CD playback: digital v analogue output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BAD Dave, Nov 6, 2003.

1. BAD Dave

BAD Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am considering changing my old Toshiba SD210E DVD player for a Pioneer 565. I will probably keep my Marantz CD player hooked up to my Yamaha DSP A5 amp for stereo music CD replay.

A few questions:
    1. My CD player has analogue (phono pair) & digital (coaxial)output to the amp. Which would you expect to give better quality in stereo?
    Am I right in thinking that digital output from CD player will be decoded by the amp's DAC's whilst analogue output is decoded by the player's own DAC?
    I would expect the Marantz CD player using analogue output to sound better than CD or DVD player using digital. Right?? or Wrong??? (I plan to try it out, but would appreciate comments anyway)

2. If both the digital & analogue outputs from the CD player are connected to the amp, which is default?

3. Will the Pioneer 565 be any better than my Toshiba 210 in terms of picture quality & sound quality? Has anyone upgraded Tosh 210 to Pioneer 565?

4. Is 565 any good with straight stereo replay? Is it good enough to make the Marantz CD player redundant?

5. Is Pioneer 565 JPEG viewer reliable? Can it navigate folders?

So many questions! Thanks in advance

2. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, Can't answer all of your questions, but I connected my Technics CD player to my Pioneer 2011 amp by an optical digital connection, and it sounded terrible. Went back to analogue standard phono cables and sound was excellent.
    I know it's normally individual preferences, but a tone deaf person could tell the difference in this case.
    I have also connected my Sky+ box to the amp with both optical digital and analogue phono leads. In my opinion, the 3 Sky Movie channels, which transmit in Dolby are best using the digital connection, but most other channels sound better using the analogue connection and allowing the amp to use the Neo:6 decoder to output to my 7 KEF eggs.
    Hope this helps.
    Jim

3. BAD Dave

BAD Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I answered my own question 1 last night.

CD playback via analogue output is marginally better than
    CD playback via digital output (coaxial) is marginally better than
    DVD playback via digital output (coaxial).
    i didn't try DVD playback via analogue output.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep, that is correct.

There is no right or wrong in general, it depends on the equipment being used.

I tried and tested a Marantz CDP against my Yamaha DVD and we (my audiophile friend and me) could hardly tell a difference, a very, very slight advantage for the Marantz with female voices of audiophile recordings. Wouldn't justify buying a seperate CDP in my book though - but if you have one already ...

My Yamaha chooses coaxial over optical over analog. Though you can 'force' it, i.e. switch it manually. Or use different inputs at the amp (e.g. CD for digital and Tuner for analog).

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    On my Denon 3802 I have to set the DVD digital input to either coax or optical in the setup menu.
    Once that was done every time I set the 3802 to DVD it revert to the last setting used for that input ie analogue or coax.

I think amps/receivers will all do things slightly different depending on the make and/or model.

Mark.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Bad Dave

sorry for the delay but was busy at the Event 11

I think you have found the answer!

Receiver dependent though you can normally adjust this

210 was a great player (and still is actually), I don't expect huge differences in piccy quality, just small ones. Sound is likely to be a bit better and you have all those other audio modes to play with

Pioneer have come out with a great player with most of the right compromises but I wouldn't rush out to sell your Marantz just yet, it still is essentially a cheap DVD player.
    whats JPEG ;) Sorry not my field but MP3 / JPEG features on DVD players are often not too flexible :)

7. BAD Dave

BAD Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Beekeeper. I knew you would be able to help.
    I did a comparison of my own and found audio quality differences to be very subtle, but
    CD analogue > CD digital > DVD digital.
    No surprise really.

If Pioneer 565's CD playback is any better than Toshiba 210 then I it will probably sound just as good as my Marantz CD player!

If the Pioneer does it all well enough then I can move the Toshiba 210 & Marantz CD player to perform duties elsewhere in the house.

I found the info about JPEG viewer in a PDF helpfile on Pioneer.co.uk.

I now just need to finish convincing the wife that we really do need a new DVD player.

Thanks, beekeper and everyone else.