1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cd Player.....Need I spend more ??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mike-M, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've just bought the Quad 99 Pre/Power combo. And now need a CD Player. Have a budget of around £600 (don't want the matching Quad one).
    The thing is I have been using a borrowed Nad C521Bee and I have to say I am very impressed with the sound I'm getting. So much so that I am tempted to go for a Nad C542 (has lots of good reviews) and save the rest of my money.
    Just wondered what others would do in this situation?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,150
    Be trawling the classifieds, ebay, exdem and HiFi4Sale with about £400 looking for something exceptional as there inevitably will be. I would have thought a 99CDP would fall into this catagory.

This is what I would do though.

3. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    I have the C542 and have been extremely happy with it. I recently got a chance to listen and possibly upgrade to a Rotel (cant remember the model number, but 3 times the price here in Oz compared to the NAD) but didnt really hear enough difference to justify it. I think you'll be happy with the C542!

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike - What about the Cyrus CD6 approx £600 and it is a cracking CD spinner very Dynamic.... :)

John

5. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thank's all.

Tons. I have thought about doing what you said but my understanding is that the cdp will plug directly into the power amp bypassing the pre I have just bought!.
    One of the reasons for buying what I did was that because of my room layout (the changing of which would not make me the most favourite person. If you know what I mean) I need a balance control.
    I have also read that using the supplied Quad interconnect to connect to the pre results in a poor sound because of the poor quality of the cable.

6. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Just to clear up some confusion here about the CD-P:

The CD-P is sometimes described as a CD player and pre-amp combined, which is not strictly true. Instead, it is a CD player with a variable output (alongside its conventional fixed outputs).

View it purely as a normal CD player, but equipped with a second pair of (alternative) outputs that are routed via an internal volume control. The volume control is a single item (no balance or tone controls or tape loops here) and contributes roughly only £50 of the overall £1000 cost of the player. Therefore, used via its normal fixed outputs (which bypass the aforementioned volume control), then you are looking at effectively a 'true' £950 CD player. Note: The variable output thing worships at the altar of short signal path philosophy and all that. Its cheapness is in its simplicity - one extra component only.

In your case, to use the CD-P as a 'normal' CD player then you can use the QuadLink cable between the CD-P and the Pre if you wish, and that allows you to have everything working off one handset (the pre-amp handset). Fine for those who want that. But this is not compulsory.

Alternatively, you can connect the CD-P (from its fixed outputs) to the Pre (Aux 1 for example) using standard phono cables for improved sound (no QuadLink connected). At this point though CD and amps cannot all work from one handset. You would need to use the remote that comes with the CD-P to work the CD-P, and the system remote to operate the Pre-amplifier. Just like if you had bought a non-Quad CD player. A remote for the CD and a remote for the Pre.

In essence, the variable output was added as a last minute thought for those who use only one component (CD), but who have no need for balance controls, tone controls, phono inputs etc. Adding a simple pot to the circuit board (50 quid) of the CD player then allows that person to go direct into a power amp - saving the cost and complexity of a conventional pre-amp (which are far from cheap items). Hence, to think of a CD-P as a combi CD-Pre is somewhat incorrect. In cost terms it is 95% CD player and 5% pre-amp.

So, if you can find a secondhand one that falls within your budget, and you like the sound of it, then it would be the perfect choice for your system.

HTH

7. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for that explanation Lost Cause. Havn't tried to programme it for the CD yet but I use a Home Theatre Master remote so (assuming it works with the Quad) different remotes will not be an issue. After reading what you say I think I will look out for a CD-P as it would seem be the natural choice to go with.

8. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :)

The Quad's remote codes are standard Philips RC5 (as used on 90% of British CD players), so methinks you should be OK. If you do end up with a CD-P then remember to learn from the Pre's handset(if you use the QuadLink), or the CD-P's handset (if you use the standard outputs).

9. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There are some very, very good budget designs out there, available for beer money, that many people could live happily, with for a long time. The NAD 541i/542 is one of them, also consider the Rotel RCD-02 and Cambridge Audio 640c.

The above are just ridiculously good for the money.

But, if you are intent on dropping £600 notes, buying ex-dem or nearly new can get you something special:

Audio Analogue Paganini Mk2
    Musical Fidelity A3.2
    Cyrus CD8
    Meridian 507.24
    Roksan Caspian
    Arcam FMJ CD23T
    Primare D.30
    Naim CD5i

These are the obvious "big-name" choices, but there are loads out there to choose from. I have no idea which one of these would suit the Quads best, as I am totally unfamiliar their amplifiers!

DT

10. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I recently saw a MF Trivista DAC go for £725

Ive seen AV32Rs go for £600 in the past.

If you own a DVD player mate already I would run one of those towards £600 of prime DAC real estate.

11. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    :eek: Christ, the world has gone quite mad! More-or-less the last word in red-book decoding, for £725!

Again, crazy! (wouldn't the DPA32r be a better fit in this particular situation though?)

DT

12. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Depends what you refer to as crazy DT, I know of a DAC 64 user selling his unti just now because he had “upgraded” to a £100 Ebay bought DIY Non OS DAC – ie no filters at all – no regard paid to jitter design – no oversampling DAC. Digital audio is getting a well deserved kick in the scrotum just now with “the new kids on the block” ie PC based Dac architecture for pennies. FWIW I cant see myself ever moving on from my DAC 20, lovely sound, plenty of inputs, plenty of outputs. And no matter what I feed it – DVD, CD, MD, Freeview Digital TV Radio, PC via SC Digital output, it just makes me grin like a silly person.

Why because it’s a stereo based device rather than a 5.1 AV pre like the AV32R, not so sure, TAGs aim when developing the AV32R was that it offered the same stereo ability as the DPA32 but with C&R channels, also note that there are much more AV32Rs about than DPAs I have noted, price wise Im sure you have seen AV32Rs going for £600 ish, Ive seen fully stacked AV32Rs with 192 DACs and 5.1 bypasses going on this site for £1000. FWIW I nearly went down the AV32R into Primare A30.2 or A30.3 purely because of the AV32Rs stereo ability, I ended up with a DAC 20 + A30.1 and stereo is where I’ll remain, there is a dude Ive known a long while over on HFC another DAC 20 + A30.1 user and guess what he is considering as his next step in audio dude, combining his stereo ie use his DVD in a AV32R + Primare A30.5 combo for CD too. Many stereo fans rate the AV32R DT in both 96 & 192Khz guise on many forums ive been on, they broke the mould with those AV pres – especially now when you consider £600 price tags. Hell I would easily consider using one off a DVD player into a 2 channel PAs for CD use.

All IMHO of course.

And Ive just noticed the dude has bought a pre-power Quad combo which effects the use of a AV32R slightly :D