1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD player advice needed, thanks

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by HJMORGSTEW, Aug 26, 2005.

1. HJMORGSTEW

HJMORGSTEW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my current system includes a NAD C370 amp and B&W DM602 S3 speakers, plus a philips 723 cd player.
    I am looking to upgrade and spend 250-300 on a cd player, which as you can imagine I am in need of.
    I was wondering which would be a good option, and just how much difference it will make?
    Thanks a lot in advance, Henry

2. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    A good partner for your C370 would be the C542 by NAD. Excellent machine that does everything right. Also consider the Cambridge Audio 540C/640C CD players. Slightly leaner sound, but try audition and see which one grabs you!

3. HJMORGSTEW

HJMORGSTEW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks, how about the arcam CD73T player?
    Slightly more expensive but oh well...
    Also will the difference in sound over my current setup be equal to that of a new amp or speakers, or more similar to the difference heard when upgrading something fairly minor like speaker cable?

4. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Alternatively you could look at adding an external Dac (IIRC, the 723 has a digital output?) You'd have lots of choice if you bought secondhand for a couple of hundred.

I've noticed definite differences in changing CD player/DAC, I couldn't even hear differences between the different 'premium' speaker cables I've tried. Not as dramatic as changing speakers, but upgrading to a better player or Dac can give for example more bass, slightly more detail etc... Actually, with my current Dac you can *see* a difference between my old CD player - because there's more bass, on some tracks you actually see the bass units on the speakers move with the Dac whereas you don't with just the CDP :)

Jon

5. HJMORGSTEW

HJMORGSTEW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, the same goes for me.
    talk of upgrading to 'premium' cable annoys me as i tried it and it made zero difference.
    i was just looking for reassurance that a change of CD player wouldnt be the same, hence me having wasted over £300.

6. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sure. I should say that some people don't hear a (significant) difference between CD players/Dacs, so it may be worth listening to a couple before you buy - if buying new, it's definitely worth demo-ing b4 you shell out, anyway. But yeah, to my ears adding an ext dac made a worthwhile upgrade.

Jon

7. audioexcellence

audioexcellence
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi if you want a really good cd player rhave a look at some older player from meridain ,roksan etc you can buy a cd player that was £1000 ten years ago maybe a bit older but these players will sound better than anything out their now for £250 to about £600 roksan attessa is a good cd player keep your eyes peeld for a bargian

kev

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Recommend the DAC route. But don't expect dramatic change. There will be a change but it will most probably be subtle. The thing is a subtle change in source can really make the rest of the system shine.

Never really been able to tell the difference between £600ish CDP's. They really do sound the same..... I'd be a bit wary of buying a 10 year old CDP purely because mechanisms do wear out.

9. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The advantage of buying a standalone DAC secondhand is that they don't have moving parts like the drive mechanisms in CD players - they are therefore, at least in theory, rather less likely to break than a CDP. You could then either buy a new transport (DVD player, say) or could probably find a well-built secondhand one that'd be cheap enough you wouldn't be too upset if it broke ;)

You can get good deals on secondhand CD-players, but they are more likely to break down then other bits of hifi (the drive mechanisms, lasers etc. can go). On the other hand, some (esp the well built, more expensive ones) *can*, but may not, last a long time. Basically, you pays your money and you takes your choice...

Jon

10. HJMORGSTEW

HJMORGSTEW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Glad you like what you got mate. Not sure what 'index' means - iirc, some jazz/classical CDs use 'index' to divide up very long tracks into smaller chunks, but I could well be wrong/have misremembered.

Jon

12. beaNN

beaNN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive heard that arcam, damn good player.