CD Player for Marantz SR6015

hollywoodNINE

Novice Member
I recently purchased a Marantz SR6015. This is huge upgrade compared to the rest of my budget system. I currently have a Sony DVP S530D (CD/DVD) and Sony BDPS1700 (Blu Ray). I just bought a toslink cable which I now understand turns my cd player into a transport and uses the DAC in the SR6015. I have on order the Marantz CD6007. But now I'm wondering with the DAC in the AVR what does the 6007 give me that makes the upgrade worthwhile? Should I look at something else?

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

The cd6007 and it's predecessor the cd6006 are fine players. Change of DAC in the cd6007 to the AK4490 is an improvement over the Cirrus Logic 4398 and that DAC will do a better job than those found in the AVR. An analogue connection to the AVR would be my choice.

The cd6006/7 are probably the best players in their class and even above so you would have to double your budget at least to get something remotely better. I have previously owned the cd6006.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Just some info from here - Marantz SR6015 Review (9.2 CH 8K AV Receiver) | Home Media Entertainment

"The SR6015 is no slouch when it comes to the internal audio components it uses. As such we find the familiar AKM AK4458 32-bit DACs that are responsible for all audio conversions, it features Marantz’s proprietary Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAMs) that deliver ultra-wide-band response and detailed reproduction as well as current feedback circuitry and Hybrid PLL Clock Jitter Reducer for optimum fidelity and maximum dynamic range. Along with its high-current discrete power amplifier with low-impedance drive capability it offers operational stability with a wide range of speakers for balanced, quality sound."

So the DAC in the SR6015 uis at least the same family (AK) as those used in the marantz CD players but looks like either an earlier version or a lower level going by the part number.

hollywoodNINE

Novice Member
thanks for the info. I was hoping that would be the case but was unsure. now if only they would come off backorder. See how long it take to receive it.

Kapkirk

Dedicated CD Player will NEARLY ALWAYS sound much better via its own analogue outs than running a cheapo dvd/blu ray player (Or even the Marantz CD player) into the DAC (via optical/toslink) to the SR6015, if it doesn't I will eat my keyboard.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom