1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD hiss

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dave20, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not totally sure which forum this subject would come under, but here goes.

When listening to CD's i have noticed a hiss between tracks and on quiet parts of the songs. when the system is up loud this hiss is quit noticable and annoying. In car audio CD hiss would generally be the source unit. is this the same in home audio? or is the hiss comman to everyone and un-curable?

or just some suggestions on what to do (upgrades) to get rid of the horrible hiss ;)

thanks

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CD players should not hiss.. however saying that I've noticed units with HDCD decoders do make a very slight hiss (only noticeable when stupidly loud (way beyond moshing volume)

Brothers Rotel HDCD CD Player and my Tag DAC20 do output a little hiss.

However in most casers it's the pre-amp, or possibly the poweramp. Or maybe poor shielded cables.

:)

3. Anodyne

Anodyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    The hiss you're hearing is possibly the sound of the analogue master tape used to master the CD.

Which CDs are you hearing it on?

Will

4. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well.. i notice it on Evanesence - Fallen album.. not tried any others. just wondering if it was comman with all

i am actually playing the cd through my DVD player if thats any help

5. Anodyne

Anodyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    If it's originally an analogue recording transferred to CD then the hiss is actually a good thing as it shows that you are retrieving the maximum amount of information from the master tape.
    For example older material is sometimes remastered using no-noise systems which take away the hiss resulting in a flattening of dynamics and a loss of musical information.

The best thing to do is try a variety of CDs, its likely you'll find that anything recorded digitally won't have the hiss, in which case everything is functioning as it should.

Also you'll get a certain amount of low level hiss from the power amps in your receiver, again perfectly normal.

Will

6. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i must admit the evanesence album is quite flat in dynamics, but thats the CD i know.

thanks for the rest of the information