CD Help

D

d.ten

My system comprises of a marantz CD 52, Audiolab 8000s and 8000sx (pre & Power amp), chord interconnects and Aucoustic energy AE109's I want to upgrade the Cd player and would like some advice on options. I have between £250 -£350 to spend. I have seen Audiolab 8000cd going for £350 but would like opinions on the secondhand Rega planet 2000 or a Meridian 206 or similar.

I listen mainly to dance but am partial to the Grateful Dead, Ben Harper, Ann Peebles etc. I feel like my current player is lacking soul as i feel my system can offer more. Any advice would be grateful. :)

I currently have a rega planet (not for much longer), it is a cracking cd player, I would confidently recommend it, it is pretty good with dance, Ben Harper sounds ace. It can sound a little bass light, but should be fine with the audiolab. I used tag amps with it and it sounded great. Do try the arcams (CD 72, 82) as they use the same transport, with slightly different dacs. Especially it you can't hack a top loader. The marantz Cd 6000 is a much full-er sounding player, a bit too bloated for my personal tastes...

hope this helps

Thanks very much for that, i'll definatly look into the players you recommended. You said that you are getting rid of yours. is this an upgrade?

cheers

Yeah it will be, A friend needs a new cd player, and I er was looking for an excuse to upgrade.

for 350, you can get a great front end digital source.
i'd recommend these few (as i have heard them)

audiolab 8000cd
meridian 206, or 200/203 dac (am a bit biased as i have these)
arcam cd92/82
arcam alpha 9
arcam 8se (a belting player for the money)
rega planet
marantz cd17 (lovely bit of kit, built like the preverbial)
linn karik
naim cd 3.5

You can pick up a Toshiba SD-9500 for £350 if you watch the classfieds, as valid a choice as any I have seen mentioned so far. Dont rule out DVD based or SACD players either.

Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone out there have either an Audiolab 8000cd or Rega Planet 2000 for sale???????????????? :lease:

Audio T in brentford have one on the website for £199,

http://www.audio-t.co.uk/html/listings/index.php

They don't often post stuff out but for a £10 they will send it to your local store.

final word of advice use the spare bit of cash to buy a yello kimber mains cable. Its a thorny issue with many on the forum but with the rega cd player it made a big difference. You can get one 2nd hand on ebay. Or I might have a spare one for sale in a couple of weeks.

CJROSS said:
You can pick up a Toshiba SD-9500 for £350 if you watch the classfieds, as valid a choice as any I have seen mentioned so far. Dont rule out DVD based or SACD players either.

CJ>

You clearly like your Tosh unit. Are you anywhere near London, would be interesting to dem it against my CD transport/DAC sometime.

d.ten said:
Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone out there have either an Audiolab 8000cd or Rega Planet 2000 for sale???????????????? :lease:
Take a look in the 'ex dem/used sticky'
Lists of loads of ex dem/secondhand sites.

The 8000CD is great but when I had mine with my 8000A I found it a little light-weight might have been my speakers or my room though?

Mr_Sukebe said:
CJ>

You clearly like your Tosh unit. Are you anywhere near London, would be interesting to dem it against my CD transport/DAC sometime.

Nowhere near London Mike but thanks for the offer (nor do I doubt how good your kit sounds), And I demmed it against my old TAG DAC (used the SD-9500 as transport - a 40 spec jitter transport FYI) and liked it so much I sold the DAC 20. I just sometimes find it funny how devices like these are not "considered" in threads like this, use to have the same prejudice myself, Im glad I took a chance on one. Offers much more than CD to boot.

FWIW there is a lovely TAG DPR32A on the classifieds, would be a DAC upgrade and a Pre upgrade to the Audiolab pre you currently have. £550.

thanks all, appreciate the help. As i'm new to the forum how the hell do i get to the classifieds??????

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom