1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Player £300 instead of £1000+

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by deaf cat, Feb 27, 2005.

1. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hiya,

Wondered if anyone else had heard of anything similar.....

Having a chat in the pub one night and it came up that someone had a Marantz or a Denon - I can't remember which - CD player (£200-£300), connected to their amp with a £400 interconnect. There next CD player cost well over £1000, which gave a reasonable sound improvement. If I could remember I would probably go for one of the above mentioned £200-£300 cd players.

Have you heard or experienced any such set up?

Look forward to hearing any experiences.......

Cheers

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I'm not sure what your asking really... but IMO there isnt £700 worth of difference between a £300 player and a £1000 player, however, there will be people who disagree with me, but for the most part the differences are subtle.

And you certainly do not need a £400 interconnect to enjoy it ;)

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    It all depends on the rest of the system. With a say £400 amp, the difference between the two CDP's will be small, with a better amp the difference should be higher.

In HiFi, there are rarely night and day differences but this does not mean they are all subtle

4. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you go second hand, you get loads more value for your money, and who knows, you might get close to the £1000 sound figure for half the money. It's definitely worth it then!

5. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'd say that you should definitely go second hand but also beware of the small difference between source components at this price range. IMO At this sort of price range you are far better spending the money on the amp/speakers and simply getting a cd player which a) looks good b) has the functionality you want c) is from a reputable company

Just my opinions :)
    Jimmy

6. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No frikkin way I'd spend £400 on IC for a £300 CDP.

7. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You also need a decent set of speakers. For a £1000 player i would go for £3000-4000 on speakers. Also if your interconnect is cheap and useless then you will not realise the full potential of the player.

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    For what its worth i changed my nad 541i cdp for the roksan caspian m series -1 cdp and did notice a big difference, much tighter bass and much smoother sound with more detail, maybe it does matter what the cdp connects to but iam very happy with the caspian upgrade.
    Cheers Gonzo.

9. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Eddy Boy,
    Why would you spend £3000-£4000 on speakers with a front end worth £1000? :confused:

Is the speaker going to retrieve detail that the cd player didnt? Err, no, so whats the point?

IMO, if you've got a good £1k cd player then there is a range of good speakers between £1000 and £2000 that could easily fit the bill depending on requirements.

All IMO of course! ;)

10. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I agree dude, there is :

No frikkin way I'd spend £4 on IC for a £300 CDP. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I find it ludicrous myself but as PB will tell you, Ive seen £600 ICS being slotted onto £300 CDPs and being hailed as turning a £300 CDP into a £1000 machine. :eek:

Mental illness IMHO of course, but an illusionary illness none the less.

11. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes,that amount on an I/C is ludicrus on a £300 CD player.I also think £1000cd player with £3000 speakers is a fine idea too,even though I prefer the balanced approach,when it comes to CD playbach you can only take it so far,with speakers you can go on for ever price wise,as long as the amps can drive them,and the source is good enough.

12. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be extremely cautious in buying a 2nd hand CD player: they are fragile things at the best of times, even more so when there's no warranty.

Also, a budget Sony CD player with Van den Hul interconnects has outlasted in quality and sound £1000+ CD players in my system...audition CD players wisely, price tag means next to nothing in that particular land

13. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Ah that old chestnut! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :thumbsup:

My interconnect was something like £3 IIRC. Sounds ok to me. :thumbsup:

14. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Agree.

I have no problems with buying second hand speakers or amps, but CD and DVD players are a big no for me. This also includes demo's and open boxes.

15. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    [/COLOR]
    OK so if you were to spend £3 - 4k on speakers :smashin: and a decent amount on an amp :smashin: do you think there may be the odd one or two £300 - £400 CD players kicking around somewhere in someones range that if connected with a decent IC would sound as good as a far more expensive CD player. Maybe using some of the internal components of the more expensive kit and cutting product cost in other ways..........
    Just wondering if what I was told could be duplicated.

As said, makes sense I think to buy CD and DVD players new but then you never know there must be some bargins to be had.

What about buying ICS 2nd hand - I suppose you could not really go wrong unless its damaged.....

Those people who like spending £3 on ICS and like the sound of them I wish my ears likes them too!!!

:)

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While Interconnects can play a role in adding to the quality of a system i don't think spending £400 on an IC with a £200 - £300 CD player will make any difference apart from wasteing you're money, I would use that money wisely elsewhere ie speakers or Amp.

Cheers

17. L-J-T

L-J-T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These hypothetical schemes of buying a hotch-potch of products with a wish that it will work well because someone else thinks it might have is crazy mentality. Start with your needs and budget and then take advice on the best way to get there. If for example you have 2 grand to spend and want best sound, few features, get down to your local decent dealer and see what they have. I reckon they're highly unlikely to punt you a 300 quid CD player with a funky cryogenically frozen mega-nine linear carbon copper bunkum cable, just for the hell of it. Then recommend hooking up through a 200 quid amp to an 800 quid pair of speakers. If you're fascinated by the concept of going against the grain and throwing money at an imbalanced "hope for the best system", carry on. For my money, I want to sit and enjoy music night after night and my system does that very well. Thanks to decent dealer advice and some ex-dem/second-hand (dealer sourced) bargains!
    :hiya:

18. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, heres the laughing stock :suicide: its actaully a £600rrp IC into a £500rrp player. Anywayz, it made a big difference to me and it was my money abd i thought it was money well spent. Unless you were there at the time CJ then stop using it as an example of your so called illusionary crap. I was actually quite insulted by your message in this thread. I think the fact that i havent posted on hifi related forums for god knows how long reflects how happy i am with my system? Just to rub more salt in the wound i got a new QED signature coaxial cable this month and it improved my AV sound considerably-in fact all my non av fanatic friends asked if i got sumfin new like an amp or dvd player,cos the sound was so much more alive and 3 dimensional now should i blind fold them when they watch the movie and carry out some cable changing just to keep you happy? I think not. I dont tend to tell them ive bought a new cable as it is rather geeky to non hifi/av fans. But my point is, fair enough if you dont believe me but heres no need to make fun and ridicule me besides i didnt pay anywhere as much for the cables,£600 is waaaay too steep and i would never pay that for a piece of cable but for what price i got it for and the improvement i found it to have on my hifi i was happy to purchase it. If i really am the "make believe" kind of person then i would have bought a 1k cd player or amp ages ago but the fact hat they didnt impress me meant that i didnt bother.

Zoo aka ultra

19. L-J-T

L-J-T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zoolander -

All credit to you that you came across an upgrade which delivered worthwhile "bang per buck". As a matter of interest, how did you come across the concept of using that cable? Was it a recommendation from somebody?

LJT

20. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Cables are the nearest thing to black magic still allowed in the 21st century.

Try Flashback cables. Excellent quality, excellent service & excellent prices.

Anybody who thinks a fancy cable lifts your system to a new level should get somebody to do a blind swap with your supplied liquorice-allsorts cable. Demand to have a full refund from the dealer if you return it as-new the next day. You will! He won't! :D

Anybody thinking of spending more on speakers than the rest of the kit put together is probably a pre-pubescent, dislexic teenager, with no audio experience beyond reading one womens' magazine article at Smiths, on a rainy wednesday morning, while bunking off junior school. :rolleyes:

Regards
    Nimby

21. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm sure you said something there Nimby, I just can't work out what it was :D

BTW, when I first bought my Electras they were close to being more than the rest of the kit connected to them :p

IMO, CDPs make very little difference once you get above the very poor ones. The only CDPs that I've heard stand out as being different (note that word is different, not better) in a way that is immediately apparent is Naim, the CDS3 anyway.

As for cables, I believe in good quality, which typically means about £10-£20 from bluejeanscable. Every time a dealer has tried to impress me with a new cable I've failed to hear the difference.

22. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Ultra, Zoo or whoever. The time you did your £600 IC test it was into a £300 CDP IIRC, daft as brush IMO but hey thats not the point, the point was is and always will be (in the numerous posts made at the time you and Rozz chose to ingore) that you would not verify or answer a simple question : namley the "definately not imagined" differences could be heard under blind conditions, this criteria is what I use for cable testing - thus your opinions were questioned and always will be. Take that how you want. I think its a good situation to highlight how daft some cable fanatics take wires ie a £600 ICs can be used on a £300 or even a £600 CDP - no matter what you paid for it - its plain crazy to me - a £3 IC does the same job. And BTW if you can hear those non imagined differences there are lot of prizes awaiting you and your "real" responses.

ATB.

23. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    First, let me say, it is not something I would do. Provided that the cable has good termination and shielding, I have yet to hear any discenable difference between them.

Secondly, if someone else can, then "well-done" to them. They don't have to justify the logic or reasoning behind it. It is there money, and if they find enjoyment from the cable, then I am very happy for them.

24. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As long as they're happy with their kit, what does it matter to you if they've spent their cash on something that you wouldn't. Hi-fi is so subjective anyway.

25. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Harry may I say I agree totally with your views above, properly shielded cable (sat tv 75ohm coaxial) is available from DIY outlets for 40p a metre upwards, plugs can be as fancy as anything out there (you can buy lockable WBTS clones for £20 for example). But properly terminated ie no loose conenctions or solder joints, then they all sound the same to me as well. Even though Im a cable sceptic, I would suggest anyone reading this to check out Mark Grants Anlg ICs, £20 IIRC, properly specced cable, properly connected RCAs, and cheap comapred to dealer bought ICs. In fact I would love to hear anyones ideas as to why their current ICs are technically better than those.

Another interesting thing to do (if your interested in dealer bought ICs) is to take the plugs off them, just to inspect the cable spec, ie shielding solder, centre conductor solder. Funny thing is they all look identical – ie coaxial core with PTFE covering and soldered to a centre pin, braided shield with solder. Funny that. This is what drove me towards DIY.

26. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am not strong enough to enter into the debate. It is one of the topics that polarises the community.

I have often thought of doing something like this, but I have never gotten around to it. Then again, I am happy with my IC’s, and I have more than enough…..

Off topic I know, but as we are talking about tweaks, I would be interested if anyone has tried this (and I am not having a ‘go’ at cable tweakers):

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina27.htm

And if they could explain to me how it works?

27. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey L-J-T basically i first heard the cable when my friend Rory came round with his SAT fix cd player. He just bought the cable along for the hell of it. I wernt expecting much from it as i didnt think cables made much difference and from past experience they certainly didnt. We did A/B testing between his cdp and my cd6000Ki and my marantz got blown away by his modded sat fix but it does cos 3x as much+had up graded mains cable too. My cdp was connected via my bullet'd VdH D102's and his was hooked up with these Black Rhodium Oratoria's. Just before he left we thought we'd see if the 600quid cable would show any improvements when plugged into my 500quid cd player for a laugh, we wernt expecting much as the cd6000Ki sounded so flat and undynamic when compared to the SAT. To our surprise it improved things greatly and we even went back to using the SAT just to check if our ears were decieving us. Compared to before the SAT didnt sound that much better anymore which is remarkable as it costs so much more and has been modded. We hooked the SAT up with the VdH and it lost alot of its sparkle and the same flat tonal character was present. The improvements that the black rhodium bought were extended highs which was very apparant with Katie Melua's learnin the blues track and much tighter bass. We couldnt believe a cable could actually alter the bass but it was definately alot tighter.
    Im not gona re start this debate with CJross as i think he really needs to get a life and stop posting so much and on a daily basis on hifi forums. Ive been so happy with the sound of my system i just come on forums once in a while to have a read. CJ is a reknown hifi preacher and has been banned from 1 of my regular forums ofr being so so dont disagree with him or he'll flame you!
    :lesson:

Zoo

28. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Zoo, old bean a couple of things to clear up with you, funny to see you telling me to get a life because I post on audio forums when you have just done so yourself. And should I stop posting my opinion because you don’t agree with it ? I think not. Finally point of order m’lawd :

I left the forum you mention because of a cable believing clique that would gang-up en-masse at any dissent or questioning of their opinion, ie cable scepticism or disagreeing how “crap” my cables were, this made me a nice target of continual tag team attacks, if you have the time send Michael a PM about my “banning” before you post ill informed misinformation on the net. You are wrong. I asked for my memebrship to be deleted from said forum - when you feel like apologising please post here. Ive never been banned from any forum FYI.

29. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I'm just wondering how one gets to the conclusion that someone who posts every day on a hifi forum somehow is unhappy with their system :confused:

30. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    You should be! :D Stirrer!

Only kidding........................ ;)

I was wondering that too! :confused: