddenly my CD player sounded like my MP3 player does when I connect that to the stereo (and I never expect great quality sound or much welly from the MP3 player, but I would from the CD player).

I tried various different leads and inputs and it made no difference. The DAB radio, turntable and my boyfriend's minidisc player are all fine. They sound a lot louder than the CD player now, whereas the turntable used to be a little quieter than the CD Player (which I gather is normal). So I took my amp and CD player back to Richer Sounds and they hooked my amp (and other amps) up to various different CD players, including mine, and concluded that there was a problem with the CD player but they were not sure what.

Having just moved house I'm really rather skint at the moment but I had no option other than to pay £35 for a repair, and it may cost me more than that - or they may not be able to repair it, I don't know.

I get the impression people don't rate the AS CD Players much on here, so I sort of wish I'd got a different CD Player now, but at the time it was all I could afford.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea what could possibly have caused this fault and whether it'll be easy to fix? I did ask in the shop, but they said they didn't know. I am a bit worried about paying a fortune to fix something that was not worth a fortune in the first place and could go wrong again. I asked if it had been the move (the CD player was carefully strapped in my passenger seat with the rest of the system) and they said this was unlikely.

Sorry this post is so long, but I wanted to get all the info in. I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Beck

2. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To be honest if it's got a problem it's probably not worth worrying about and you could just buy a new one for less than it would cost to get it fixed / looked at.

It does sound a weird problem as if the output is at a lower level then it should be? Are you connecting the L & R output into a L & R input on the amp ? not accidentally using the headphone output or similar that would be at a different level?

Where I live there is a cash converters and they actually sell those AS cd players quite cheap, but you can get a decent second hand cd player cheap either off ebay or on this forum or just go back to RS and see what they have.

3. beckstrous

beckstrous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I sort of thought maybe it wasn't going to be worth getting it fixed unless they can fix it for no cost above the £35 I have just paid.

Yeah, in the shop they said the output was too low but it was definitely connected up properly. I wouldn't put it past myself to do it wrong, but my boyfriend also tried it and so did three different people in the shop (and they were all stumped, though they agreed there was a problem).

I hadn't really anticipated having to buy a new one so soon but seeing as the shop said if I decided it was too expensive to fix they would knock £20 off a different model and if they couldn't fix it they would knock the £35 I paid off I may end up doing that.

My boyfriend said I could use his CD player (which is up North - we live down South) and I would've done that, but in a way it seems that the only way I won't have wasted my £35 will be to buy a new one! :eek:

I'm not overly impressed with AS, to be honest - I did originally have an AS amp that went bust - they couldn't repair it and as it was still under warranty they swapped it for the Cambridge Audio I now have, which was more expensive and a lot better. My first AS CD player also went bust but they swapped that, and the model they gave me is the one I have just sent for repair. It was OK for the first 2.5 years! Ho hum...

4. phalaris

phalaris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It probably didn't do justice to the amp anyway. Acoustic Solutions make decent speakers and wiring (this is information from somebody who used to work for them) but their CDP designs are basically not theirs. They just put an AS cover on them and use the same cheap schematics that you'd see with the likes of Bush or Alba.

Your best bet - give it a decent burial and be grateful for the fun times you had with it. Considering you're on a budget and you have an older CA amp then maybe you could get a matching CD player for that amp (I'm not sure what that would be, I think it may be the CD34 or CD36) so that you could share the remote for the two.