1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Player Lens Cleaning Help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Crocodile JD, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Does anyone know whether those lense pick up cleaning discs are safe and if so, do they work? It's that one that's a CD with tiny brushes glued on in 2 places. You put a drop of cleaning fluid (as supplied) to one brush and spin the disc.

thanks

Croc

2. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure about your particular cleaner, but I believe they're not really recommended as there is a possibility of scratching the lens, especially after repeated use. I have an Allsop one (dry, no fluid) that I've used on an old Sony CD player and it seemed to work, but I'd only use it when the thing fails to play properly, not as a general maintenance thing.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    hi, I bought the Allsop carbon fibre cleaner - I hadn't cleaned my cd player (and it's over 4 years old) - and the different was amazing but less so with my year old dvd player...

4. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    ....well i did use it, but I'm tempted to take the lid off now. One to see if the lens is actually clean and two to check it's still OK. I might as well have done that it the first place and used cotton buds :rolleyes: