CD Player Issues

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by BrutalPizza, Apr 15, 2018.

1. BrutalPizza

BrutalPizza
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello

So, my Dad has a Philips CD-471 and there is currently an issue with it that I am going to explain, hoping that someone can help identify the problem and give possible ways of fixing it.

Basically, before I say anything else I will say that we have tried taking the player apart and cleaning the laser directly. He also has this cleaning kit thing with a CD with some brushes on and some cleaning fluid, tried that twice as well.

So...the issue here is that, it skips/jumps quite a lot. However, the main thing to take note of here is the fact that, for some reason what we have noticed is that, it seems to ONLY skip on the first 2-3 or so tracks. Anything above that, it's perfectly fine.
    Also, we have tried multiple CD's - for example it seems to play some somewhat scratched CD's fine, however it skips on the first couple of tracks on some of my brand new CD's that don't have a mark on them. (It still seems to skip regardless of whether it's a new or old CD).

It's nothing to do with vibrations or anything either since I literally tried it at such a quiet volume it still skipped.

So, yeah...
    Any ideas anyone?
    Since this has been cleaned multiple times using 2 different ways, is it just the actual laser that's gone dodgy? Or do you think it could be resolved somehow? Or is it just time for a new player?

Would actually kind of be a shame to get rid of it. Since unlike most other CD players of it's time, and even ones that came out many years later, it actually has a good 16bit/44.1KHz DAC. Unlike other CD players of it's time and later ones that seemed to have a 1 bit DAC...

Thanks

2. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,170
    There are so any things that can go wrong with old equipment, laser, drives or software that it often becomes time for it to hit the recycle bin. An old LG that I have is displaying symptoms similar to what you have described, it's as if it is trying to read the first couple of tracks, skips and jumps before settling down. I'm not competent enough to strip it down so my best option was to buy eow.

There are really good players available with good DACs onboard, all depends on the budget, either in trying to get the Philips repaired or buying new.

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    I have an old Arcam Alpha+ player which I think has the same DAC but a different transport so this may well not help but worth a try. Mine was also skipping but research suggested that as it was working some of the time, it wasn't the laser at fault. Someone suggested it could be the disc slipping and told me to clean the parts where the disc clamps in to place. I don't know if the transport mech is at all similar in your player but when I opened mine up, it was clear what was being talked about and a clean with a white cloth took off some black 'stuff' of some sort. Not sure if it was dirt, worn plastic/rubber or what but it did the trick. I used the player regularly for a few hours a day after that and not a single problem so it's now in storage as a spare for when one of my other players starts messing about. This may not work with your player but worth a try if the transport mech looks similar.

4. ezav

ezav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Two things that come to mind given the nature of the problem are:

a) The disc is not level when it's spinning (spinning at an angle). This means that the outer edges of the disc are further off the laser head than the tracks closer to the centre, which could explain why it has trouble reading only the first two-three tracks.

b) The laser head can't focus properly i.e. you need to adjust the focus bias. You can find a lot of information on this on the net, but you need to be very careful and adjust it very slightly (I'm talking sub-milimeter adjustment), as the bias is usually set close to the maximum current for the laser head from the factory and the head may get burned with bigger adjustments.

Given it tracks fine most of the CD, I would say the b) situation is unlikely and most likely there is some mechanical fault that causes the disc to not spin level. I would resort to b only after ensuring a. Of course it could be something else, but without working on the machine I can't think of something else.

Given the machine is rather old, I wouldn't spend money on fixing it. If you can't DIY the repair I would suggest just buying a new one (or a more recent used model)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. Blupetros

Blupetros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    CD's (and all optical discs as far as I am aware) are read from the centre outwards so that theory is incorrect.

6. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Somebody on another thread changed the rubber drive band, got a selection at a garage and found one to fit. That solved his problem.

7. ezav

ezav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes I got confused, sorry I don't know what I was thinking lol. But still this is often an issue and I think it should be checked for. Another obvious thing that comes to mind is that the mechanism that moves the head may be stuck/in need of lubrication.

8. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    Had that problem with another one of my players and was causing a similar issue only it was always towards the end of the disc. A quick clean and re-grease and the problem was solved.

9. ezav

ezav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think it should be something mechanical so checking the parts that have been mentioned and lubricating should be enough. Given the speed vector is smaller in the early parts of the disc, I don't think there should be a focusing problem if it manages to focus on the outer sections of the disc.

10. BrutalPizza

BrutalPizza
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Wow okay, lots of replies within a few hours. Thank you to everyone here, I will pass all of this advice over to my Dad, I'll get back to everyone on things that we tried and what the results were.
    Thanks again.

11. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,460
    Clean and lightly re-grease the “Sled”
    This is two chromed poles that the optical head is mounted on and transverses to read the disc tracks.
    This is a very common fault on all CD mechanisms.

12. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    I don't think his player works quite like that. It will be this type...

The almost complete Philips CDM range of Swing Arm CD Mechanisms

13. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,460
    The optical head isn't belt driven.

14. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,460
  15. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +909
    This player was produced in the late eighties so nearly 30 years old. Grease will go hard with time, dust will accumulate etc. You could try fixing it but is it worth it when you could pick up a later CD player for very little secondhand.