CD Player - Help and Advice

Thank you. I'm a little nervous of buying a B-Grade unit but appreciate they're fairly common. I've certainly seen several Denon and Marantz players that fall under this category; it does make me ask why someone has returned it though, for example. I'd be confident of finding a new cd11 for £350/£375 if I'm patient so would probably prefer to pay slightly more and get something unused.
Just need to make sure I properly consider the Denon and possibly Yamaha options as well before committing to the Rotel.
Thanks

Thank you. I'm a little nervous of buying a B-Grade unit but appreciate they're fairly common. I've certainly seen several Denon and Marantz players that fall under this category; it does make me ask why someone has returned it though, for example. I'd be confident of finding a new cd11 for £350/£375 if I'm patient so would probably prefer to pay slightly more and get something unused.
Just need to make sure I properly consider the Denon and possibly Yamaha options as well before committing to the Rotel.
Thanks
How much are you wishing to spend?

As with all these things, as little as possible. They always seem to come at the wrong time!
£300-£400, a bit more if it gave me that extra comfort I wasn't going to be disappointed.
One of the biggest questions is still new vs used. The latter will obviously enable me to get something higher spec.

I understand the reservation to buy used. People sometimes return stuff because they don't like it, not because its bad. Maybe they were expecting it to perform like a £3000 CD player? It is what it is...a nice £400 CD player. A new one at £400 is still quite reasonable. I have no regrets, and I paid full price. Good luck :)

Yes, I understand what you're saying. I guess its about managing expectation sometimes
Thanks

Its a shame you don't live nearby (Hertfordshire). I'd happily have brought the player over so you could try it. Hope this sharing has been helpful. Good luck...

Although the Primare D20 is 20 years old, I suspect that one if proper working order will still compare well to many a contemporary CD player and probably better than any recent player at £400.

I therefore suggest that you navigate to https://primare.net/ and submit a request for help (under Support). You can find your local distributor on https://primare.net/primare-help-centre/contact/. Either way, you should be able to determine if the CDP can be repaired and what it's likely to cost, and can then make an informed decision as to how to proceed.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. I guess its about managing expectation sometimes
Thanks
I've only ever bought one open box which was a customer return. That was a Pioneer LX500 player from SSaV. Saved myself £200 on the new price and it was pristine, came with a full warranty and has been faultless. I think you're pretty safe buying from good dealer.

+1on the Denon DCD-1600NE, great machine and can be found used for around 500 on ebay.

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts/comments.
I've looked inside the player and, in my opinion, everything looks clean with no obvious areas that might cause operational issues. I'm going to continue to look at the second-hand/open box/b-stock market, as well as a new Rotel and then try to make an informed decision whether to pursue repairing my Primare.
Cheers

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts/comments.
I've looked inside the player and, in my opinion, everything looks clean with no obvious areas that might cause operational issues. I'm going to continue to look at the second-hand/open box/b-stock market, as well as a new Rotel and then try to make an informed decision whether to pursue repairing my Primare.
Cheers
Good luck :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom