1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD or Turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Pulsar, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello.

This is my first post on this forum.

I have recently purchased a Rotel RCD 02 CD player, a Rotel RAA 01 amp and some dynaudio audience 42's main speakers. I have a small record collection and a large CD collection. When I purchased my new equipment the guy in the Hi-fi store was telling me about how good Turntables were. By this he meant that pound for pound turntables produced a 'better' sound. He explained the physics behind this claim, and it seemed to make sense. Is this true? I understand that this is very personal, but I appreciate all views on the matter. If I wanted to get a 'decent' record deck, would the Pro-ject Debut II fit well with the rest of my stuff, or should I look a bit higher?

All replies appreciated

Rob

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    The difference between a Turntable and CD player is more don't to one being "different" to the other more than being better. My personal feeling is that you need to listen to the same recording on both CD and record and only in that way can you decide which you prefer. Remember also that CDs are more convinient and more resiliant to damage.

You realise don't you that your Rotel RA01 doesn't have a phono input so you'd also need a phono pre-amp.

As I said on your post RE DVD players ... you need to decide what your budget is ... the Pro-ject Debut II is reguared as a good record player ... but then so is a Linn LP12 (I hope I got that right) - but is of course much more expensive. If you're looking at the budget end then I've heard good things of the Rega Planar range and recently saw one and it is very well built.

Victoria

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello again:D

I will do what you say and try the same recording on the two different formats. As far as I know, the Rotel has a moving magnet phono stage.

Cheers

Rob

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'd not look lower than the Rega P2 personally. They are built to last, whereas the cheaper Project aren't in comparision. Put a decnt cartridge on a P2 and you'll be pretty happy.

Linn LP12's start from around £2,200, to around £6,000 for the top spec model.

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    So it does ... I assumed it didn't have cause my new RA1060 doesn't ... not that I actually use it.

That was kinda my point ... that it's difficult to offer any recomendations about what someone should buy without knowing how much they're prepared to spend. If someone wants the best from their turntable ... and can afford it ... then maybe they should buy a Linn LP12 ... if they just want a turntable to play the occasional record that they can't get on CD ... then the Project or Rega would be more appropriate for them.

Right ... I'm going to shut up now and stop pretending I know what I'm talking about :)

Victoria

edited for formatting

6. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    HELLO VICTORIA.

MY BUDGET WOULD BE QUITE SMALL, MAYBE UP TO £200, AS I WOULD ONLY BE EXPERIMENTING WITH VINYL. MY QUESTION PERHAPS WASN'T WORDED VERY WELL IN THE FIRST PLACE. I WANTED TO KNOW IF A BUDGET RECORD DECK WOULD GIVE GOOD RESULTS, AND IF THE SOUND QUALITY COMPARES TO THE ROTEL CD PLAYER OR ANY £400 EQUIVELANT. I DO UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS A DIFFERENT SOUND, BUT QUALITY CAN STILL BE MEASURED.

CHEERS

ROB

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Definately worth listening to a Rega P2 then. If your amp has a phono stage built in then all you'll need is a cartridge. We used to chuck them in at work, only a basic Audio Technica, £20ish sorta value, but it's a good starter.

8. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    HI RETRO.

I WILL GIVE THAT LOOK. I HAVE JOINED THE YAHOO GROUP, AND WANTED TO DO THE CHAT THIS EVENING, BUT THE CRAPPY WORK COMPUTERS WON'T LET ME :-(

CHEERS

ROB

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you get Yahoo Messenger then you should be able to get in through that.

It's the only way I can get into the chat room.

Click on me and try join in chat room and you should magic there!

10. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    HI RETRO

UNFORTUNATELY IT IS BLOCKED BY THIS **** MODERATOR THING.

ROB

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Firewall problems?

12. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Just try and audition any turntables you can on your budget - the Rega and Project ranges are about your only bet anyway without looking at the second-hand market. Any of these decks partnered with a reasonable cartridge should give good results from your record collection.

Personally, I can't agree that vinyl just 'sounds different' to CD. A good vinyl pressing of a good recording played on a good deck will (to my ears) sound better than any CD player. I've heard a Wadia CD player costing silly amounts of money that has been completely blown out of the water by a high-end record deck. But there are a lot of variables here and it's a highly subjective thing.... Book an audition at your local hi-fi store, take some of your own records and CDs along and see how it sounds to YOU. Ideally, see if you can take some of your existing hi-fi too so you can make a good comparison.

Good luck.:)

13. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will have a listen as you said.

Cheers

Rob

14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Out of interest ... what do you count as a "good" deck. My vinyl listening is very limited and have only heard cheepish decks. To be honest I'm not planning to go (back) to vinyl as (1) I have hardly any and (2) I find CDs so convinent. I'm just curious what you were comparing the Wadia CD player to. Also have you heard any of the high end SACD players - with their increased resolution I wonder if they are better than a CD?

Victoria

15. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have a Pro-ject Debut II and compared to the Sony deck I had before it, it's ten times better (and it cost the same money aswell - £95.00. It was a special deal a few months back).

I have a lot more cds than vinyl but I can't make myself get rid of the vinyl and replace them with cds.

I find if you have a good pressing of a vinyl album and I listen to it on my Pro-ject it sounds as good as a cd (ofcoarse you still get the odd crackle every so often, but that's just part of listening to vinyl).

My system (a little old now, but I still enjoy it, which is the important bit):

Arcam alpha 8 cd player
    Arcam 8R amp
    Arcam 8P power amp
    Monitor Audio 703PMC speakers

16. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Ah the age old CD or TT debate, this pops up here every few months, well Im another who thinks they offer differing presentation, each favours certain types of music and one is not better than the other IMHO (I can see why there are supporters for each type). As for your request I would check out the Project Debut (I bought one for a friend and was very impressed) or slightly upmarket from there look at the RPM4 a bargian deck when you consider the quality of arm etc included in the sale. Well someone has to offer another option to the highly regarded P2/P3 brigade :) :) :)

Some other thread you may like :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42296

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49745

HTHs

17. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    CJROSS,

Thanks for your input. My friens purchased a Project Debut yesterday, so I plan on having a play with that today :D

Cheers

Rob

18. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well heres my tuppence worth, when comparing CD to vinyl, remember that somes CDs are poor and some LPs too. There are some great pressings out there in both CDand LP, I remeber doing some comparisons between a Lp against CD and though that the LP was better but quite frankly the transfer to CD was just poor ( Jenifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat.
    Lps are just very tactile and nice to tuch n stuff. I have to say had my LP12 for 20 years now and heas given years of pleasure, better decks out there now and better looking.
    CD is still great for what it does but obviously as old hat as LPs now.
    Get what you can afford, consider second hand and enjoy the vinyl, pops and all, why throw stuff out, have another toy to play with.
    Bear in mine LPdeks are far more sucetable to placement on and near stuff, a good deck can sound medeocre on and in the wrong place, I'm not avocating thousands but common sense on where it goes ( keep away from power amps and speakers)