1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Playback: FMJ DV27a OR Diva CD92T

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Mr THX, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Evening

I was wanting to know which would be best for CD playback the 27a or the 92 ??? Has anyone got experience of both these players - or would like to speculate the outcome ;)

Any advice guys would be much appreciated...........

2. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own both. I haven't done a lot of comparative listening but my early impression is that the CD92T is a little clearer and more 'open' sounding. I'm keeping the CD92T for CD replay. The DV27A sounds pretty good with DVD audio discs - but there don't seem to be an awful lot of those around at the moment.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    There are loads of DVD-A discs about. Depends on how open minded you are about what type of music you listen to. Try here for starters, there are 326 titles in the popular music section and 140 titles in the classical music section, that's around about £5000 worth.

Amazon Popular Music Bestselling DVD-A Discs

Amazon Classical Music Bestselling DVD-A Discs

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should be added that not all DVD-A's are equal. Some have a truly awful mix and often are worse than standard red book versions of the same album. The majority are poor with only a few showing what DVD-A is capable of...................................unfirtunately the same is true of SACD

John

5. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Sounds a bit of a sweeping statement .......what do you base your statement on. ??

6. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr THX - I've been having a further listen to the two players side by side with identical interconnects and with humble CD there isn't a lot in it. I suppose there are usablility issues - the CD92T supports CD text, the DV27A doesn't but plays movies quite well!

Why do you ask?

Crusty - thanks for the links, I have looked at the Amazon DVDA catalogue. Its not that I'm not open-minded about music but If I walk down Oxford St. I'd have several thousand CD titles to choose from compared to the 500 or so at Amazon. Also look at the top 3 popular music bestsellers - Tubular Bells, Queen, Zappa. Is that an open-minded selection or just a tiny bit conservative?

7. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Looking at upgrading................

I'm currently running a HTPC, Video into plasma / Audio into processor+amp.
    Basically as good as the HTPC is for picture and to be honest music is pretty good (upsampled in Foobar to 96Hz output through a M Audio 24/96 (Spdif) to Tag AV32r-bp192 & Parasound Amp)

But basically there’s far too much maintenance needed to keep the machine running as it should, plus the hassle of dropping films and albums onto the Hard Drive. Other down side is if the wife or kids want a movies or music then there basically knackered (Unless I'm at home)

So the options are:

1. Separate DVD Player and CD Player.

2. All in one option but with a high level of Audio quality.

Either option would call for the picture output to be exemplary, don't need HDMI or DVI but component out & Prog Scan is a must, bonus if the picture is better than the 1:1 pixel matched output I was getting previous.............

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really on the DVD-A's that I own, very few would I recommend buying

Edit: I would also say that it is generally acknowledged that the effort hasn't been put in to the DVD-A releases that the new format deseves. Rehashes of old albums isn't enough to make them truely satisfiying to listen to. Gimmicky rear channel efforts does nothing for the majority of albums

9. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have thought then that the DV27A would be a good solution for you. It will certainly be a lot more family friendly than your current set-up!
    The difference in CD replay between the two players is probably not enough to convince me to buy the CD92T - I happened to own mine already but if I'd got the DV27A first then I would have stuck with that alone - or looked at pricier players...

10. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Agree with you fully there Sticker :thumbsup: after owning a Denon 3800 a couple of years ago I dipped my toe (so to speak) into DVD-A and to be honest must have dropped lucky. I bought a couple of REM albums and Fleetwood Mac -Rumours :blush: it was popular at the time. The REM albums I think have a very good mix on them and the high resolution 2 channel is well above standard.
    On the down side, I bought into the technology (even though as you say the majority of stuff was back catolouge) hoping that in time the releases would steadly come more up to date............ unfortunatley I don't think that has happened quick enough. I still beleive if a few current releases came out on DVD-A more people would by them even if only for high resolution 2 channel listening.

Cheers for that SMCC.