CD Player for Arcam Alpha 10 on a budget

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by geneticaurora, Jul 16, 2018.

1. geneticaurora

geneticaurora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently purchased an Arcam Alpha 10 going to be paired with a pair of Monitor Audio RX6 Silvers my question is what second hand CD player to pair it with also speaker cable and interconnects. I am on a budget and need as much bang for my buck as possible. my budget is £250 absolute maximum.

I like my sound controlled, exciting, detailed and punchy but not over bright. Basically I want a moon on a stick lol

I have been out of the HiFi game far too long so I am a little lost

Looking at the following CD Players but definitely not set in stone

Arcam Alpha 9
    Arcam Alpha 8se
    Marantz CD63 KiSig
    Marantz CD6000 series or variations
    Sony XB930 (Although I did find it dull sounding with my old Arcam Alpha 9)

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,389
    I am a fan of Marantz players, I have two. There are some 6004s on flea bay or you could check the classifieds on here or put a wanted ad in.

As for speaker wire, that's a can of worms. Do you want those that are made from Unicorn horn or simple ones that will do exactly the same job.

3. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    There has been a recent thread on here about the Philips Stable Platter cd’s that got some good comments, think his was a pds703, I think the advice was to get one with the legato link system in it. Maybe worth adding to your search.

I had a Technics slp777 a whike back, built like the proverbial out house and seemed to make a good noise but probably a bit long in the tooth but a top of the tree model.

4. geneticaurora

geneticaurora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's interesting I am using a Technics SLPG 520A and i am gobsmacked by how capable it is after buying this amp. I am astonished. although i thought the Phillips CDPS didnt have very good OP amps I know the DACS were incredible so interested in your choice. is there a particular model that stands out I know the remotes are quite magical lol. Thank you for replying

5. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,389
    I've got the 6006 and it is a beauty, it only had a few months connected to my Denon 6200 and performed faultlessly. Now I just use it for the excellent headphone out. The 6006 is really a progression of the 6004, same DAC I believe. The 6006 is getting harder to find but is well worth the investment if you can stretch to it.

I would still be using it on the main system if I hadn't found a 8005 for silly money and couldn't walk away.

6. deantown

deantown
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,001
    I recently bought a second hand Marantz CD6005 with Marantz PM6005 amp and Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers, I wired the speakers to the amp with what is probably the cheapest wire you can buy, given to me by my nephew. I was impressed by the sound, which I kept really low to start with. But when I played Fleetwood Mac - Rumours from my iPod classic with the volume up to approx 11 o’clock, the sound was amazing it felt like I was at a live concert. I am over the moon with my purchases which are in Pristine condition.

7. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    I can't say enough good things about the Alpha 9 . It pretty much is the moon on a stick to my ears and short of winning the lottery I wouldn't have anything else. Keep in mind the Diva CD92 is identical inside but of course the Alpha 9 would be a better match looks wise. The CD23 is also the same thing only with some upgrades to the power supply but I doubt you'll get one of those within budget unless you are lucky.

8. geneticaurora

geneticaurora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would you fair that player to modern day players. I love vintage equipment purely because it lasts.

9. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    You can save money on interconnects and speaker cables, and then spend your money on a better CD player. You actually have two options for CD players, ... The quality options as suggested by Gibbsy etc al. That is the safe option..
    Or a cheaper to more expensive option... . Any cheap cd player or DVD player with a digital coaxial output ..(an RCA with an orange insert) can be fed into an external DAC . Depending on the luck of the draw or money , that can even be a better solution... As an example the new model Sony NW A45, which is a digital music player, has a DAC mode so for 120 quid you could have a combination of FM reciever, huge selection of digital music files at CD quality which are immediately accessible and for an additional 40 quid, a CD transport , all in a box no larger than a large matchbox .
    Even cheaper DACs are available, as are others at mouthwatering prices.

10. shinobi76

shinobi76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Arcam Aplha 10 paired with with Cambridge Audio Azur 651C (dual Woflson Dacs).
    I enjoy the same type of sound as you describe and this partners superbly with the Alpha 10.

11. geneticaurora

geneticaurora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update, managed to find a Marantz CD63 for £8 you read that right £8, it was faulty but managed to repair it may sell it and either choose one of the mentioned above. Improvement over my Technics SLPG520a which was a fine player very fun sounding but lacked clarity and detail compared to the Marantz.

12. geneticaurora

geneticaurora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to admit when I owned the 650a v2 i loved the sound but hated the amp might take a look. I found the cambridge extremely open it was a night and day sound over my old player. Thanks for the advice