• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

CD not ejecting/catching problem

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Imac is about year old, white with CD slot on right.

i was burning some CDs, and then one decided it would not eject, kept making trying to come out, but would remount after failed attempts.

I read trying to squeeze the cd slot side of the imac, so i pressed it hard as i could and it ejected. Something about the amount of play inside, so they catch on sides maybe?.

Problem is with the silly white material in the way you cant see the CD or slot.

I know its not right, so might need to get it looked at, anyone had this problem?

thanks

jamiesdad

Imac is about year old, white with CD slot on right.

i was burning some CDs, and then one decided it would not eject, kept making trying to come out, but would remount after failed attempts.

I read trying to squeeze the cd slot side of the imac, so i pressed it hard as i could and it ejected. Something about the amount of play inside, so they catch on sides maybe?.

Problem is with the silly white material in the way you cant see the CD or slot.

I know its not right, so might need to get it looked at, anyone had this problem?

thanks

Hi mate

yes had similar problem a few months back

my memory is shocking but i am sure i switched off from mains
left for five mins then all was ok and ejected fine

Good luck

David:)

Tenex

Distinguished Member
I've found some are difficult to eject I don't know if its size or the edge finish on the DVD - others in the same brand seemed OK. If you want to force a manual eject ISTR you need to restart holding down the shift key.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
I get it looked at, its doing it with DVDs as well, catching and not coming out, till after about 3 eject button presses and pinching side of slot :(

I can clone my apps, files with super duper onto a external? - as i have a G4 quicksilver, as need it for work 24/7

I will get extended warranty for it, and if worse in next 3wks i get it fixed.

- i have to leave all software and files on there?, so many i have no choice.
- how long will it be out of action? ie returned..
- do i take to a store, or does a courier pick it up?

thanks

rai

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Assuming its under a year old or you have Applecare then depending on what's easiest for you either phone Applecare or take it to your nearest Apple store.

Here's some advice: create a guest a/c because if they need to repair they will need to switch it on and ensure its booting OK and that way you don't need to reveal your own a/c password.

leckie

This sounds like a warped case, even without applecare you might be able to have this fixed as it's an obvious defect that has happened through no fault of your own.

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Me included, but outside 12 months its slim but would be helped if you hadn't previously used AppleCare.

leckie

Me included, but outside 12 months its slim but would be helped if you hadn't previously used AppleCare.

Very true, if it was a big problem you knew was going to be expensive you could always buy applecare before getting it fixed (Tenex can you confirm if that is an option?)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Assuming its under a year old or you have Applecare then depending on what's easiest for you either phone Applecare or take it to your nearest Apple store.

Here's some advice: create a guest a/c because if they need to repair they will need to switch it on and ensure its booting OK and that way you don't need to reveal your own a/c password.

I took it into Bluewater Apple on Friday, and following Monday 7pm it was ready to collect!. Granted it was easy to fix by putting in a new optical drive but unlike some places they just got it done quickly without no fuss, so thanks to them.

But as i had to wedge the dvd bevel slot a few times to try and get out the cd/dvds i had marked it with little bumps, so they replaced the bezel strip around the imac on their own accord, which was nice of them. :)

Thanks for everyone's input.

Now i need to get Applecare Imac, as my 12 month warranty is almost up. Its 2yrs as my first year is up?

Is this available elsewhere slightly cheaper than from Apple online/store?

Last edited:

Tenex

Distinguished Member
lots of sellers on eBay and according to posters on here even eBay US bought ones are valid so go get a bargain.

neh0

I'd recommend Ebay or a US retailer to take advantage of the strong pound against the dollar.

Bought Applecare for a macbook from a ebay.com (US seller) and it validated OK and was nearly half price.

Ned Senior

I'd recommend Ebay or a US retailer to take advantage of the strong pound against the dollar.

Bought Applecare for a macbook from a ebay.com (US seller) and it validated OK and was nearly half price.

Hey guys when you have your applecare disc do you need to run it to activate it?? or is the fact that you just have one good enough for them to act upon the warranty if it is needed??? May have to run ours tonight when I get home!!!

EDIT ... Turns out when I logged in at apple.com the iMac was listed as covered till 2010 November so must have registered when it arrived sieve brained drongo that I iz

Last edited:

neh0

The main thing you need is the activation code which can always be emailed to you and you register this on the Apple Support site.

The disk (techtool deluxe) is often out of date and the Tiger version wouldn't work with Leopard and you had to download a new version/patch.

Ned Senior, glad to hear you're covered.

Now off to check out ebay for another Apple Care package for another piece of Apple kit ;)

Ned Senior

The main thing you need is the activation code which can always be emailed to you and you register this on the Apple Support site.

The disk (techtool deluxe) is often out of date and the Tiger version wouldn't work with Leopard and you had to download a new version/patch.

Ned Senior, glad to hear you're covered.

Now off to check out ebay for another Apple Care package for another piece of Apple kit ;)

Thanks Neho

We got the imac just as tiger went to leopard so the box had the new os bunged inside on disc... had to update it myself so I imagine techtool is out of date for us too hopefully won't need it anyhoo

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom