Question CD Player for 1000 EUR

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Tomas200484, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Tomas200484

Tomas200484
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

My old Denon CD player is falling a pieces and soon I will need to repleace it. My budget will be more or less 1000 EUR.

My amp is Rotel RA 1570 so I was obviously thinking about matchin RCD 1570...
    The think is I listen mostly just CDs but time to time I'd like to listen internet radio/spotify(now thrue Minix Smart tv box connected via optical) so CD player with network abilities would be great. Unfortunately there isn't many of these on the market.

Any suggestions? Also it is quite hard for me to get to audition in any HiFi shop ...

Thank you,

Tomas

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    I don't know how many they are selling but the YamahaCDN-301 is a CD Player with Networking Capability.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-15935-yamaha-cdn301-networked-cd-player.aspx

I'm sure the Rotel RCD-12 and the RCD-1570 are great player, but CD only.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-10872-rotel-rcd12-cd-player.aspx

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-14138-rotel-rcd1570-cd-player.aspx

If you bought the Rotel RCD-12 that might leave you with enough money to buy a stand alone Network Streaming Device.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-10320-pioneer-n30-networked-audio-player-with-internet-radio.aspx

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-16455-marantz-na6005-networked-audio-player.aspx

Pushing your budget, but the Oppo 103D Universal Disc Player, has Network Streaming of Audio from local storage and from the Internet, as well as video Streaming from Internet Streaming Services like Netflix and similar.

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/oppo_bdp-103d.shtml

It plays any audio or video disc, has Network Streaming, and Video Streaming Services. Very highly rated, though a bit short of perfect. But when you consider the price of a Network Streaming Player, a BluRay Player, and a CD Player, the price is not that high.

Cambridge Audio also has a pretty good Universal Disc Player with Streaming -

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/cambridge-audio/azur-752bd/camb-752bd-blk

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/azur-752bd

Steve/bluewizard

3. Tomas200484

Tomas200484
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Steve, Thank you for answer. I was thinking about Oppo 103 or even 105 but never seen it in a real life and so far I have my old LG bluray player which works fine. Is there a big sonic difference against dedicated CD player? The think is that I do not want too many extra gear but on the other side I do not want to swith on tv to switch on internet radio... Not sure if I have expresed myself properly(prbl don't know what I want)

4. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    The oppo's cannot stream internet radio or music from streaming services like spotify per say but from its available services like youtube, you can do so. What is unfortunate is that most are U.S. Based and do not or did not work in the UK. That may have changed now. I don't use them so I do not know. However you can stream music /films stored on a nas or pc on your home network. This Feature I use a lot on my 105 to stream films.

Both are excellent universal players with the 105 having the better cd reproduction due to its dedicated and upgraded stereo output.

Since you don't say which denon cdp you had, I can't comment whether if either are as good or better than the denon but it is said that the 105 can equal some of the mid to higher end cdp's out there. The 103 is not too shabby in that department either which I would of thought would at the very least equal the LG.

However, since neither have internet radio, they are not suitable for the requirement whereas the Yamaha mentioned above is.

5. Tomas200484

Tomas200484
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Thank you for the answer ... Spotify paly is a must for me. I do not have NAS so I stream only or listen CDs. As CD player I have old Denon DCD 725 (15 years +) so I am looking for upgrade. Gyess i will have to go for separe thou.

6. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    I think that may be the way to go.
    I investigated whether the 105 had internet radio before i bought it but it wasn't a must as I already had a dedicated streamer so that service isn't an issue for me. It was more of a nice to have sort of thing

7. Tomas200484

Tomas200484
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    so far as the best solution looks like Rotel RCD 1570(or similar) + network player

8. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Hi Tomas,

With all the talk of network abilities and such, have you considered ditching the CD player altogether, ripping the CDs to network storage and getting a network audio player for streaming the ripped music files from your own network (ie not just for internet streaming services)?

1000 EUR should be enough for a decent one plus NAS for storing the music files.

John

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  9. Tomas200484

Tomas200484
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Cebolla,
    not at all. I do not want to give up CD's and I don't belive it would be the same. I like streaming, yes ... to discover new music and that's all. But why to ditch CDs? If I would want a new album I would have to buy a CD anyway, than to rip it, upload it on NAS and look for it on Nas. I am might be oldschool but CDs are the best.

10. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Fair enough, though it's a shame you'll miss out on the potential, benefits of quickly finding the required album in your collection, building any number of playlists from them, playing higher than CD quality resolution music file internet purchase downloads, etc, all done from the comfort of your listening position.

Of course you do have the initial tedious pain of batch ripping a large CD collection. However, once done there really is no issue with ripping any new CDs that you purchase later, as each CD shouldn't take more than a few minutes to rip and store.

If you are worried about any sound quality issues you can get some idea by using a computer and music player application for playback with some of your ripped CD music or even some free test hi-res downloads, if you haven't tried this already. You have a USB audio input (for connecting to computers) on your Rotel RA 1570 so should be relatively easy to setup for a trial.

11. Tomas200484

Tomas200484
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I apologize if it sounded offenzive .. just didn't express myself well enough. You have some good points especialy with hi-res files but for me it is no problem to go and look for CD and I am kinda minimalist when it come to listening music. Just plag and play, no need ot wait to boot NAS, connect app on mobile and search in a list. It could be fine time to time but I prefer direct/faster approach.

12. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Well i never...the audacity, the sacrilege....that's bordering on blaspheming. OFF WITH HIS HEAD!! :D:D

Jokes aside, I agree with both arguments. CD's take up space and can become almost like ornaments paying tribute to bygone days if rarely used. If you already have a nas and hardly play cd's, then it does make some sense to rip them and the put the cd's in the loft.

(Tomas - the NAS is always on. Very quite and low powered. You won't know it there unless it's the dead of night where you could even hear a mouse creep around).

However, if you have a substantial size library and always in there and no nas, then to start that process, is long and laborious one. And yes, to buy a cd only to rip it straight to nas defeats the object especially if you prefer the physical cd. You could also most likely download it but the quality may not be all that. Heck, some cd's are terrible as well.

Though I have already started some time ago (ongoing process) ripping them to a NAS, I wouldn't ditch my cd's for love or money. The rest will get done when i get the time, but some will always be readily available. I like to read the pamphlets and sometimes it easier and quicker to find the cd, plonk it in and press play

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  13. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    Let me point out an important Ownership issue with Downloads vs CD. If you play for and download a file, you don't own it. You can buy, sell, or trade it. What you have done is in effect LEASED the file for the duration of your lifetime.

However, if you buy a CD or other physical media, you do own it. That is, while you don't own the Rights in any sense, you do own that one physical copy. You can buy, sell, trade, or pass it down to your children and grandchildren. Not so with pure digital files.

Also, since I don't completely trust non-physical formats, I prefer to be able to hold the disc in my hand and to actually own it. From the Disc, I can Rip personal use copies, though last I read, Europe is trying to stop people from Ripping their CDs.

As to a CD with Streaming, there is only one that I know. Though the Oppo BluRay Universal Disc player is another. Beyond that, you need separate CD and Streaming.

The lowest cost Streaming device would be this one from QED -

QED uPlay Wireless Music Streamers- £150 -

Superfi - QED uPlay Stream Wireless Music Streamer

Beyond that Network Streaming gets pretty expensive -

Superfi - Denon DNPF109 Networked Audio Player with Internet Radio

Superfi - Pioneer N30 Networked Audio Player with Internet Radio

Superfi - Marantz NA6005 Networked Audio Player

Superfi - Pioneer N50A Networked Music Server

Though the basic SONOS CONNECT is reasonably priced (£270)-

Sonos CONNECT

Superfi - Sonos Connect (Zoneplayer ZP90)

CONNECT - WiFi Stereo Receiver Adapter | Sonos

The SONOS Connect and a good general purpose CD Player should keep you pretty close to budget -

Denon DCD-720AE

Marantz CD6005

Yamaha CDS700

Onkyo C-7070

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard