1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD playback - DVD vs CD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jameskeane, May 10, 2005.

1. Jameskeane

Jameskeane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, no doubt this has been discussed a million times before, maybe someone could link to me to a thread that i couldn't find.

I have always bought dedicated cd and dvd players, like many standard consumers i thought seperates would do the job better.

I am wondering if the cd playback from a DVD player can match a dedicated cd player. I am looking at the pioneer DV575 from richer. I know this is an old player, but its not for me its for my mum, and she wants a thin, silver model, and the less boxes under the TV the better. Any thoughts?

TIA,

cheers,
    James

:lease: :lease:

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    a dedicated machine will sound far better if it is being used on a decent hifi setup and not a av setup

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    You could always add a DAC to spruce things up!

4. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would stick with seperates. I had this dilema myself and bought a hi-end cd player. Such a difference. Still looking for a dvd player now. I just hate all this having to update firmware. The darn thing should turn up and work without any of this. I don't mind on my computer but not on hardware

5. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Pio 575 for CD at the moment due to a lack of space (replacing an old Cambridge Audio CD4).

The 575 (100 quid now) comes nowhere near the CD4 (150 quid about 10 years ago). Although it's not as bad as I first thought, sound is equivalent to a low/mid priced all in one.

It's certainly usable, but if she has spent any time listening to a proper CD seperate then the difference will be obvious (the bass can get muddy and kind of indistinct).

6. Rogers

Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    OK seriously, one of the main reasons that I bought the Yam-2500 is because they are supposed to be really good with music in the pure direct mode. I want to get the NAD 542 cdp to use with the Yam.

Is it really possible that a separate amp for stereo purposes would make that much of a difference from the Yamaha?

If so then I would seriously consider it, as I DO SO love my music.

cheers

7. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Have a look at the Limit dvda900se on play.com, I think it's currently selling at an amazing £80. It's audio side has been tuned by Cyrus and it as good if not better than many CD players. Run a search on this and you will see that this subject and how good a machine this really is.

I've had one for just over a year and I find it to be an excellent machine for the £200 I paid and at £80 it's a steal!

8. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    in what price bracket, some may ask.......

If your Mum has no great expectations on music reproduction, and is somewhat of a casual listener, I am sure she will be more than happy with the solution presented by a 575. However, if she is quite critical of music reproduction and is more likely to fall towards the higher fidelity crowd, then a dedicated CD player is more likely going to satisfy - start by looking at what she listens to CD's on now, and go from there.

9. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Antpink

You would like to think that a high end hifi company like Cyrus wouldn't put there name to a product that is boasting excellent CD playback to be only as good as a budget players.

10. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about a digital connection between the player and the amplifier? Maybe somebody can enlighten me why a separate CD player would ever produce a better <b>digital</b> output than any low-priced dvd player with a <b>digital</b> output?
    CD media is a basically a recorded bitstream and a player with a digital output just passes it through, without touching it (assuming you're not going to use any possible DSP effects of the player). In the audio quality department with digital connections, there is basically no difference between 50 and 10,000 dollars device. Now, there <b>are</b> differences in mechanical parts, extra features, compatibility with different CD medias, etc. but we are just talking about the pure audio quality parameter, right?