CD Player for Arcam AVR200

garyjd

Standard Member
Hi all,

Im a bit out of touch with CD players as my Rotel has served me well for the last 7 or 8 years. Its now time to look for a replacement to go with my Amp and hopefully some Monitor Audio speakers. Any advice on which brands to consider, particular models even better, Nad, Marantz etc etc would be great.

I'm looking to keep the budget to under £300, I don't mind ex display or demo if there's a saving to be had.

Thanks

dynamic turtle

Novice Member
I would've thought a Marantz 7001 would do the trick, or, if you shop around, a used CD17 MkII (going for £300-350 these days). The Rotel RCD1072 and Rega Planet 2000 would also do a sterling job.

What dvd player are you using? Might be better to get a good audio dvd player and kill two birds with one stone. There really isn't a great deal of difference between them at this price level, to be honest....

garyjd

Standard Member
I did originally consider a DVD player to do both, hence the arcam amp. However, I now own a Panasonic EX75 DVD recorder so probably best to invest in a dedicated CD player. Thanks for the suggestions.

booktrunk

Banned
Have a look around for secondhand / ex-demo Arcam players sound very good and would look good with the AVR200 :)

The CD73/72 should be available comfortably second hand within that price bracket even possibly a better one.

deaf cat

May be worth having a little search on DAC's, then you could to use your dvd player for cd's too.... seems they can improve things quite considerabley.

I think NOS has been mentioned before somewhere on here.

Don't know much about the subject I'm afraid, just thought I'd through in a different option.

dynamic turtle

Novice Member
Yep, an offboard dac is indeed another option. I recently bought a non-oversampling DAC from eBay. Eight TDA1543's in dual-differential config, burr-brown op-amps and a round-core power transformer, for under £140! God bless China!

Though having said that, I'm sure the onboard DAC in your AVR250 is fine. You could always just pipe the panasonic's digital output into it and spend the £300 on cd's...

garyjd

Standard Member
Maybe I'll see what it sounds like through the DVD player, have to admint I prefer the idea of a seperate unit though.

Top Bottom