CD Player for Denon 3700

decson74

Hi

I have a Denon 3700 with a Rega 1 + turntable which I love the warm sound from.

I have loads of old CDs that I haven’t used in a long time and also noting some new albums are not available on LP, so considering a CD player.

I get AVs aren’t great for music, but using audessy with flat reference on stereo I am really loving the sound from records so I don’t mind paying a little above entry level (though not massive budget lol) for a CD player.

Ideas/ thoughts ? Or would I be just better with a Denon 600.. though could afford a Marantz 6006 (at a push 6007), then use analogue connector over digital - though advice appreciated on that also.

Longer term I do aim on upgrading front speakers and a separate amp (pass thru) but for now really happy with what I have achieved.

Any ideas/advice ? Thank you!

Nico72

If you like the sound of the Denon AVR, I would suggest that you try a DVD player connected to a digital input on the AVR first. You may already have a DVD or BD player with optical out. Otherwise you can probably get a second hand one for under £30, just to try.

gibbsy

As above, if you already have a blu ray player then that will be more than capable of playing CD either digital or with an analogue connection. Panasonic players have that ability. A standalone CD player would be better and you'll be hard pressed to find a better one than the Marantz models.

If you eventually want a stereo amp with HT by-pass then a CD player makes much more sense.

decson74

If you like the sound of the Denon AVR, I would suggest that you try a DVD player connected to a digital input on the AVR first. You may already have a DVD or BD player with optical out. Otherwise you can probably get a second hand one for under £30, just to try.
Sadly don’t now. Have PS5 but doesn’t do CD.
Stream more though have a few 4K uhd discs in mind now playing more Atmos etc.
And yes the 3700 sounds good when you tinker.. no expert or audiophile but compared to friends cheap decks and little amps I can tell the difference.

decson74

As above, if you already have a blu ray player then that will be more than capable of playing CD either digital or with an analogue connection. Panasonic players have that ability. A standalone CD player would be better and you'll be hard pressed to find a better one than the Marantz models.

If you eventually want a stereo amp with HT by-pass then a CD player makes much more sense.
Thank you. Yeah may go for the the 6006SE unsure if the benefits of the 6007 would make a difference to me.

gibbsy

Thank you. Yeah may go for the the 6006SE unsure if the benefits of the 6007 would make a difference to me.
I had a cd6006. Very good player, well made and silent when in use. I have no doubt that it was, no doubt the cd60007 still is, the best player for £500 or less and will hold it's own against others above that price point as well. I used with originally with my old Denon X6200 by analogue and it was certainly a better CD spinner than my Denon blu ray player.

When I came to play the 6006 through a stereo integrated amp it really did come to life although that was probably down to the superiority of the stereo amp over the Denon AV amp. I now have a Marantz sa8005 SACD player which is very good indeed, I have a lot of confidence in any Marantz player.

decson74

I had a cd6006. Very good player, well made and silent when in use. I have no doubt that it was, no doubt the cd60007 still is, the best player for £500 or less and will hold it's own against others above that price point as well. I used with originally with my old Denon X6200 by analogue and it was certainly a better CD spinner than my Denon blu ray player.

When I came to play the 6006 through a stereo integrated amp it really did come to life although that was probably down to the superiority of the stereo amp over the Denon AV amp. I now have a Marantz sa8005 SACD player which is very good indeed, I have a lot of confidence in any Marantz player.
Thank you. Next year the new amp for sure.

But if going to buy a CD player now then prefer to get something to last. So the marantz seems worth it over the Denon CD players for now at my price point.

gibbsy

Thank you. Next year the new amp for sure.

But if going to buy a CD player now then prefer to get something to last. So the marantz seems worth it over the Denon CD players for now at my price point.
At a point up the Denon DCD 1600 NE I would go with the Marantz. Once you hit the 1600 NE though Denon's hold the sway with that and their outstanding DCD 2500 NE. The difference between Marantz and Denon is how they actually sound. Marantz have that warm, rhythmic signature that will suit a lot of music genre. The Denons are more forward and somewhat analytical and are great at rock, they will delve into the detail. The DCD 800 NE would be the least I would look at against the cd6006.

The other thing with the Marantz is that they are far more forgiving with poor recordings, not so the higher end Denons, they will only emphasis that poor disc. I also own a Denon DCD 2500 which is in my headphone system and I absolutely love it.

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom