Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

CD player help required

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Slug, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Slug

Slug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Micromega Stage 1 is playing up again. The disc drawer mechanism is faulty. I can open it manually and the machine will play but it's a pain that I won't be able to put up with for long.
    I want get back to the position where I have a fully functional CD player at least as good as the Micromega.
    Should I:
    Get the Stage 1 fixed again?
    Buy a 2nd hand mid to high-end player on ebay - any suggestions of what makes a good second hand buy?
    Buy a new machine - any suggestions of a budget machine that won't leave me feeling downgraded?
    Or should I give up and play CDs on my Pioneer 545 DVD player?
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Slug

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Depending on what the rest of the equipment you are using is like, you could do a lot worse than buying one of these: TDA 1543 non os dac and connect it to the 545.
    Run a search on Google and see what all the fuss is about.
    They are quite often on ebay. Coast between £70 and £110. It'll be the best £100 or so you'll spend this year. I'm in the process of building/tweaking one at the moment. It's not quite the equal of the DAC64.... Yet!

3. Slug

Slug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice on the DAC. It's certainly worth a thought.
    In the meantime I've had the cover off and cleaned and lubed the drawer mechanism with partial success. The drawer now opens as it should but needs a helping hand to close. I suspect the drive belt may have stretched a little.
    Any idea where I might get a replacement drive belt about 40mm diameter?
    Thanks
    Slug

4. Slug

Slug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you know I have sourced a replacement belt from cpc.co.uk and the drawer now works fine again. If anyone is interested the relevant part is AVBELT79 - cost 26p + £4.99 handling charge + VAT. A good deal cheaper than even the most secondhand DAC although I may consider that as a future upgrade now the drive works properly again.
    Regards
    Slug

5. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Slug,

My Stage 1 has the problems you appear to have fixed: drawer not opening/closing properly (and very noisy when it does); and occasionally 'skipping' on some tracks.

What did you do to fix it?