1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD player options

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by aka, Mar 31, 2003.

1. aka

aka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Last weekend I went to look for CD player, I got 4 options so far,
    ARCAM CD72
    ROTEL RCD02
    ROTEL RCD1070
    MARANTZ OSE 6000

Have anybody had experience with these system or upgraded to these system?
    Please give me advice...

:(

thanks b4,a-k

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've demod the Arcam CD72T & Rotel RCD-02. Loved both Arcam probably shades it musically but the Rotel looks better (partic as I have a Rotel amp) and it's £70 cheaper, curretnly I'm leaning towards the Rotel (that's the one I have on loan at the moment & it is a pleasure to listen to music with)

3. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Rotel 1070 for a few months now, so here's a highly informative technical review..

It looks & sounds bloody fantastic.. :D

4. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the marantz cd6000KI. it can be found for around £300 now. I've had it for a year now and havet regreted it at all. I demoed it against an NAD player (i forget the model number) and the arcam cd72. There was no contest. The KI sounded so much more full bodied and tuneful. The cd72 had a hard tonality that I realy didn't like. I'm not a fan of soft sounding players but the arcam realy was a bit too much in the opposite direction.

I will say that it depends what kit you intend to use it with though, I used an arcam a75 amp and mission 773e speakers.

5. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of sound are you after (warm, bright etc.)? And what equipment are you hooking it up to?

I have a Marantz CD6000 KI and, as Vection say, it has a very warm sound, and since the rest of my system is quite bright sounding it helps balance things out a little.

6. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I've heard the Rotel RCD-02 alongside a Rotel RA-01 amplifier. I have also compared it with a Pioneer DVD player and a Cambridge Audio DAC3, using the same amplifier.

I found that while the RCD-02 is a reasonable enough player, I actually preferred the much cheaper DVD/DAC setup, which for me had a more punchy sound. The Rotel was possibly a bit more refined however, but I felt it was not really worth £380 IMHO.

I'd suspect the Marantz CD6000KI would be a better buy. But dont rule out the Cambridge Audio D500SE either, as it can probably hold its own with the players mentioned here, and is also much cheaper, assuming you can live with the looks (you can get them in silver as well BTW).

7. aka

aka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a more natural sound, you can calll it warm i think, but not too soft...
    My music range would be jazz, rock and pop

I use Onkyo amp SP600 and BW 602S3...

BTW, they also offered me Musical Fidelity A3.2 and NAD S500i
    but i think they are a little bit out of my budget..

I am going to demo some of them today also MF and NAD 500i, maybe also cambridge 500, thanks pbirkett

rgds,a-k

8. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for as I'm aware your speakers are fairly bright sounding with excellent bass response. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I reckon this should compliment a Marantz CD6000KI quite welll, it'll help temper that bright maybe somewhat harsh trebble and the Marantz overall warm sound should compliment your speakers bass output. I'm not sure about your amp though.

Now I'd hardly class myself as an audiophile so that last paragraph probably came straight out of my arse, so people feel free to disagree with me on this, but I reckon aka should go for the Marantz.

9. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep I'd agree with that. You spoke very clearly whilst sitting down there mate.:D

Well audiophiled:smoke:

10. aka

aka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday I compare NAD541i vs RTL1070 and ARCAM92 vs NAD500i, because they are in different store.
    541 vs 1070 didn't showh much diffrent in playing the regular CD, but when it comes to HDCD, 1070 shows it capabillities in delivering richer and warmer sounds.
    NAD500i vs ARCAM92, I wanted to test 72 but it's out of stock, so the dealer offered me 92.
    I found ARCAM was a little bit dry and NAD can give more details to the song, maybe because of the oversampling things. The sound was more solid. Well, I vote for NAD500i, but once again, my wallet decides it all.
    So, I have to spend more time to checked the CD players :(

11. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we all have this problem to a greater or lesser degree. At least you know what kind of sound you are aiming for now.

12. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My massive student overdraft buffer decides it all in my case ;)