1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Player in £500 range new or used??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by edlomb, Sep 26, 2004.

1. edlomb

edlomb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

Hoping I can get some recomendations.

My current set up consists of the following:

Arcam Alpha 9 amp
    Marantz CD72 MKII SE cd player
    B&W CDM-1NT Speakers
    Rega Planer 3 (motor upgraded) with Trichord Dino phono stage.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a new cd player. I'm looking in the £400-500 range but am open to considering used players.

I remember reading good reviews on the Arcam 9 cd player years ago and have seen some going for the £4-500 range. I've noticed other highly rated players going for this kind of price. If I go the used route I can get some £8-900 players for a good deal but of course they will be 5 years old.

Anyone know what the Roksan Kandy Mk III cd player is like. I've seen one in my price range.

Does anyone ahve any recomendations new or old.

Thanks

Eddie

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Edlomb,
    What's wrong with your Marantz? Is the transport on the way out? If not I would seriously consider upgrading it with an external DAC. (Plenty here will agree - There are a lot of very recent threads on this very subject) I doubt you'll find a very big improvment over your CD72 by buying another CD player in that price range. They all sound pretty much the same and I reckon you'd be disapointed with the results. They all use very similar components afterall. The only one i'd really recomend is the Rega Planet. This is a great little CD player.
    As you have about a five hundred pound budget why not look to a Music Fidelity or TAG DAC 20? You will get far more music for your money this way than replacing your CD player.
    HTH

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry not heard the Kandy stuff just the Caspian which was very good. I imagine the Kandy would be a decent buy.

If you like the Arcam sound then a 9 or one of their previous range used/ex dem would be worth looking for.

Rega Planet New
    Rega Jupiter Used
    MF 3.2 Used
    Naim CD5 and Arcam FMJ 23 - pushing the budget but both fine players - very different syle of sound though.

Condsidered a DAC?

MF 3 24
    Tag Dac 20

The benefit of buying used is that you can usually move it on with little loss. Very handy if getting demo's is difficult, the downside is the lack of warranty (usually) and dealer backup.

Gus

4. edlomb

edlomb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I only recently bought the CD72 off ebay for £200 and am pleased with it. I had a CD67 SE before and the CD72 is much better. Its in great shape too as the seller barely used it. It was his second systems player. Anyway...

I thought about a DAC approach so thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck really so I'll take a look.

Eddie

5. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A new CDP for £500? I'd save another £100 for that Inca Katana. Haven't heard it yet but its had good reviews and looks stunning - oh and the remote. The remote!!

I use a DAC so am biased in this regard. Plenty knocking about 2nd hand. £500 will buy you a very good one from MF, Meridian, TAG, Perp. Tech. etc.

DT