1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd player for the denon avr1905

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ibsclaus, Mar 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ibsclaus

ibsclaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I have opted for the denon avr1905 because I want the option for decent surround sound in the next year or so when I move house. However at the moment I will be using it just for cd playback. I have settled on either the wharfedale diamond 9.1's or the b&w 600's as my initial bookshelf speakers so that I can eventually encoprorate them into a surround set up and also because they have to be out of reach of the kids!! i have tested loads of different set ups and am pretty happy with this kit however I am heading back to the shop to test some cd players as I have now decided to use the direct mode on the receiver to get better stereo performance and therefore think I am better of getting a dedicated cd, which I can eventually use with a dedicated stereo amp, or so the plan goes. The problem is that for less than £300 what cd palyer should I get. i am thinking about the NAD C542 or the cambridge azur640c but i can't test them alongside one another because of cambridge's affiliation to one particular retailer!! Any thoughts or reccomendations would be appreciated

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    While I am firmly in the camp of having a dedicated CD player for stereo duties, IMHO a dedicated CD with the Denon amp would not be the best use of your money. I would be more inclined to recommend to use the budget allocated on the CD player on a 'better' DVD player.

This thread maybe of benefit
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182111&highlight=CD+DVD+comparison

You may also get a better response by posting in the DVD player section or HiFi separates for question relating to CD playback qualities of DVD players or dedicated CD players.

And welcome to the forum

3. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would listen to it first compared to an average CD player. I personally found a £850 DVD player verses a £150 CD player and the CD player sounds like it is actually in the room and more lively. But like i said that is my thought you may feel different and it will vary on the music you use the speakers your room etc.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    As you say you will be using it with a dedicated stereo amp at a latter date then you could go for either of the machines you list as long as you understand that you will not be getting the full quality of the sound via your AVR

Depending on what your long term goals are for both systems (and what you have at the moment) I would be more tempted to get the end result DVD player at this point rather than the CD player. Whilst DVD players are not as good as dedicated CD players I do not think this would be a major issue given the limiting factor of the AVR. Secondally you can never tell when circumstances change and it imo if you are intending to buy seperates it is best to do it when you are going to be getting 'all' of the kit within a short time - I did a long time ago go down the route of buying a 1/2 CD player to use with a budget amp (knowing I wouldnt get the best out of it with the current amp) but then before I got a chance to buy the intended amp I got a new job with much higher pay and so ended up buying a new CD player & amp - never got the most out of the mid range cd player and so it was really a waste of money

5. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You might want to consider the Limit DVDA900SE, which is a Cyrus-tuned for CD playback. It's £100 from Play, and has been compared favorably against much more expensive CD players. Do a search on the forums and you should come up with lots of views on it (mostly good).

Balders.

6. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I should have read more carefully. Ignore my previous post.

I would be more inclined to follow Astaroths recommendation. Unless there is a clear upgrade path, the experience usually cost an unnecessay amount.

I think a DVD player (something along the lines of a Pioneer DV575A) would be a better point to start.